X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't browse samba shares

Hi,

I am running Kubuntu 6.06 on P4 3GHz and yesterday I installed KDE 3.5.3 using Automatix. Unfortunately, now I can't browse samba shares on my local network. I've changed the settings in "K --> System Settings --> Network Settings" to my computer name and the domain name of my LAN. I also added my domain name in "K --> System Settings --> Zeroconf Service Discovery", both to no avail.

The message I received in Konqueror is:

"Unable to find any workgroups in your local network. This might be caused by an enabled firewall".

I've turned off my firewall (I am using firestarter by the way) and still get the same message. I don't know what other program that might be preventing me from browsing Samba shares.

I've installed installed samba, sambafs, smb4k, zeroconf, mdns-scan (I installed them based on things that I've read from googling) but the same error kept showing up. Could someone help please... Is there some firewall-like application in Kubuntu that I have to turn off or is there some configuration stuff that I didn't know I had to change? I am a newbie and totally lost in what I have to do...

Thanks in advance.

Re: Can't browse samba shares

Ok, maybe it got nothing to do with my upgrade of KDE, hehe.

I've tried to change samba config. I can now see the workgroup and my computer, but I still can't see other computers in my workgroup. Also, if I reboot, the previous problem occur again..

If anyone can help, please...

Comment

Hi theBongo

Just been googling myself to try to resolve the problem and I seem to have got there.

By a long route I figured out there was a connection between Zeroconf / avahi-daemon service and SMB browsing. I have now removed Zeroconf and Avahi and bingo .. I can now browse my Windows boxes again.

I am absolutley positive they used to co-exist and I was also wondering if the recent upgrade broke something. So now I think I will now reinstall them and see if it breaks SMB browsing again.

Good luck!!

theGerbil

Comment

Hi again ...

OK it's official .. I reinstalled Zeroconf and the avahi-daemon and I could not browse using SMB.

I de-installed the avahi-daemon and restarted the PC (because I'm sure zeroconf was installed by default?!). I could then browse to folder level but couldn't view the files .. I received time-out messages.

I then de-installed Zeroconf and restarted the PC. I can now browse to file level on my Windows PC's.

By the way, my SMB printing was also broken .. and now has been fixed at the same time.

I shall have to research how Zeroconf and SMB can co-exist.

Good luck!!

theGerbil

Comment

I am having the same problem, and Simon cannot print using the printer that is attached via parallel port to my pc, which WAS shared with him when we both had Ubuntu running.

If I un-install those items, am I risking breaking anything?
          I don&#39;t have a brain, I have a nucleus, basic functions are a doddle, yet ask me a question and I&#39;m dead.<br /><br />Tamed Nature

Comment

Thanks theGerbil. I've uninstalled zeroconf, and now can browse Samba.

However, I now have a new problem. I have uninstalled firestarter from last time, and now am using Guarddog. The thing is, it seems that even though I have configured it to allow samba protocols (both on local and workgroup), I wouldn't be able to browse samba shares when I first log in to Kubuntu. I would have to disable the firewall first, and then enable it again before samba would work. This also happens when I want to download torrents using Azureus.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Comment

Working...
            X