Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to Boot Laptop to Install DVD After Install?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to Boot Laptop to Install DVD After Install?

Hello,

I have a fairly new HP laptop (HP 15 Notebook PC that came with Windoze 10 pre-installed). I installed Kubuntu 16.06.4 LTS a few months ago (entire disk). My wife now wants to use the laptop, but I've forgotten the PW I used. I know, bonehead move on my part. Anyway, I loaded the install DVD I used and attempted to boot to it so I could set up another user, but the laptop will not boot to the internal optical drive.

I got into the BIOS > System Configuration >Boot Order, and found the boot order is:

Internal CD/DVD ROM drive
    >OS boot Manager
    USB Diskette on key/USB Hard Disk
    USB CD/DVD ROM Drive
    ! Network Adapter

Except for the triangle in front of the 2nd item above, it looks like the optical drive should boot first (if there's bootable media in it of course), but it does not.

I tried with Legacy Support Disabled and Enabled... no joy!

I have secure boot Disabled and never tried to Enable it because I don't know what that does.

The DVD has to be bootable since that's how I installed Kubuntu in the first place.

Please advise.
    "If you're in a room with another person who sees the world exactly as you do, one of you is redundant." Dr. Steven Covey, The 7-Habits of Highly Effective People

Your laptop is newer than, say, 2011? and so has UEFI firmware.

It sounds like you know what you are doing regarding UEFI versus Legacy BIOS installation: That you did install 64-bit Kubuntu in UEFI mode? When you installed Kubuntu, Legacy/CSM/Secure boot were all disabled, right?

I can only suggest that you select ">OS boot Manager" and see what you can see there.
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by mhumm2 View Post
      I got into the BIOS > System Configuration >Boot Order, and found the boot order is:

Internal CD/DVD ROM drive
      >OS boot Manager
      USB Diskette on key/USB Hard Disk
      USB CD/DVD ROM Drive
      ! Network Adapter

Except for the triangle in front of the 2nd item above, it looks like the optical drive should boot first (if there's bootable media in it of course), but it does not.
      The 'triangle' in front of OS boot Manager suggest to me that that is the item in the list that is being given priority. Do you have options to move the triangle up/down?
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Qqmike; No sir, I took no precautions at all concerning the UEFI BIOS. AFAIK secure boot - disabled, UEFI - enabled, Legacy - disabled when I installed. How should I perform an install considering the UEFI BIOS?
        "If you're in a room with another person who sees the world exactly as you do, one of you is redundant." Dr. Steven Covey, The 7-Habits of Highly Effective People

Comment

Snowhog; No sir, there is no way to move the triangle. I even selected it and pressed enter, but no joy - nothing happened. That entry only boots the HDD of the laptop.

Comment

SECTION 2: Install your Kubuntu properly in UEFI mode

https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...l=1#post373198

Dealing with UEFI can be easy ... IF--a big "if"--your UEFI firmware is helpful and well-written.
            An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Qqmike; HOLY BAT CRAP !!! If all the new computers are being manufactured with UEFI, why haven't the new versions of *ubuntu been written to account for this and use it? Windoze doesn't seem to have a problem. And if memory serves, wasn't UEFI developed in cooperation (colusion) with M$?

If everyone has to go through all those wickets and learn all of that "advanced computer theory" then we're about to lose 95% of the population who would be willing to at least try linux, let alone use it as their everyday OS. Please tell me I'm missing something. Hell, I don't even have time to go through all of that.

My laptop works for some reason, I just have to create a new user with a PW I remember. I didn't do anything special to the laptop before I installed from DVD. I now have a live and persistent flash drive booted.

Please give me some good news.

Comment

Gosh, this is pretty easy:

How to access your firmware setup, boot menus: Most modern computers after about 2011 have UEFI firmware. Check your PC manual to find out how to access your computer's UEFI setup menus (by pressing a special key at the POST (Power-On-Self-Test) screen). Explore the UEFI setup menus, find where the boot menu is. If there is a setting to choose the boot mode (UEFI or BIOS), choose UEFI; also, you do not want CSM (disable it or set to "Auto"); disable Fast Boot; either disable Secure Boot or set it to "Other operating system" (not Windows--unless you have Windows and want to enable it).
                Boot menus: You may have a main (permanent (until you change it)) boot menu and a second boot menu, often called the "boot override" menu, that allows you to select an OS (or other UEFI application) to boot for this one time. The UEFI firmware acts as a boot manager.

