Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

System Tray lacks Device Manager and Network icons after upgrade to 18.04.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

System Tray lacks Device Manager and Network icons after upgrade to 18.04.

After the upgrade, which generally went well, the System Tray Lacks icons for Network and Device Manager, things that were there in the previous version (16.08).

Also, there are no extra item options in the tray settings. I'd attach an image but apparently I don't have the permissions to do that.

I run Kubuntu on a laptop and desktop. Both these devices have been upgraded and both have the same issue.

Has anyone seen the same thing and is there a cure?

Thank you.

Do you have a triangle/upward arrow that displays a "show hidden icons" tooltip when you hover over it?

Comment

Originally posted by Bings View Post
      Do you have a triangle/upward arrow that displays a "show hidden icons" tooltip when you hover over it?
      No, I don't.

In the "System Tray Settings" there is no entry under "Extra Items." I'm pretty sure in the previous version there was a list of programs.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	system tray settings.png
Views:	1
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	643854

Do you see this in System Tray Settings? If not, try adding another system tray widget to the panel to see if a new one works.

Comment

Do you know how the site can be set so I can upload attachments? Would make it so much easier. Anyway ...

No, the only item I have on the screen shown above is for Korganiser. I tried installing second System Tray but it was the same.

As mentioned in my opening post, I have two machines with Kubuntu and they both have this issue.

For the record, I use Private Internet Access and it had an icon in the tray. Suspecting it may be the problem, I deleted that program but it hasn't changed the original issue.

Comment

It's probably an anti spam measure that will allow you to post attachments after a certain period, number of posts or something like that.

Did you try adding a new widget?

Also, did you upgrade directly from 16.10?

Comment

Yes, and it made no difference.

Upgraded from 17.10.

Comment

Did you install Kubuntu to both PCs using the same Live whatever?

Upgrading frequently brings these kinds of issues and tracking down the problem(s) and establishing a stable installation can take more time than saving your data, downloading and checksumming the ISO, burning the ISO to a USB stick and checksumming it, then doing a clean install on both PCs. Then restoring your data.
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Upgraded both from online downloads. 'do-release-upgrade'

The problem is an annoyance, not a show stopper. The only things I need from the tray are update notifier, removable devices, and network, and battery for the laptop. I have put the widgets in the Panel which works but they take up some space. I haven't seen any other major problems, although Chrome and Thunderbird take a lot longer to load in this release.

I am surprised that this issue hasn't been seen by others. I've updated linux installations of various flavours for years and never had any problems.

I'll consider doing a clean install of both in six months time. Thanks for the assistance so far.

Perhaps someone more adept than me may have the same issue and find the fix sometime in the future.

Comment

Working...
                  X