X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Japanese Input?

Hello,

I'm leaning Japanese, and am curious as to how to set this up in Kubuntu. Unfortunately, there aren't many tutorials for this that are up to date, or are for Kubuntu specifically (Although I'm not sure if there is a difference, I assume there would be a slight difference for integration and ease of use purposes ).

I just want to be able to type all 3 of Japanese's major writing styles (Hiragana, Katakana, an Kanji)

Thanks!

sudo apt update
    sudo apt install fcitx (accept all additional packages)
    (Or, install fcitx and additional packages using Muon)

From System Settings --> Input Devices --> Keyboard -->Layouts
    Check "Configure Layouts" and then click the "Add" button, and go from there.
    On the "Advanced" tab check the "Japanese Keyboard Options" box and select from the options under it.

"ubuntu-keyboard-japanese" is in the repository but it won't install on my PC. Maybe it will on yours?
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

@GreyGeek The ubuntu-keyboard-japanese repository wasn't available on my machine either. I enabled the default japanese keyboard layout via Layouts/Add Keyboard/Japanese Default, but It doesn't type any japanese characters, and there isn't a way to switch between hiragana/katakana/kanji that I can see. The JP icon appears on the dash, so I know its using the Japanese keyboard.

I know that a lot of people were talking about the mozc packages and ibus, maybe that has something to do with it?

Comment

@GreyGeek The ubuntu-keyboard-japanese repository wasn't available on my machine either. I enabled the default japanese keyboard layout via Layouts/Add Keyboard/Japanese Default, but It doesn't type any japanese characters, and there isn't a way to switch between hiragana/katakana/kanji that I can see.

Ok, I got it: this one worked https://askubuntu.com/a/765090/645874

Comment

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Hi I was hoping that someone could help me to get this work on Kubuntu 18.04 LTS as I'm struggling.

I'm using a LogiCool K750 keyboard which I've been using on both Windows and Mint Cinnamon fine for the last 8 years but having switched to Kubuntu in Jan I just can not figure out how to set it up so that I can type in both English and Japanese (all three written forms).

I've followed the steps above as well as those on https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...light=japanese and here (https://askubuntu.com/questions/7650.../765090#765090) but nothing actually works and the keyboard layout just does not contain options with the correct layout for this keyboard which is a pretty standard Japanese layout.

The keyboard I have uses this layout

At the moment I may have to switch back to Mint as it just picks up the Japanese language support and the keyboard where as Kubuntu doesn't seem to support it or is that an issue with Plasma 5?

System Details
            KDE Plasma 5.12.7
            KDE Frameworks 5.44.0
            Qt Version' 5.9.5
            Kernel 4.15.0-47-generic

Comment

Working...
            X