This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to remove/disable Baloo?

Hi, this is a problem that goes back several years but I haven't been able to Google any recent solutions.

Baloo is locking up my daughter's laptop? Removing it also removes the Plasma-Desktop. Is there a way to disable it or remove it with a surgical strike? This application is a real problem.

Maybe: https://medium.com/@alexadam/disable...4-3f84f7dddb70
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks! I bet that will do the trick.

Comment

I disable baloo for the same reason.
        My prefered search tool is "locate".
        "man locate" describes it.
        There is a cron entry which runs updatedb.mlocate every day, to automatically freshen updatedb, locate's database. If you've made changes since the cron entry ran, or you want to manually freshen the locate database you can run "sudo updatedb" in a Konsole, and then "locate bin/name" or "locate *name*" or use a regexp as described in the man pages.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by vtpoet View Post
          Hi, this is a problem that goes back several years but I haven't been able to Google any recent solutions.

Baloo is locking up my daughter's laptop? Removing it also removes the Plasma-Desktop. Is there a way to disable it or remove it with a surgical strike? This application is a real problem.
          What was the command you tried that "also removes the Plasma-Desktop"?
          Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Thanks for that information. Baloo was crashing on me quite often. Now it's disabled and not going to be a irritation any more.

Comment

Baloo, when it works, is a treat. That's why I'm persisting with it.

I've narrowed its scope somewhat:
              Code:
              [Basic Settings]
              Indexing-Enabled=true

[General]
              dbVersion=2
              exclude filters=.moc,.pch,*.po,CMakeFiles,*.o,confstat,*.m4,.xsession-errors*,lost+found,.hg,*.part,__pycache__,*.swap,CMakeTmp,*.elc,CVS,libtool,Makefile.am,*.aux,
              *.lo,cmake_install.cmake,config.status,lzo,moc_*.cpp,ui_*.h,CMakeCache.txt,*.vm*,CMakeTmpQmake,
              *.rcore,*.pyc,.obj,*.gmo,core-dumps,confdefs.h,autom4te,qrc_*.cpp,conftest,*.rej,.histfile.*,*.class,po,*.tmp,
              *.la,*.loT,*.orig,.git,*.omf,*~,_darcs,.uic,CTestTestfile.cmake,.svn,.bzr,litmain.sh,*.moc,*.nvram,
              *.csproj,*.pc,*.jpg,*.png
              exclude filters version=2
              exclude folders[$e]=$HOME/.cache/,$HOME/.config/,$HOME/.mozilla/,$HOME/.themes/,$HOME/.thumbnails/,$HOME/MyFox/,$HOME/.dropbox/,$HOME/.dropbox-dist/,$HOME/.recoll/,$HOME/Public/GeanyBackups/,$HOME/Downloads/,$HOME/Desktop/,$HOME/Dropbox/Screenshots/,$HOME/.local/
              first run=false
              folders[$e]=$HOME/
              only basic indexing=false
              locate is useful for finding files but, depending on what one searches for, piping the output to grep -v helps.

To find content within files, recoll fits the bill if one doesn't want to use baloo. The nice thing about recoll is that you can set it to index only when you want.
              Last edited by chimak111; Jun 08, 2018, 12:23 AM.
              Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Thanks for that info!

This is what I like about KFN.
                I’ve been using Linux for 20 years and I’ve never heard about “recoll” 8)
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Since the subject is being discussed. I used to primarily use locate, and still do, but now use Angrysearch for most everything.

https://github.com/DoTheEvo/ANGRYsearch

Comment

Originally posted by vtpoet View Post
                    Since the subject is being discussed. I used to primarily use locate, and still do, but now use Angrysearch for most everything.

https://github.com/DoTheEvo/ANGRYsearch
                    WOW!
                    You just gave me my default search tool! It took less than a minute to build a database of 515,100 files. Search is truly instantaneous as I type and when I click on a line it opens Dolphin immediately. Very nice! Thanks!

The search & sort algorithm in angrysearch is something the muon developers should look at.
                    Last edited by GreyGeek; Jun 08, 2018, 10:27 AM.

Comment

I looked at the README.md but it wasn't clear that angrysearch indexes, or can index, file content. In other words, does it produce a list of files containing a particular string even when that string isn't part of the filename or file's path?
                      Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Originally posted by chimak111 View Post
                        I looked at the README.md but it wasn't clear that angrysearch indexes, or can index, file content. In other words, does it produce a list of files containing a particular string even when that string isn't part of the filename or file's path?
                        From what I read on the git site one can configure with two options: the fast (just indexes file names) and the slow (indexes file names and contents for text files).

Comment

From the GitHub page:
                          Everyone seems to be damn content with searches that are slow, populating results as they go; or are cli based, making it difficult to comfortably make use of the results; or are heavily integrated with a file manager, often limiting search to just home; or are trying to be everything with full-text file's content search.
                          Emphasis added by me.

Lite mode vs Full mode
                          angrysearch can be set to two different modes in its config, default being lite

lite mode shows only name and path
                          full mode shows also size and date of the last modification, the drawback is that crawling through drives takes roughly twice as long since every file and directory gets additional stats calls
                          makes no mention of indexing file content.

Search modes
                          there are 3 search modes, default being fast

fast mode - enabled when the checkbox next to the input field is checked
                          extremely fast, but no substrings, meaning it would not find "Pirates" or "Whiplash", but it would "Pirates" or "The-Fifth"
                          slow mode - enabled when the checkbox is unchecked, slightly slower but can find substrings, also very litteral with non typical characters
                          regex mode - activated by the F8 key, indicated by orange color background
                          slowest search, used for very precise searches using regular expressions, set to case insensitive,
                          unlike the previous search modes not entire path is searched, only the filenames/directory names
                          again, makes no mention of providing search results based on file content.
                          Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Yup, looks like I was wrong.

Comment

Angrysearch looks cool, but i think it only index file names.
                              The cool part of desktop search is file content.

Comment

Working...
                              X