This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Download photos from Android cell?

How do you download photos from your Android cell phone (specific: Samsung Galaxy J3) to your PC using Kubuntu [14.04]?

It works instantly using Windows 10 (it's there OK, but you do have to click-peck-jump-through-hoops-exert-monkey-motions). In K 14.04, the device notifier sees it, lets me open it, shows some folders, but pops-up a red notice saying unable to read, or something like that. Obviously, it's a driver missing, so it seems. I'm still searching, but everything comes up for Windows PCs.

EDIT: I should clarify that I'm trying to do this using a USB cable connecting the phone to the PC.
    Last edited by Qqmike; Jun 22, 2018, 08:24 PM.
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Do you have KDE Connect installed on your phone? If not, go to the Google Play store and install it. It's easy to set up, and is already present in K14.04, I think. If not, it's in the package manager. Works fine with me, though my experience has been from 16.04 on up. Use the computer to get into the phone's picture files, select all you need to download, and let her rip. I first used the phone to download instead of the computer, and it took forever.

Comment

As we are talking about 14.04 it is very likely that kdeconnect version available there old old old ) is not going to work with the kdeconnect app. It might still work but the chances are not good.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

Comment

There will be no drivers to find, as they are not needed. The phone should be using the standard MTP protocol, but to be sure, you might want to check any USB settings on your phone. It might be set to be seen as a camera (PTP), not as a device with storage. Or vice versa

https://support.bell.ca/Mobility/Sma..._options_on_my

As you are on 14.04, you may have to install mtpfs package.

I can't remember that far back , but if you get two different options in the device notifier that look identical, try both, as one is for the camera protocol, and one is for filesystem access. Whichever one that might work depends on what is set on the phone. Also, being 14.04, it might simply not like the much newer phone with one or the other connection type.

And believe it or not, even though it is working in Windows, try using a different cable and/or usb port.

Comment

This is solved. Thanks, claydoh, for taking time to sort this one out for me.

As you are on 14.04, you may have to install mtpfs package.
          It was not installed and apparently not necessary as I did the job without it. Then I installed it, but it didn't make a difference? The solution I used without it worked.

you might want to check any USB settings on your phone. It might be set to be seen as a camera (PTP), not as a device with storage. Or vice versa
          This was the key. Didn't see it at first, had to scroll way down to see it in the Notifications list.

if you get two different options in the device notifier that look identical, try both, as one is for the camera protocol, and one is for filesystem access. Whichever one that might work depends on what is set on the phone.
          Yes, thanks, as I did have to check all options, Stores, DCIM, etc. But was able to find all the photos on the cell phone.

And believe it or not, even though it is working in Windows, try using a different cable and/or usb port.
          I didn't test this, but do believe it!

And your link was helpful (in your Post #4).

So, yes, your Post# 4 contained all I needed, claydoh. Again, many thanks.

It's my wife's cell phone, and I'm not really used to it, except that being Samsung, it is very similar to my Samsung Galaxy tablet--a little common sense goes a long way in understanding one if you know the other. I'm still a flip-phone guy myself--and it does do texting!
          Last edited by Qqmike; Jun 22, 2018, 07:38 PM.
          An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Working...
          X