This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Experience the Evolution of Bionic 18.04 to Cosmic 18.10

I must say that I was surprised to see at the site: http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/daily-live/current/ the iso images for the next Kubuntu distribution Cosmic. When I went there I did not even know that it is now called Cosmic Cuttlefish.

Well, I could not resist the temptation to download it and try it out. So for those who like to experiment with the development of new releases, here is your opportunity.

The current state of this system is shown in the graphic below:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Cosmic.png
Views:	1
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	649329
    I look forward to also seeing how well Wayland works through this development process. So congratulations to the the developers for the current state of this system

This version is steadily getting more features such as KDE Frameworks whick is now 5.46 and the Kernel is 4.15.0-23.

Unfortunately it is showing the signs early development. A new feature is that the desktop hangs after starting a window and then exiting. The clue is that the task still stays on the task bar after it has exited and no other menu selection works. Even shutting down is not possible and I find the fastest way is to just hold down the power button until the laptop is off.

I experience identical behaviour on two different laptops that I have 18.10 installed on.

OOPS!

I have just had updates on both Cosmic laptops and the problem is now fixed still there but not so easily provoked. I had been experiencing this for over a week and I finally gave up waiting and decided to mention this problem. Looks like I should have waited another few hours.

I am enjoying the progress and look forward to Cosmic's progress - keep up the good work.
    Last edited by NoWorries; Jun 11, 2018, 05:00 AM.

Comment

"No, that's not my dog, it's a raccoon ... wait! don't" ... BANG! " ...shoot!"
      Now a dead coon hound.
      An actual event! (I was the shooter!).

Moral: make sure its not a dog before you shoot!

Long story:
      Ralph and I often went Raccoon hunting for pelts during the season. Ralph wanted a trained coon hound but didn't want his wife to know that he had spent $250 to buy one, so he asked me to keep it at my house out in the country. I agreed. Pelts at the time brought $10-25 each at the time. The first time we took it hunting he turned the dog loose and it ran off. We never saw it again.

Two hours later we're walking the bank of the South Platte about 1/2-3/4 miles from where we released the hound and I scope a raccoon in a tree about 100 yrds away. The raccoon scampers down the tree and disappears through a notch in an embankment on the edge of the river. Almost immediately two eyes shine in the spot light at exactly the same notch the raccoon chose to take the river exit. "Is that your dog, Ralph?"

Ralph's wife never believed him that the dog was mine. He owned the Standard Gas Station in the town at which I taught HS. She had been keeping an eye on the book, unknown to him, so his elaborate ruse was for naught.
      Last edited by GreyGeek; Jun 11, 2018, 10:54 AM.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Normally a post slowly goes off topic. But GG has given a good example with the above post going off topic in one step. Hopefully this is a rare event on this forum. As of this stage, Cosmic has is own post started by Snowhog where all my future comments will be made.

The current status of Cosmic on my system is:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Cosmic_Info.png
Views:	1
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	643890

My previous comment regarding the Cosmic desktop freezing is thankfully no longer present. Updates are a very regular happening which shows the fast rate of progress by the developers.

Comment

Moral: make sure your problem is a bug before you report it as such.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Have you installed Cosmic and, if so, when did you do it and on how many different hardware platforms?

Comment

Working...
            X