Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Serious problem with Yubikey, need help Worried I will be locked out of my computer.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Serious problem with Yubikey, need help Worried I will be locked out of my computer.

I recently purchased a Yubikey, and successfully set it up for two factor authentication for my password manager, KeepassXC.

I then tried to follow these instructions, to set it up for 2FA to logon to the computer and get root access:

https://developers.yubico.com/yubico...-Response.html

However, while it works to logon when I restart the computer, and when I switch to a new session, it does not work when I lock the computer and come back, even though I put in the correct password, and I have to restart the computer.

I tried uninstalling libpam-yubico, but then I tested trying to get sudo in a new terminal with just the password, and it doesn't accept my password. I kept a terminal with root, and tried changing the password, but when I open a new terminal, open Muon, etc. it still doesn't accept the password.

I am really afraid to turn off my computer, for fear that I will never be able to log on! What should I do?

Please help, I would really appreciate it.

Seems awfully complicated for login security. Work for the NSA?

When you uninstalled did you uninstall:
    "the state information to a file in the current user’s home directory ($HOME/.yubico/challenge-123456) for a YubiKey with serial number API readout enabled, and $HOME/.yubico/challenge for one without"

If not, they would still be there when you re-installed. Hate to say what condition they'd be in after the second install. Double entries?
    Last edited by GreyGeek; May 31, 2018, 08:20 PM.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

That directory exists, but there is nothing in it. I tried to reinstall and re-initialize the challenge code, but it tells me it cannot overwrite that file because it doesn't have permission. Even though the file does not exist...

I am an attorney, I have a lot of confidential and sensitive client data and documents on my computer, and if someone were to get access to for example SSNs, it's on me...

Comment

I figured it out, I had a "deny" in a place I should have had a "permit" :-D

Thanks for responding to me, I really appreciate it!

Comment

You're welcome, counselor, glad you got it sorted out.
          (Before I retired I did a lot of work as a forensics investigator, mostly homicides, because of my biology, math and physics certifications. Worked a lot with lawyers and county attorneys.)
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
          X