This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tbird and changes at entity or MS cloud system

The old woodsmoker was GLAD to determine that the SNAFU with outgoing mail today was NOT the fault of Tbird but was a situation with the college and/or MS "enhancements".

This is a commentary for people NEW to trying to use Thunderbird and possible problems that may be encountered.

It is NOT an EXHAUSTIVE statement about "doing this or doing that". the NEW USER will have to do one's homework but...

THE INITIAL SETUP for the IMAP account that uses MS will probably GO EFFORTLESSLY.

That is stated quite seriously.

The only seemingly continuing problems are listed below.

LET ME CLEARLY STATE that Thunderbird, in and of itself, has, as far as this user has interacted with it, been able to interact with something like MS Outlook (tm ) IMAP e-mail.

This user has always been a FANBOI for Kontact and there are dozens of such posts in the dungeons generated by this user to get Kontact to work with the college's IMAP account.

So, it is not that this user is putting Kontact down or anything like that but after a while one has to "fish or cut bait".

So, even though Tbird does not offer all the "bells and whistles" of Kontact the move had to be made.

This particular post was generated by the situation of either the entity or MS changing the "designated" "sent mail" folder.

In part, it would seem, because of the deletion of a LEGACY sent mail folder that was used before the college went "whole hog" to MS products and every body else can "jump in the lake".

So... to that end:

“Problems” for setting up an IMAP account that runs through the MS cloud “usually” center on ONE or MORE of the following:

HOWEVER there are other ancillary problems

a) in that MS is continually “enhancing” things which the entitiy, such as my college has to deal with so checking with the entity if there are problems is adiseable.
    b) Kwallet

Of note is that this particular college has purposely required certain capital letters in the “server name” which are “normally” acceptable as capital or small case.

ALSO THERE IS KWALLET, Kwallet can literally “get in the way” of things when it is jumping up to check this or that if one is powering on the computer or whatever.

An example might be that the entity required a password change and Tbird says it can’t get in.

You changed the password in Tbird but forgot to do it in Kwallet or maybe you do not use Kwallet and Kwallet now wants to get into the middle of things.

OR….you did change it in Kwallet and for some reason it didn’t get into Tbird... :0

I have always been of two minds about Kwallet sometimes it works just marvellously and other times it is a total snafu, on the same system within a short period of time. I am sure that this is really a “problem” with the whole thing about upstream or dowstream updates or whatever but it certainly has generated a LOT of heated comment on the net in the past.

Below are the things that were “problems for Kmail and not ever a problem for Tbird” but just today things SNAFUed so I thought that I would write this post.

The problem was not with Tbird but with either the college or MS changing the designated “sent mail” folder.

Again, the entitiy can fiddle with stuff and also the MS Cloud can require certain kinds of authentication which are not necessarily seen by a client like Tbird, or even Kmail.

Basically, MS wants people to use the MS system at the entity and not a client.

Here are the presently working settings for THIS USER in the Thunderbird settings for an IMAP account that is handshaking with Mscloud that are “usually a situation”.

++++++++

Server type: IMAP mail server

Server name: outl##k.office365.com

Where the ## stand for the letters “oo”.

User name is the e-mail address for the IMAP account such as woodsmokeAT AT whatever.edu

port 993 default 993

security is: SSL/TLS

Authentication method: Normal Password

SENT MAIL was changed to “SENT ITEMS”.

Of course ANY of the above can be changed by the entity such as Normal Password to another type, one will have to check with the entity.

SOMETIMES the entity will not actually publish this anywhere and one has to PRIVATELY contact the admins and even then one may not get a reply out of a fear that the user will somehow broadcast the information into the wild. Sheesh...it has been my LOCAL observation the newer admins especially have been given little or no training and often just told to “do what the security software reperesentative says”.

There can also be an ancillary problem that is caused by the entity having LEGACY sent-mail folders

A) LEGACY sent mail folder problems.

The REASON, I THINK that the “sent mail” folder was changed was that the college maintained a “legacy” sent mail folder and that, today disappeared.

As long as one was working WITHIN the colleges e-mail system things are fine but Tbird was looking for the previously named folder.

These folders can have various names such as “items sent by”...” or “ sent items” or “sent mail” or “sent”

Tbird cannot necessarily find what your particular admins, or the laterst twist by MS is using for the “sent” folder and you may have to designate it.

Again….MS can mess with this, possbly as a security thing or possibly to get people to use only MS products, but the “sent” designation “at the entity” can be changed willy nilly and suddenly Tbird is trying to put the sent mail into “sent mail” folder and MS has changed the pointer to “sent” or whatever and Tbird will sit and stall trying to put the sent mail into the previously designated folder.

So…...when the entity or MS changes the “sent mail” folder designation then T-bird just sits and spins.

One will have to search around on the entity’s server to find the designated folder, possibly by just “hunting and pecking”.

It is all just a hassle.

B) Incoming and Outgoing SMTP etc.

It used to be that there were two different things to fill out: Outgoing SMTP or Incoming. The latest MS does not differentiate and neither does Tbird which handles the situation just fine.

If anyone has COMMENTARY about the above to correct it or to add to it please so post, this is just for the old woodsmoker’s situation

Also, if anyone has information on how to get Kmail to work, I have been able to get it to work but have just given up on fiddling with it, please so post in this thread or another, approiately titled, thread.

woodsmoke
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!
Working...
X