This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adding VPN Connections?

Is ther any way to add a VPN connection via terminal? I set up Nord VPN on all of my computers and it always follows a predictable and repetitive set up, I'm looking to make a script to automate the process, but I'm uncertain how to add a VPN connection via terminal.

Here is the Nord VPN set up page to see how they recommend doing it. I follow the graphical tutorial (Bottom half of the linked page) (https://nordvpn.com/tutorials/linux/openvpn/)

I created a directory in home called vpn. I copied the ones I regularly use from /etc/openvpn/ovpn_udp and renamed to shorter name like UK.ovpn or US.ovpn

from terminal sudo openvpn vpn/UK.ovpn

Comment

Ok I see, and then the graphical display updates with those interfaces?

Comment

Er no - sorry, I misunderstood what you were asking...

Comment

The commands given on the linked instructions are the ones you'd put in a script, mostly. But I have little script-fu skills.

I would, if you have not gone into a yearly plan, suggest Private Internet Access, which not only has a script to do all the setup, it even has a tray applet with useful settings, including an ad-block option, and gobs of servers. It is also a MUCH better value, it seems.

They also support a number of open-source projects. Been using them for nearly a decade now, I think.

Just note that very often, the security software in this forum will block VPN ip addresses from accessing KFN

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
            The commands given on the linked instructions are the ones you'd put in a script, mostly. But I have little script-fu skills.

I would, if you have not gone into a yearly plan, suggest Private Internet Access, which not only has a script to do all the setup, it even has a tray applet with useful settings, including an ad-block option, and gobs of servers. It is also a MUCH better value, it seems.

They also support a number of open-source projects. Been using them for nearly a decade now, I think.

Just note that very often, the security software in this forum will block VPN ip addresses from accessing KFN
            I can second P.I.A. I haven't been using it as long as caydoh --maybe a year now? It is very convenient and most reasonable.
            If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

Not really a fan of "security" that can be intercepted with a warrant or the rubber stamp equivalent from a FISA court.

Comment

I tend to agree, but wouldn't Nord's US servers still fall under this potential problem?
                It boils down to trust, basically, and at least we have choices in that area, for sure.

Comment

Anyway, back on-topic, I was digging through old stuff, looking for how PIA used to be set up, before they had a Linux program. The script downloaded a zip containing the vpn files for each of their servers, which put a connection entry into Network Manager for each. I can't find a copy of that script, even though I somehow have backups from back then. Could have seen what they copied where, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by PhysicistSarah View Post
                    Not really a fan of "security" that can be intercepted with a warrant or the rubber stamp equivalent from a FISA court.
                    Indeed.
                    https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/5-ways...-secure-think/
                    Well, we’ve got news for you. You’re not anonymous. While your VPN provider may well be promising that their service is anonymous, with no logging, there is no way that you can verify this. Indeed, it’s quite a leap of faith, under the circumstances.
                    “…you have absolutely no way to know for sure how safe a ‘No logs’ claim really is. Trusting your life to a no logs VPN service it is like gambling with your life in the Russian roulette.”
                    Wipe Your Data

And, VPN's have been known to lie about "No Logging"
                    https://www.goldenfrog.com/blog/pure...g-claims-false

http://www.wipeyourdata.com/other-da...ce-finds-logs/
                    Last edited by GreyGeek; Jun 11, 2018, 08:29 PM.
                    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

PIA has been subpoenaed by the FBI, but was not able to, or did not provide any logs. Not proof of no logs, mind you.

Also note that PureVPN in the above article is Hong Kong based, I think.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

Comment

I use a VPN almost every day, but, fortunately, I have yet to use one in a life or death situation. The risk/trust level required, suits my needs. If I was in a life and death situation, I might be more inclined to use a combo of T.A.I.L.S., VPN(s) and a burner, etc.
                        If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post

I will also say PIA is pretty cool. I just discovered them 2 weeks ago. So easy to install and run. No Issues for me so far.

***They have a current NOTE to users of Kubuntu 18.04 there may be issues with certain installs of Kubuntu 18.04 and PIA***, but all other *buntus from 16.04 A ok.

I was with HideMe and Nord both had NAFF linux help, I got better help from google.
                          Still use nord on win10 and android till the service expires.

Comment

Working...
                          X