X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Thunderbird, why not in discovery. Alternative email software

Hi,
    So I am now rebuilding my computer after a massive failure. I am wanting to put Thunderbird back on, but I was unable to find it in discovery. I did find out I could apt-get install thunderbird, but I don't know if this is really a good idea.

Is there a reason for this (Thunderbird not in Discovery)?
    As in should I use something else for reasons that I have not read about? (I did read something about Mozilla separated it and are/where looking for programmers or some such thing)
    Is it still safe and fully functional to apt-get install thunderbird ? Future support, latest version, auto updates, etc

Does someone have an email software that they would recommend?
    Needs to have Calendar integration, a decent backup archiving option, and PGP integration, multiple 'profiles' (work, home, social, etc)

-- I should probably post this elsewhere but I'll ask as I am here.
    A decent EMAIL backup. Like I used to have with Outlook 2007. I could at the start of the year, backup all last years mail, into a single ost file, and remove it from the email. (THIS kept emails in there original folders, subfolders, dates, etc) If I needed to look for something i could simply 're-load' that archive ost file, temporary, search, read-copy-whatever, then remove.
    My email software would open up much quicker.
    The last few I tried with Thunderbird (which is why I've lost 7 years of emails) is that they either didn't separate last years emails or just lumped them all unsorted into one single folder. I did attempted once to create a backup folder, and manually create and copy each primary email-folder into it, but there still was no way to separate the backup folder out of thunderbird. I have read something called MozBackup but thats 6 years old

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Charles
    Last edited by CharlieDaves; Jun 14, 2018, 12:16 PM. Reason: spelling

It's in my Discover (Neon), I'll have to check my Kubuntu system later, but I'm pretty sure it's there as I have it setup on both.
    Attached Files
    If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

Thunderbird email is available in the Discover Software Center. I show a conventional install and a Flatpak version.

-=Ken=-

Oops, didn't see the post from SpecailEd.
      Last edited by kenj70; Jun 14, 2018, 01:23 PM.
      -=Ken=-
      "A man has to know his limitations." Harry Callihan (Dirty Harry)
      DIY ASRock AB350, AMD Ryzen 3 1200, 16 GB RAM, nvidia GT-710, kubuntu 20.04

Comment

There is an issue with the Ubuntu appstream data for Thunderbird so it doesn't show up. Neon by necessity generates their own and doesn't use Ubuntu's, so avoids this annoyance.
        On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Thunderbird not showing is likely a packaging bug, where the proper app data needed for the various software store type of thing is missing or broken, so it isn't seen by these app-centric programs.

Using Discover, Muon, Synaptic, or apt is purely a preference for you to choose, as there is no real difference in the end, othert than how it looks when it is doing its thing.

Discover - program focused, so non-executable things such as system libraries and the like will not be shown. You get a screen shot and reviews, if any have been submitted

Muon, Synaptic - full package management, with every tiny little (and mostly useless) doodad available

Command line - a quicker way of using a full package manager.

It is all up to you. There is no right or wrong one to choose. Personally, I use the tray icon to do all my updates, and then use the command line for most everything else, asI usually know exactly what I want. If I want to find a game or something I may not know about, I use Discover to browse

As to email/PIM clients, Thunderbird, Kontact, and Evolution have the most features, with Kontact/Kmail probably having the most
          https://userbase.kde.org/Kontact
          https://userbase.kde.org/KMail
          and
          https://userbase.kde.org/Kmail/Backup_Options

I used to use Kontact, for about 12-13 years, but never was a power user. I went to web mail after cutting my accounts down to 2, but I never had any issues with it in recent years. Some will complain about it, but mostly based on past pre-conceptions, similar to those claiming that Plasma is a heavy, resource-eating monster.

Comment

Unless you are using an SSD, Discovery is ... too slow and too many pictures. Muon is, IMO, a better apt client.
            As far as an email replacement for Outlook you should give Evolution a look:
            https://www.techrepublic.com/article...-email-client/
            It is in the repository, and no longer depends on Mono libraries. It is, some people say, a clone of Outlook, but I've never run Outlook and can't say. I have installed Evolution and am giving it a try. I like what I see so far, and when I have an email plugin on my browser to email a link of a web page Evolution opens nicely and display the title in the subject line and the URL as the first line in the email.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Thanks -GreyGeek & claydoh & SpecialEd.
              Probably should have mentioned all I installed was kubuntu and 'Discovery' was all that I could see to install stuff with. Thunderbird shows up in Muon :-)
              I have a look at thos email client suggestions. Again, thanks.

Comment

Your welcome. Evolution is supposed to be (or was) a fairly close drop in replacement for Outlook.
                Anyway, after looking at it myself I decided to switch to it from Thunderbird, and finished that switch over several hours ago. Works well.
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Maybe you guys could clear up the mystery to me... Discovery... or Discover? All I know about is Discover.

-=Ken=-
                  -=Ken=-
                  "A man has to know his limitations." Harry Callihan (Dirty Harry)
                  DIY ASRock AB350, AMD Ryzen 3 1200, 16 GB RAM, nvidia GT-710, kubuntu 20.04

Comment

kenj70 I believe it is just Discover, without a 'y'.
                    Kubuntu 23.11 64bit under Kernel 6.8.7, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

Originally posted by kenj70 View Post
                      Maybe you guys could clear up the mystery to me... Discovery... or Discover? All I know about is Discover.

-=Ken=-
                      My typo, or bad memory, take your pick. And, consult my sig.

Comment

Originally posted by TWPonKubuntu View Post
                        kenj70 I believe it is just Discover, without a 'y'.
                        Its .desktop file, /usr/share/applications/org.kde.discover.desktop, has
                        Code:
                        [Desktop Entry]
                        Name=Discover
                        Name[ar]=استكشف
                        Name[ast]=Discover
                        Name[ca]=Discover
                        Name[ca@valencia]=Discover
                        Name[da]=Discover
                        Name[de]=Discover
                        and
                        Code:
                        Exec=plasma-discover %F
                        Just to keep things interesting, there's also discover, not installed by default in Kubuntu 18.04, AFAICT, which is described as a "hardware identification system".
                        Last edited by chimak111; Jun 15, 2018, 08:13 PM.
                        Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Though the apt frontends like Moun and Diiscover are fine tool you can always install most apps with apt in a terminal it's fast and works just as well. Only thing you need to know is the exact package name. For Thunderbird it would
                          Code:
                          sudo apt install thunderbird
                          As mentioned evolution works well also.
                          Dave Kubuntu 20.04 Registered Linux User #462608

Wireless Script: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...5#post12350385

Comment

Thanks. Use Muon

Comment

Originally posted by kc1di View Post
                              Though the apt frontends like Moun and Diiscover are fine tool you can always install most apps with apt in a terminal it's fast and works just as well. Only thing you need to know is the exact package name. For Thunderbird it would
                              Code:
                              sudo apt install thunderbird
                              As mentioned evolution works well also.
                              And that's why each tool has it's own strength and weakness. The last time I looked at Discover, a couple of days ago, I was surprised at how the presentation had improved from a year or so ago.
                              The next brick house on the left
                              Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

Working...
                              X