Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I add .jpeg, I cannot upload because forum.net writes it is a .png file and when I add .png forum.net writes that I cannot upload a .png.jpeg file.
    I will show the partition through a link to a blog.

Comment

Here my partition:
      https://regledefrancais.wordpress.com/

Comment

sda5 is a Windows partition.
        You should assign '/' to sda8, as you suggest, and select Btrfs as the file system, and check the format box. The bootloader will remain on sda, as it apparently already is.
        Last edited by GreyGeek; Apr 20, 2018, 05:29 PM.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Thank you very very much GreyGeek for your help.
          Please what do you mean with "... and check the format box"?
          I'm afraid I can only install Kubuntu 16.04 as I already did it and it should or could crash again.
          Let's try once more...

Comment

When you choose a filesystem to install onto a partition there is a box in the line listing the partition that has the world "Format" next to it. It means that you want the system to format the partition with the chosen file system. Since that is what you are doing that is what you want the installation app to do. You will select the sda8 partition and give it the name "/", the file system "btrfs", and check the format box.

Sometimes people use an existing partition that already contains files and such and don't want the partition formatted, which would erase those files and data. They select the partition, select the file system is already on the partition, and do NOT check the format box. But, that is too advanced for you at the present time.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Thank you GreyGeek for your help.
              The part is already btrfs and I cannot check the format box. It is not possible. I cannot check any box of any part (sda1, sda2, sda3, ...) of the partition.
              For the better, I ask to formate this part again in btrfs. Then the box was checked. Curiously, it is the only part of the partition which has "/" as mount point.
              Furthermore, when I click on "install", the screen prevents me that sda8 will be new formated as well as sda7 which is the swap. I hope that is not dangerous...
              Last edited by nicrnicr; Apr 21, 2018, 11:40 AM.

Comment

Your graphic above shows that sda8 is not formatted, and that sda6 is formatted as / and that sda7 has a swap

Can you boot up using sda6 ?

IF you formatted sda8 with Btrfs did you, at the same time, set it as / as well?

Comment

Of course, I set sda8 with "/". Yes I could boot sda6 which is Kubuntu 14.04.

There is a very serious problem by the installation: It was not possible to install GRUB on /dev/sda

It was not possible to do "grub install /dev/sda"

Now, I can only klick on OK. I suppose I will have to repair the grub again.
                  Last edited by nicrnicr; Apr 21, 2018, 01:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nicrnicr View Post
                    Of course, I set sda8 with "/". Yes I could boot sda6 which is Kubuntu 14.04.

There is a very serious problem by the installation: It was not possible to install GRUB on /dev/sda

It was not possible to do "grub install /dev/sda"

Now, I can only klick on OK. I suppose I will have to repair the grub again.
                    What do you get when you do the following:
                    sudo file -s /dev/sda
                    and
                    sudo file -s /dev/sda1

Here's what I get:
                    :~$ sudo file -s /dev/sda
                    [sudo] password for jerry:
                    /dev/sda: DOS/MBR boot sector

:~$ sudo file -s /dev/sda1
                    /dev/sda1: BTRFS Filesystem label "sda1", sectorsize 4096, nodesize 16384, leafsize 16384, UUID=12980ae8-4117-4cc5-bbb8-8065e82af93d, 129375535104/1492311203840 bytes used, 2 devices

Comment

Thank you GreyGeek for your support.
                      I get:
                      Code:
                      $ sudo file -s /dev/sda
                      [sudo] password for alfr:
                      /dev/sda: x86 boot sector
                      and
                      Code:
                      $ sudo file -s /dev/sda1
                      /dev/sda1: x86 boot sector
                      Last edited by nicrnicr; Apr 22, 2018, 01:03 PM.

Comment

Mmm.... run the "file -s /dev/sdX(n)" (with the appropriate values for X and n) against all of your partitions and lets look for an MBR or other sign of a boot record.

Comment

Thank you GreyGeek.
                          This time, The computer can boot. I don't need any Boot Repair software.
                          (You wrote me that the last part sda5 is Windows in #33. Does that mean that I have two Windows i.e. in sda3 and in sda5?)

