This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing Steam

I'm in the process of migrating my Linux system from Kubuntu 14.04LTS (amd64) to 18.04LTS (amd64). I have a fresh install of 18.04 on a new hard drive, and I'm trying to set up Steam. I've installed the Steam Installer from the Kubuntu Software Center and run that. It seemed to go smoothly, but then I got a message saying that a laundry list of 32-bit libraries are not installed. I hit return to clear the message, then Steam went online to download any updates from their servers. When it finished, I get a message saying "Fatal Error: Failed to load steamui.so".

The list of 32-bit libraries the first message gave were:
    libXtst.so.6
    libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0
    libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.so.0
    libva.so.1
    libbz2.so.1.0
    libvdpau.so.1
    libva.so.1
    libva.x11.so.1

Is there a way to somehow get this to work, or do I need to install the 32-bit version of Kubuntu? Should I instead download the Steam installer program directly from Steam and not use the Kubuntu maintained package?

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks kindly!

I just re-installed 18.04 fresh yesterday and Steam installs and runs perfectly for me, although I did it by downloading the installer from Steam's website (once downloaded I clicked on the installer in dolphin, entered my credentials, and followed the steps... it does launch a konsole window that you need to interactive with to complete the install).
    Last edited by benny_fletch; Apr 29, 2018, 09:15 PM. Reason: more details
    Nowadays I'm mostly Mac, but...
    tron: KDE neon User | MacPro5,1 | 3.2GHz Xeon | 48GB RAM | 250GB, 1TB, & 500GB Samsung SSDs | Nvidia GTX 980 Ti

Comment

Originally posted by benny_fletch View Post
      I just re-installed 18.04 fresh yesterday and Steam installs and runs perfectly for me, although I did it by downloading the installer from Steam's website (once downloaded I clicked on the installer in dolphin, entered my credentials, and followed the steps... it does launch a konsole window that you need to interactive with to complete the install).
      Yup, and just about every time you fire it up it will update itself first. But, it always runs great for me. Primary use: Universe Sandbox^2
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

You could try the flatpak version instead https://flathub.org/apps/details/com...software.Steam

Code:
        sudo apt install plasma-discover-flatpak-backend
        will make it so you can just click the install button from the browser to get it done.

Comment

After a bit of trial and error, I figured out what the issue was. Since the Kubuntu package was a no-go, I tried installing Steam using the .deb directly from Steam. That gave me an error. I finally figured out that, during the backing up my old system to the new one, I had also copied over my original .steam folder (I thought I had left that folder unchecked during the process, but there it was). After I deleted that folder, Steam installed and ran like a champ. At least I can get some of those stats and scores back again.

Thanks for the help again, people!

Comment

Nice!

I am glad you got this figured out. I hope you enjoy Bionic as much as I have! If only Star Trek Online worked as well in Linux I could dump Windows.
            Nowadays I'm mostly Mac, but...
            tron: KDE neon User | MacPro5,1 | 3.2GHz Xeon | 48GB RAM | 250GB, 1TB, & 500GB Samsung SSDs | Nvidia GTX 980 Ti

Comment

Working...
            X