X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dell Inspiron 15 7567 - live USB will not boot into Live system

Hi,

Just bought a brand new laptop. Thought I'd try out another Linux flava and went for Kubuntu (I've been using Solydk for years).

Negotiated the EUFI shortfalls (I think) and got laptop to boot into the "Welcome" page. However, when I hit "Try Kubuntu" the laptop just freezes.

This happens with both 18.04 and 17.10 installations.

USB boots quite happily on my other laptop (Toshiba Tecra R950).

Another reason why I went for this distro is that the enclosed documentation suggested Ubuntu could be installed on this laptop.

So, any pointers/suggestions would be more than welcome at this point, otherwise I'll probably have to stick with Solydk.

TiA
    t0nym

Assuming it is the same USB stick that “boots quite happily” on your Toshiba but not on your Dell, I’d recommend that you checksum both the ISO and the USB before anything else.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Interesting... many thanx for the input.

Checksum'd original iso:
      a847c0db6716f02f5160003f14aaec49ff7f699e7aa77f5261 ac715e9b7a4d4c ./kubuntu-18.04-desktop-amd64.iso

... which agrees with download site.

However, did this on USB (originally created via "dd"):

md5sum -c md5sum.txt

... which gave me a clean bill of health.

Or have I misunderstood...?

t0nym

Comment

Hello @ t0nym,
        First of all, I am a spanish-speaking user, I apologize for translation errors.
        I have exactly the same laptop, and the same problem. I created the boot usb with rufus, I started in UEFI mode.
        The solution is to add the command:
        nouveau.modeset=0

To add it, you must wait for the black screen to appear with 3 options to choose. By selecting the first option you must press the [E] key and that is where you must add the command to the end of the line. Then press F10 and proceed normally. This way, kubuntu live will be loaded.
        The problem is the default Nvidia video driver (from nouveau), what the command does is not load said driver. Logically, the laptop will heat up more because it does not have a driver. The Intel driver will work without problems.
        But the trick to having kubuntu running 100% is to install the proprietary nvidia driver.

A greeting.

Comment

Yes - thought it might be something like that; had problems with Nvidia cards in the past.
          Also attempted to boot up Ubuntu which just rendered both mouse and keyboard inoperable.
          @quantum-phy: many thanx. Won't be near said laptop 'til the weekend, so I'll update this thread on my attempt(s?) then.

t0nym

Comment

Hello @ t0nym,
            It is better that you wait for an official solution. There is a problem I forgot to tell you about:
            When using the Intel iGPU, the Nvidia dGPU will not turn off. In addition, the change between GPUs takes too long, even requiring a reboot (which did not happen in 17.10).
            So for the moment, better wait for a solution or the 18.04.1.

A greeting.

Comment

My try at Installing Kubuntu 18.04 on Dell 7567

Greetings,

Installed Kubuntu 18.04 today on my Dell Inspiron 15 Model 7567 (config - Intel i-7 7700HQ with 8 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD & 1 TB WD HDD, GPU Nvidia 1050Ti + Intel)
              Proceess followed
              BIOS Set Drives to AHCI
              Secure Boot Off
              boot off USB , at Ubuntu Display press "e" to go to grub menu , Select Fn+F6 for other options "select nomodeset" to ensure install does not hang (keeps Nvidia / intel gpu both on)
              Select Normal Install, proprietary drivers, uncheck updates for the time being
              At Disk Storage stage select Something else and define root (/partition) on SSD or HDD as prefered
              Select Boot record to sda (ssd - with preinstalled windows 10 if available), not sdb
              Set Swap to HDD as required (Else SWAP goes to SSD)
              /home can be set as left as it is
              Complete the installation at prompt , remove USB Stick and reboot
              After system reboots login as required (if you encounter black screen "ESC" and press "e" for advanced grub options and confirm nomodeset in the kernel line
              Open terminal "sudo nano /etc/default/grub" Add "" to linux GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash apci=off" CTRL+O to save , CTRL+X exits
              Confirm using "cat /etc/default/grub"
              IN terminal "sudo update-grub" should go through without errors
              IN terminal "sudo ubuntu-drivers autoinstall" for latest nvidia drivers (ver 390) & installs this drivers
              IN terminal "sudo nano /etc/default/grub" Add "" to linux GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash nvidia-drm.modeset=1" CTRL+O to save , CTRL+X exits (remove "acpi=off"
              IN terminal "sudo update-grub" to update nvidia & goes through without errors , reboot
              After login your laptop should be working with Nvidia Discrete GPU - nvidia-settings in menu will confirm Nvidia is properly configured
              Since I prefer the Nvidia to Intel (My Dell 22" HDMI Display is detected and I switched primary display to 22 inch with GPU HDMI sound output) I did not install bumblebee for switching between Intel & Nvidia
              Bumblebee can be installed to enable swicthing as required.

Doing the above I enjoy the Dell 7567. Coming from SUSE as OpenSuse Tumbleweed & Leap 15 as per SDB does'nt work with Nvidia. Wasted many hours following the SDB, forums , google to no avail.
              Hope this helps.

Screenshots
              https://ibb.co/n2kJKJ
              https://ibb.co/bHFw6y
              Last edited by ubuntufanrld; Jul 19, 2018, 06:26 AM. Reason: added screnshots

Comment

Working...
              X