Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New kernel 4.13.0.39 update causing issues?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New kernel 4.13.0.39 update causing issues?

I have been running Kubuntu for 8 months now, pretty much have it mastered. Just got this kernel update, and reboot to mayhem, and and I have to hard power it off. If I choose advanced in the boot menu and select the .38 kernel, everything is good. So I did a clean install to another partition, which I do anyways, and let it update to the new kernel. Had to hard power it off, but it did reboot normally, but has no grub boot menu, it just boots straight up. Have to stay with the .38 kernel because this .39 one is weird! Anyone else have issues?

None here on 3 different systems.

Comment

Any systems as old as X79?

Comment

One is a q77, an HP Elite small form factor from 2012

Comment

Strange! Well, with the older install, as long as I use .38 it works fine. I'll try to reinstall a second copy with hopefully a full grub menu. I expect weird crap with linux... I have 3 installs, and only way to access them is using boot-repair-disk on a flash drive boot.
          Of course, I like using btrfs, which I'm sure complicates things...

Comment

On 17.10 I started having lock ups out of the blue. They started on 4.13.0.38, but once they started occurred on 4.13.0.37 and 4.13.0.39. See the thread I started:

https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...2-hard-lock-up

Usually the box froze sometime during the Kubuntu boot, and if not then just after signing on; but then might run for a couple of days with no trouble.

A bug was raised on launchpad at the end of 2016, active till early 2017, for a similar issue, but someone added to it the day after I started having trouble, and reported that 4.15 was good. So I installed Bionic a few weeks early, and the trouble is gone. Just the chore of reinstalling and setting up and so on, which I'm still doing.

I'm not sure my problem is the same as yours, but I think it's very likely you're in for a reinstall.
            Regards, John Little

Comment

Eventually I found that the kernel update corrupted my video driver. I did manage to install a fresh install on a 2nd drive, I updated it fully first, then installed nvidia driver, and it runs normally on the newest kernel.
              The older install I'll probably try to boot it in console mode and reinstall the video driver. Stuff happens!

Comment

Working...
              X