Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kubuntu install disc not launching auto install on one machine, Ubuntu works on both

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu install disc not launching auto install on one machine, Ubuntu works on both

Hi. Longtime Gentoo user (since about 2003) moving to something Ubuntu-based. The problem here seems similar to the thread Spectrum started mid-2017 but I don't see a real answer there so here's a new bright & shiny thread to play with.

Yesterday I burned DVD's of both the Ubuntu-16.04.4 and Kubuntu-16.04.4 iso files. I have two machines - a large desktop machine (I7 980 Extreme, 24GB, 3 monitor, NVidia 960, and an Asus laptop. Both Ubuntu and Kubuntu discs boot and run Linux correctly on both machines. On the laptop both DVDs launch the auto-install software and being that we have been KDE users I installed Kubuntu and my wife is very happy.

On my large machine however the Kubuntu disc doesn't start the auto-install. The Ubuntu DVD did offer to install so I installed that for now but would prefer to go with Kubuntu is possible.

Two questions:

1) Does anyone know how to launch the auto-install part of Kubuntu from a terminal?

2) I tried an apt install kubuntu-desktop but got error messages at the end and the reboot wasn't successful. Does anyone know if that really works?

Thanks in advance,
    Mark

IME on some machines, all laptops, the Kubuntu live media needs a key to be pressed at the right time for it to start. Space or Enter I think. Press the wrong key and then the right key doesn't work, and a reboot is the only option.

If I see a small sort of icon at the middle at the bottom of the screen, that's an indication that such a key press is needed; but one laptop doesn't show anything.

Regards, John Little
    Regards, John Little

Comment

Thanks John. I've seen that low-res graphic but only when booting on my wife's laptop. It never came up on this desktop machine.

Actually, stupid me, the efficient Kubuntu packagers placed an option to start the Kubuntu install by hand in the DVD KDE Applications->System group with a title along the lines of "Install this on your hardware" or something to that effect. That said I'm now responding to this thread from my Kubuntu machine with NVidia and Chrome are installed. Off to work on installing CUDA toolkit, keras, tensorflow and Matlab. With any luck I'll be mostly locked in by the end of the day. (Assuming I can bring up and mount a couple of RAIDs I had in this machine when I ran Gentoo.)

Anyway, all done. Hopefully the thread will help someone in the future.

Mark

Comment

Working...
      X