How to run the Kubuntu installer: You want to boot your Kubuntu install medium in UEFI mode (not in legacy BIOS/CSM mode). You must have the 64-bit version of Kubuntu (not 32-bit). Then, put your Kubuntu install medium in the PC (the CD/DVD drive, or USB port). Re-boot. At the proper POST time press the correct key to enter your computer's UEFI setup menus. From a boot menu (like the boot override menu), select the entry corresponding to the UEFI mode of your install medium. In that boot menu, you may see more than one entry for your install device, like two or three entries for your DVD, or multiple entries for your USB flash drive. Select an entry that has UEFI or EFI in its description. And proceed as you normally do, installing Kubuntu.
                As for Windows, holy cow, UEFI is much more complicated with it, getting everything (GPT, MBR) just right, depending on the version of Windows you are using. And Windows complicated everything with their Secure Boot requirements. Linux is mostly simple. Windows made it a living hell & mess. Of course, if using Linux, you can simply turn off Secure Boot.

Comment

Okay, I'm breathing again. I set my BIOS as follows:
                  Secure Boot - DIsable
                  Legacy Mode - Enable

I changed the boot order to include the USB flash drive. Pressed F10 to save the settings and continue booting. The laptop is booting the flash drive and 16.04.4 LTS is launching. Thank you.

Is there anything else I need to know before actually installing Kubuntu.

Those settings are a LOT easier than the link you posted. I see now that that link is to install Kubuntu in EFI secure mode using all the "features" of UEFI and/or multi-OS boot installs. BTW, what exactly are the features or benefits of UEFI and secure boot?

Comment

The install images run in either uefi mode or bios, with no special work needed. I never have had to do anything special in this regard.
                    As to setting the boot order, sometimes you have to use the keyboard (arrow keys, usually) to move the selection up or down. If you can tell us the specific model you have we might be able to find more specific instructions for you.

Also, I think hitting f9 (could be a different key though) at boot will bring up a boot menu where you can select the cdrom for a one-time boot.

Comment

Thank you claydoh. I am apparently installing in BIOS mode, but I did notice that the 16.04 installing did put ETS in the first partition; interesting. I'll give a shout out if I run into problems. Thank you all so much.

Comment

Originally posted by mhumm2 View Post

Is there anything else I need to know before actually installing Kubuntu.

One important thing: select Btrfs as the filesystem when you install Kubuntu. It will make backing up and restoring as easy as falling off a log.
                        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

re Btrfs, I know it is a local fad among a few members here, but I think we should be careful recommending non-standard features to the Kubuntu-public-at-large. I already upset him with my link to a very simple paragraph about installing UEFI. If I put myself in his spot, I can't blame him, he just wants to get moving! ... all the blah-blah aside.

Btw, the boot menu output he posted in his first post did not look like a UEFI boot menu; but, that would depend on how hp implemented UEFI. Above, he concluded he installed in Legacy mode.

Comment

Btrfs is the default fs in OpenSUSE, and IMO (based on nearly 3 years of faultless experience with it), it is only a matter of time before it appears as the default choice in the drop down combo box containing the list of available file system for installation in Debian, Ubuntu, Kubuntu and Neon.

Who would drive a Ford when they could get a Lexus with better and more features for the same price as a Ford?

I see SO MANY problems on this forum that could be fixed in under 3 minutes, not hours or days of web exploring, system diagnostics, uninstalls, purges and re-installs, etc., which many times finally results in re-installing the OS to fix.

And, since creating those Btrfs recovery snapshots takes only seconds, it would be a foolish waste of time, if time is money, to wait for a traditional backup of an EXT4 system to finish. Usually 30 minutes or more. Sometimes hours. That’s why backups keep getting put off until it’s too late.

Oshunluver’s Dolphin right-click option allows one to make a backup snapshot with a couple clicks.
                            I do it manually in a Konsole in under 30 seconds.

Even ZFS is now available from the fs combo box, the best choice if you are setting up a headless server.

If avoiding Btrfs because it is newer than EXT4, (even though stable for three years) than why do we preach Plasma 5 over 4 or Gnome?
                            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
                            X