X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu 18.04 instability

Hello,
    First I want to thank the kubuntu team for their work, I really mean it because I know how hard it is to maintain a system. So even if I'm going to moan about several things, thanks.

I made a fresh install of kubuntu 18.04, from linux mint kde 18.03 (because they stopped the kde support). Since then I ran into many bugs and some of them really important. They are so many, I don't know what to do and I'm not sure how to report them correctly :

My ethernet stops working after suspend (r8169) this is a known bug. A workaround (restart with modeprob) used to work for a while, but now it isn't working every time. Usually I have to restart the system.
    When I use libreoffice (I only tried writer) there is a chance the display freezes. The session crashes after about 30 seconds (and I lose the work of course)
    On battery mode (it seems to be only in battery mode), most of the time (not every time) my laptop doesn't complete the suspend (still powered up)
    In the same way (most of the time on battery mode) when I shut down my laptop it doesn't completes. It is still powered up and I have to maintain the power button.
    On battery mode, some of my usb ports doesn't works.

So, I have to say it's quiete anoying, especially for an LTS version.

How should I report all of that and is there a chance some patches will fix that or should I move to another distro ?

Olivier.
    Last edited by Snowhog; Jun 10, 2018, 09:02 PM.

Try another distro. I'm saying this because I haven't seen the same problems you're seeing on my Kubuntu 18.04. For me, it's been stable and essentially problem-free.
    Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Is your swap partition bigger than the size of your RAM?
      What is your display chip and which video driver are you using?
      LibreOffice worked great for me when I tried Bionic (but I'm waiting for Neon to upgrade to 18.04), so it could be related to your video problem.

Kubuntu uses systemd. You can try "sudo systemctl restart NetworkManager" or, "networking"
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

It would be good to get a complete overview of your system specs... hardware and any previous software setup (ie dual boot OS on the same drive, mount setup, etc.).
        Nowadays I'm mostly Mac, but...
        tron: KDE neon User | MacPro5,1 | 3.2GHz Xeon | 48GB RAM | 250GB, 1TB, & 500GB Samsung SSDs | Nvidia GTX 980 Ti

Comment

Well I never use hibernate so I guess the swap shouldn't be involved. Even if it is I have 9.5 Gib of swap for 8Gib of RAM. For graphics informations, here is an extract of glxinfo :
          Code:
          [FONT=monospace]Extended renderer info (GLX_MESA_query_renderer):
             Vendor: Intel Open Source Technology Center (0x8086)
             Device: Mesa DRI Intel(R) HD Graphics 530 (Skylake GT2)  (0x191b)
             Version: 18.0.0
             Accelerated: yes
             Video memory: 3072MB
             Unified memory: yes
             Preferred profile: core (0x1)
             Max core profile version: 4.5
             Max compat profile version: 3.0
             Max GLES1 profile version: 1.1
             Max GLES[23] profile version: 3.2
          [/FONT]
          And result of lspci
          Code:
          [FONT=monospace]00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation HD Graphics 530 (rev 06) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
                 Subsystem: CLEVO/KAPOK Computer HD Graphics 530
                 Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 131
                 Memory at de000000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16M]
                 Memory at c0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
                 I/O ports at f000 [size=64]
                 [virtual] Expansion ROM at 000c0000 [disabled] [size=128K]
                 Capabilities: <access denied>
                 Kernel driver in use: i915
                 Kernel modules: i915
          [/FONT]
          It would be good to get a complete overview of your system specs... hardware and any previous software setup (ie dual boot OS on the same drive, mount setup, etc.).
          I bought my laptop without any OS installed on it (I don't want to pay for something i won't use) even if this laptop is also sold with windows.

Here is a full result of lshw : https://pastebin.com/MqLLSDUA

Comment

Through the days, I faced some new bugs like random total system freeze when I unplug some usb stuff. So that's it, I quit, sorry but it is far too many critical bugs for a supposed LTS mainstream distro. I never had these when I was using linux mint so I suppose they are regressions in the distribution.

Comment

I suspect that you are having video configuration problems, based on your "freeze" complaints.

You never said if you did a checksum on the ISO you downloaded, or if you checksummed the USB stick/CD (?) you burned. Also, you never said how you configured your system when you installed it and how you changed it after you installed it.

Does it seem reasonable to you to blame Kubuntu 18.04 as being "unstable" when so few, or none, report the problems that you are having, which you claim to be bugs? Did you install the dev packages and do backtraces when you had a crash to verify software errors? If so, where are they? Where did you report them to?

I installed Bionic on bare metal of my 6 year old Acer V3-771G and had ZERO problems with it.
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

... too many critical bugs for a supposed LTS mainstream distro...
                FWIW, I agree (though 18.04 has been mostly stable for me).

But, if you want stability in an LTS release, wait for the .1 release, usually 3 months later. In practice, and IME, LTS *buntu releases are no more stable than non-LTS releases initially. They do usually become so, however. There's people clinging to 14.04 still.

Regards, John Little
                Regards, John Little

Comment

14.04 was an excellent distro. I had two problem-free years with it.

Comment

Working...
                  X