This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] amarok not launching after upgrade to bionic

I upgraded my artful machine to bionic last night and now amarok no longer launches :-( I see the following messages when I run it from the command line:
    Code:
    $ amarok
    QDBusConnection: session D-Bus connection created before QCoreApplication. Application may misbehave.
    QDBusConnection: session D-Bus connection created before QCoreApplication. Application may misbehave.
    amarok(17046)/kdecore (KConfigSkeleton) KCoreConfigSkeleton::writeConfig:
    QInotifyFileSystemWatcherEngine::addPaths: inotify_add_watch failed: No such file or directory
    QFileSystemWatcher: failed to add paths: /home/<username>/.config/ibus/bus
    Bus::open: Can not get ibus-daemon's address. 
    IBusInputContext::createInputContext: no connection to ibus-daemon 
    unnamed app(17045): Communication problem with  "amarok" , it probably crashed. 
    Error message was:  "org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply" : " "Message recipient disconnected from message bus without replying" " 

amarok(17046)/kdecore (KConfigSkeleton) KCoreConfigSkeleton::writeConfig:
    KCrash: Application 'amarok' crashing...
    KCrash: Attempting to start /usr/lib/kde4/libexec/drkonqi from kdeinit
    KCrash: Connect sock_file=/home/<username>/.kde/socket-cistron/kdeinit4__0
    amarok: Fatal IO error: client killed
    vamsi@cistron:~$ pa_write() failed while trying to wake up the mainloop: Bad file descriptor
    pa_write() failed while trying to wake up the mainloop: Bad file descriptor
    Assertion 'pa_close(fds[0]) == 0' failed at pulsecore/core-util.c:2644, function pa_close_pipe(). Aborting.
    Unable to start Dr. Konqi
    Not forwarding the crash to Apport.
    Does anyone know what is going on?

You can try
    amarok --debug
    to get more info.
    Or, use apt-cache rdepends to see if you are missing any amarok dependencies.
    Or, purge amarok and then reinstall it.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I had this amarok installation for years. I would hate to lose the ratings, play counts, custom playlists and such. I have tried running amarok with --debug flag but could not make much of the output. It's in the attached file.
      Attached Files

Comment

Amarok has not been ported to qt5 yet.
        If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

Try from a Konsole:
          dbus-run-session amarok
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

The version of Amarok in Bionic is v2.9.0 and like SpecialEd stated it is still utilizes KDELibs 4 and Qt 4. I would do what GreyGeek suggested about checking the dependencies. Your upgrade to Bionic could have cleared out some of those dependencies because it thought they were defunct. Unfortunately I am at work right now and not in front of a kubuntu box to do further investigation.

Also, I could be wrong here, but I would assume most of what you are worried about losing is saved in your profile config for Amaork and not Amarok the package, so re-installing it should not effect those things.
            Nowadays I'm mostly Mac, but...
            tron: KDE neon User | MacPro5,1 | 3.2GHz Xeon | 48GB RAM | 250GB, 1TB, & 500GB Samsung SSDs | Nvidia GTX 980 Ti

Comment

I backed up my amarok folder from ~/.kde/share/apps/ folder and removed amarok using the --purge flag. Then I installed it again but the problem still remains. As far as dependencies are concerned, I tried apt-cache rdepends as greygeek suggested and did not find anything that needed to be installed.

Finally, I tried dbus-run-session amarok but that too returned the same error about QFileSystemWatcher: failed to add paths: /home/vamsi/.config/ibus/bus and crashed without launching amarok.

