Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting that your getting the 396 driver as my Bionic install does not have that beta driver available from the repos.

@Here, I installed Bionic, activated the nVidia 390 (long term support) driver and it works flawlessly.

Please Read Me

Comment

The proprietary drivers recommendation dialog that popped up immediately after Bionic's desktop appeared offered me three choices: nvidia 384, 390 and 396 and 390 was preselected and marked as recommended. I continued with that dialog and the recommended driver. When it was done my GT 650M wouldn't take control. It took an additional 34 packages, most of them selected automatically after I selected Bumblebee-dkms.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
        Interesting that your getting the 396 driver as my Bionic install does not have that beta driver available from the repos.

@Here, I installed Bionic, activated the nVidia 390 (long term support) driver and it works flawlessly.
        He's added the graphics-drivers ppa, which has this one. I have it because Rise of the Tomb Raider requires it. It sort of works with 390, but not nearly as well.

Of course for me it installed flawlessly. I may be touched. Everything seems to Just Work for me these days.
        Last edited by claydoh; May 06, 2018, 09:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post

I have just removed the graphics-drivers/ppa and purged all nvidia* from my system as well as all other nvidia related packages including those listed in Muon. So nothing related to Nvidia was left in my system.

I then installed Nvidia-390.48 using the Bionic repositories and it is now working, ie I get:

Click image for larger version

Name:	NVIDIA_390.png
Views:	1
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	643849

So it now looks like the graphics-drivers/ppa is the culprit. I just hope that the problems with the graphics-drivers/ppa can be fixed. I will wait a fair while before I check this again.

Thanks very much to you all for being so helpful with this problem and also to oshunluvr for providing the solution.

I will patiently wait for the other little annoyances that I have raised to be fixed.

Comment

And the total number of nvidia- packages is six? (Which is my count in Neon)
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Just a suggestion but in the future don't buy hardware from vendors who are known to be hostle toward your operating system.

That being said i have a similar hardware setup in a laptop but using AMD card . It just a pita sometimes because of how its wired. Somethings that just work on the same AMD card in a similar machine cause me isuses with that dGPU setup. For me using DRI_PRIME seams to help tell the machine to use a specific card for the application.
              Last edited by sithlord48; May 07, 2018, 08:53 AM.
              Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
              (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Originally posted by sithlord48 View Post
                Just a suggestion but in the future don't buy hardware from vendors who are known to be hostle toward your operating system.

That being said i have a similar hardware setup in a laptop but using AMD card . It just a pita sometimes because of how its wired. Somethings that just work on the same AMD card in a similar machine cause me isuses with that dGPU setup. For me using DRI_PRIME seams to help tell the machine to use a specific card for the application.
                I sometimes encounter people that have a hostile attitude to the Linux operating system but I have found others who are not hostile.

Just recently I was on an Australian website looking at a HP with and AMD video card. The HP Laptop in question is at : http://h20386.www2.hp.com/AustraliaS...&sel=NTB#specs. While at the site, a chat message came up, so I decided to start a chat. I was interested in this Laptop because it had the AMD video card and I know that AMD support Linux more than Nvidia. I told them that I was interested in that Laptop because it had a 350GB SSD. I also added that I planned to remove the SSD and get a larger one and install Linux on it and keep the original one for their guarantee. I ended up being passed between about three different chat contacts who wanted more details and in the end they offered it to me with a $800 discount. That discount is more than what I am seeing some Laptops being sold for at the moment.

So this is a case of people that are not hostile to Linux but I think they are interest to see, like me, how well it works on their Laptop. I haven't got this Laptop yet because it is so new that they do not have it in store yet.

Comment

Originally posted by NoWorries View Post
                  >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
                  Just recently I was on an Australian website looking at a HP with and AMD video card. The HP Laptop in question is at : http://h20386.www2.hp.com/AustraliaS...&sel=NTB#specs. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>
                  3,200 US Dollars?
                  If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

2400 usd. The price includes the tax.

A very similar model in the US is about 1800 here in GA, USA

I need to make sure I buy all my computery stuff before I move down there
                    Last edited by claydoh; May 07, 2018, 09:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post

$800 tax... that's insane crazy!
                      Last edited by SpecialEd; May 07, 2018, 09:32 PM.
                      If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

Yup, their own version of course. Worth about 75 cents US at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post

The order conformation from HP after the AU$ 799.75 discount was AU$2,399.25. Remember that it has a small SSD which is why it is a lower price. BTW, all purchases in Australia include Tax, so no tax needs to be added.
                          Last edited by NoWorries; May 07, 2018, 10:28 PM.

Comment

Great discount, to be sure. The same model and specs in the US is about the same price as you have, with sales tax factored in, and converted to aud They must be marking them up to be able to give you a big discount, lol!

Comment

"Not Impressed with Bionic"

Agreed, I seem to be having lot's of little issues that have taken up lot's of time to understand. Sure KDE is probably not good for someone like me, though I have been using Linux for about Four years now. I haven't even gotten around to trying to learn Discover, but have heard nothing but bad about it. Without knowing anything the whole layout of it seems a little strange. I like the layout and Updater in Linux Mint, even in the KDE Version of 17 Series.
                              Dell OptiPlex 9010 SFF, 8GB RAM, i7 3770, Kubuntu 18.04, MB 051FJ8

Comment

Working...
                              X