This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Loop Device?

After a recent update, I've now got two entries for "Loop Device" in my file manager. I've looked into what "Loop Device" is, and I don't see any obvious reason for it to be there. Did Kubuntu create it automatically, or have I accidentally done it somehow?
    Last edited by Jeremy_Ray; May 30, 2018, 07:21 AM.

Did you install any Snap packages?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

If you use mount OR lsblk in a Konsole you will see a loop device for every snap file you've installed.
      And, even if you don't install a snap package, snap itself creates at least two, possibly three, loop devices, one for its core and one for snap's KDE-Framework.
      Code:
      $ lsblk
      NAME   MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
      loop1    7:1    0  86.6M  1 loop /snap/core/4486
      sdb      8:16   0 698.7G  0 disk 
      └─sdb1   8:17   0 698.6G  0 part 
      loop2    7:2    0 221.6M  1 loop /snap/kde-frameworks-5/16
      loop0    7:0    0  86.6M  1 loop /snap/core/4571
      sdc      8:32   0 698.7G  0 disk 
      └─sdc1   8:33   0 698.7G  0 part 
      sda      8:0    0 698.7G  0 disk 
      └─sda1   8:1    0 698.7G  0 part /home
      After purging snapd (the daemon) you'll get SOMETHING this (I use Btrfs):
      Code:
      $ lsblk
      NAME   MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
      sdb      8:16   0 698.7G  0 disk 
      └─sdb1   8:17   0 698.6G  0 part 
      sdc      8:32   0 698.7G  0 disk 
      └─sdc1   8:33   0 698.7G  0 part 
      sda      8:0    0 698.7G  0 disk 
      └─sda1   8:1    0 698.7G  0 part /home
      If you don't use or plan to use snap then you can uninstall it.
      That's one reason why I prefer AppImage.
      Last edited by GreyGeek; May 14, 2018, 06:15 PM.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Indeed I did. If that's where the Loop Devices came from, I won't worry about it.

Comment

It seems I've spoken too soon. I started out with two loop devices, now I have five. These things breed like rabbits. How do I get rid of them?

Comment

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1011...-the-same-snap

There are eight loop devices in /dev/ (0 through 7) plus a loop controller. They can be used and reused as many times as is needed. For snap loops:
            In speaking with Ubuntu developers, the current default is to keep three prior versions of a snap so that you can roll-back to a prior version if needed. This default setting is not configurable. You can use the command snap remove --revision=<an old one> snapname to remove an older revision of a snap.

They are considering whether to have only the current snap mounted as a loop filesystem, but I don't know the status of that.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Yes, I'm getting these loop devices too. This clearly needs fixing. I understand this was fixed in Gnome when they started appearing in there.
              Fortunately it's already been reported as a bug here: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=379516
              and here:
              https://bugs.launchpad.net/canonical...e/+bug/1666893

Comment

Working...
              X