What you asked me to write gives:
                          Code:
                          $ file -s /dev/sda1
                          /dev/sda1/: no read permission
                          $file -s /dev/sda2
                          /dev/sda2/: no read permission
                          $file -s /dev/sda3
                          /dev/sda3/: no read permission
                          $file -s /dev/sda4
                          /dev/sda4/: no read permission
                          $file -s /dev/sda5
                          /dev/sda5/: no read permission
                          $file -s /dev/sda6
                          /dev/sda6/: no read permission
                          $file -s /dev/sda7
                          /dev/sda7/: no read permission
                          $file -s /dev/sda8
                          /dev/sda8/: no read permission

Comment

"no read permission" means that you are not the owner of those devices. That command must be preceeded by sudo:
                            sudo file -s /dev/sda
                            sudo file -s /dev/sda1
                            ...etc...

Older computer hardware running Windows allows for only FOUR primary partitions. When created, running just Windows, they become a phantom drive without a letter, and the C:, D: and E: drives . If you want more than four partitions you must convert the last primary partition into a logical partition which can be subdivided into sub partitions.

Dell & Windows utilizes several partitions when it is installed by the computer makers.
                            /dev/sda1 is the DellUtility primary partition. It contains Dell software

/dev/sda2 is the Windows RECOVERY primary partition, which also has a boot flag set. It is used when you enter the recovery mode from the Windows boot screen.

/dev/sda3 is the NTFS Windows OS primary partition. That's where the Windows OS is installed and runs from.

/dev/sda4 is the large primary partition (lbsa) into which subsequent partitions must be installed. It is divided into the partitions listed below it.

/dev/sda5 is another logical partition formatted with NTFS and probably used as D:

/dev/sda6 is another logical partition formatted with EXT4 and labeled as "/" or root. It is where one Linux distro is installed.

/dev/sda7 is another logical partition formatted as a swap partition. It would be used by the Linux distro if it is turned on with "sudo swapon".

/dev/sda8 is an unformatted 149 GB partition. It is available to install any distro on it.

neicht belegt is a raw, unused 303GB section of your HD, and like sda8, is unformatted (unbekannt). You can install yet another distro on it, or break it into two partitions and install two more distros on it.

You have plenty of room to do a lot of things, but your big problem is: where is your boot sector?
                            If it is not /dev/sda2, which is marked with a boot flag, then where is it. Hence my request to file -s all your partitions.

Comment

Thank you very much GreyGeek for your explanations!
                              I get
                              Code:
                              alfred@alfred-desktop:~$ sudo file -s /dev/sda1
                              [sudo] password for alfred: 
                              /dev/sda1: x86 boot sector
                              alfred@alfred-desktop:~$ sudo file -s /dev/sda2
                              /dev/sda2: x86 boot sector
                              alfred@alfred-desktop:~$ sudo file -s /dev/sda3
                              /dev/sda3: x86 boot sector
                              alfred@alfred-desktop:~$ sudo file -s /dev/sda4
                              /dev/sda4: x86 boot sector
                              alfred@alfred-desktop:~$ sudo file -s /dev/sda5
                              /dev/sda5: x86 boot sector
                              alfred@alfred-desktop:~$ sudo file -s /dev/sda6
                              /dev/sda6: Linux rev 1.0 ext4 filesystem data, UUID=84b62f09-e544-44b6-959b-ade9d18ba970 (needs journal recovery) (extents) (large files) (huge files)
                              alfred@alfred-desktop:~$ sudo file -s /dev/sda7
                              /dev/sda7: Linux/i386 swap file (new style), version 1 (4K pages), size 2024181 pages, no label, UUID=5c783e48-20cf-4b79-bad4-b6485fc3697f
                              alfred@alfred-desktop:~$ sudo file -s /dev/sda8
                              /dev/sda8: BTRFS Filesystem sectorsize 4096, nodesize 16384, leafsize 16384, UUID=947ecb6d-df4d-4207-99c0-9033efe4f499, 5058174976/159999066112 bytes used, 1 devices
                              alfred@alfred-desktop:~$

Comment

It looks like you’ve formatted /dev/sda8 and put Btrfs on it since you made that graphic of the Partition screen.

Did you complete the Kubuntu installation on sda8 ? If so, you have three OS’s you can boot into BUT I did not see any indication that you’ve installed a boot record (MBR or GPT). Where did you tell the installer to save the boot record?

Download a boot Recovery iso and burn it to a USB stick. Run it and use it to recover and/or create a boot record and a healthy grub.

By the way, it appears that you’ll need to run fsck on your EXT4 partition.

Comment

Working...
                                X