Comment

I don't have an ibus folder in my ~/.config/ ... only a ~/.dbus folder. How long have you been upgrading that system? If you run apt-cache show amarok what version does it say you have? This is what my system returns:
                Code:
                [FONT=monospace][COLOR=#54FF54][B]fletch@II[/B][/COLOR]:[COLOR=#5454FF][B]~[/B][/COLOR]$ apt-cache show amarok
                Package: amarok
                Architecture: amd64
                Version: 2:2.9.0-0ubuntu2
                Priority: optional
                Section: universe/kde
                Origin: Ubuntu
                Maintainer: Kubuntu Developers <kubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com>
                Original-Maintainer: Debian KDE Extras Team <pkg-kde-extras@lists.alioth.debian.org>
                Bugs: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+filebug
                Installed-Size: 40040
                Depends: amarok-common (= 2:2.9.0-0ubuntu2), amarok-utils (= 2:2.9.0-0ubuntu2), libqtscript4-core, libqtscript4-gui, 
                libqtscript4-network, libqtscript4-sql, libqtscript4-uitools, libqtscript4-xml, kde-runtime (>> 4:4.10), libaio1 (>= 
                0.3.93), libavcodec57 (>= 7:3.4.2) | libavcodec-extra57 (>= 7:3.4.2), libavformat57 (>= 7:3.4.2), libavutil55 (>= 7:3
                .4.2), libc6 (>= 2.14), libgcc1 (>= 1:4.0), libgdk-pixbuf2.0-0 (>= 2.22.0), libgl1, libglib2.0-0 (>= 2.12.0), libgpod
                4 (>= 0.7.92), libkcmutils4 (>= 4:4.7), libkdecore5 (>= 4:4.7), libkdeui5 (>= 4:4.9.98), libkdewebkit5 (>= 4:4.7), li
                bkdnssd4 (>= 4:4.7), libkfile4 (>= 4:4.7), libkio5 (>= 4:4.7), libknewstuff3-4 (>= 4:4.7), libktexteditor4 (>= 4:4.7)
                , liblastfm1 (>= 1.0.0), liblz4-1 (>= 0.0~r130), libmtp9 (>= 1.1.0), libmygpo-qt1 (>= 1.0.2), libmysqlclient20 (>= 5.
                7.11), libnuma1 (>= 2.0.11), libofa0 (>= 0.9.3), libphonon4 (>= 4:4.7.0.0), libplasma3 (>= 4:4.7), libqca2 (>= 2.0.2)
                , libqjson0 (>= 0.7.1), libqt4-dbus (>= 4:4.6.1), libqt4-network (>= 4:4.5.3), libqt4-opengl (>= 4:4.5.3), libqt4-scr
                ipt (>= 4:4.5.3), libqt4-scripttools (>= 4:4.5.3), libqt4-sql (>= 4:4.5.3), libqt4-svg (>= 4:4.5.3), libqt4-xml (>= 4
                :4.5.3), libqtcore4 (>= 4:4.8.0), libqtgui4 (>= 4:4.8.0), libqtwebkit4, libsolid4 (>= 4:4.7.0), libstdc++6 (>= 5.2), 
                libtag-extras1 (>= 1.0.1), libtag1v5 (>= 1.9.1-2.2~), libthreadweaver4 (>= 4:4.7), libx11-6, phonon, zlib1g (>= 1:1.2
                .0)
                Recommends: kdemultimedia-kio-plugins (>= 4:4.2.0), media-player-info
                Suggests: amarok-doc (>= 2:2.9.0-0ubuntu2), libqt4-sql-mysql, libqt4-sql-psql, libqt4-sql-sqlite, moodbar
                Filename: pool/universe/a/amarok/amarok_2.9.0-0ubuntu2_amd64.deb
                Size: 9057704
                MD5sum: 8367a9fd80fbb980edb086a551d962cf
                SHA1: 960ef2317c5a50da4a0b721078c915cffecceebf
                SHA256: bd64a0b11a2f141c5ed769a6055f0eb0123c944f3897ab3a79385aacfaa62d4e
                Homepage: http://amarok.kde.org
                Description-en: easy to use media player based on the KDE Platform
                Amarok is a powerful music player with an intuitive interface. It makes
                playing the music you love and discovering new music easier than ever before
                and it looks good doing it! Amarok is based on the powerful Qt4 / KDE4
                Platform and nicely integrates with KDE desktop.
                Much work has been invested into integrating Amarok 2 with various Web
                services:
                  - Ampache                                                                                                          
                  - Jamendo Service                                                                                                  
                  - Last.fm                                                                                                          
                  - Librivox                                                                                                         
                  - MP3tunes                                                                                                         
                  - Magnatune                                                                                                        
                  - OPML Podcast Directory                                                                                           
                .                                                                                                                    
                Amarok comes with a lot of features including but not limited to:                                                    
                  - Scripts - enhance your Amarok experience with community developed scripts.                                       
                  - Dynamic Playlists - create playlists that automatically update.                                                  
                  - Context View - customize interface with the Plasma powered Context View.                                         
                  - PopUp Dropper - simplify drag&drop actions with revolutionary menu system.                                       
                  - Multiple Language Translations                                                                                   
                  - Collection Management - organizing your music collection has never been                                          
                    easier with Amarok's powerful tagging, renaming, and sorting abilities.                                          
                  - Database Importing - import collections from Amarok 1.4 or iTunes.                                               
                  - Scriptable Services - integrate other web services into Amarok.
                Description-md5: 8cb0abbd7a36a44af04429c5df99b014
                Supported: 3y

[/FONT]
                tron: KDE neon User | MacPro5,1 | 3.2GHz Xeon | 48GB RAM | 250GB, 1TB, & 500GB Samsung SSDs | Nvidia GTX 980 Ti

Comment

I have the same version as you. I reinstalled it this morning.
                  Are you able to launch amarok on your machine? If you are running Kubuntu bionic then it may not be a Qt5 issue...

Comment

Yes, Amarok launches and runs quite well for me on Bionic, so it is definitely not a Qt5 issue. Installing it will bring in quite a bit of old dependencies from KDE 4, but I knew that going in. Only differences we have at the moment is I did a fresh install of Bionic and completely started over with my profile (I was coming from xubuntu 16.04 and was worried something in my old /home would effect my overall experience with Bionic). Granted, it takes a bit to get everything set back up, but I saved everything that was important to me (mainly my files and my steam saved games).

I am currently doing some research on this issue, I will let you know what I find.

[EDIT]
                    #1 My system does not currently have iBus installed, does yours? Also, is it currently running? Someone had an issue with this with a different app and found it was no longer installed.
                    #2 Create a test user (K menu -> System Settings -> Personalization -> Account Details -> User Manager -> New User) and login as that account. I would be interested to know if Amarok opens for that account or not.
                    Last edited by benny_fletch; May 03, 2018, 10:34 PM.

Comment

Installing it will bring in quite a bit of old dependencies from KDE 4,
                      dunno just sayin' smoke
                      sigpic
                      Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

I got around to installing ibus -- did not help
                        I created a new test user and amarok launches fine for this user.
                        So, I went back to my session and removed the amarok folder from ~/.kde/share/apps/ location and removed amarok by running sudo apt remove --purge amarok ; sudo apt autoremove followed by re-installation of amarok. Even then, I am unable to launch amarok :-(

Comment

ibus is not needed, the warning is just that - a warning that it is missing for those who might need asian language input support, and can be ignored.

Comment

run this
                            Code:
                            find ~/ -user root
                            dose it show much , and what

VINNY
                            i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                            16GB RAM
                            Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
                              run this
                              Code:
                              find ~/ -user root
                              dose it show much , and what

VINNY
                              I see some output but none of it is related to amarok.

Comment

Working...
                              X