X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

unetbootin bin and Command LIne Execution

Hello,

I have typed: ./unetbootin-linux64-657.bin at the command line, but, unetbootin will not run.

Advice please

Ps. I tried using sudo
    kubuntu version: 16.04.5 LTS

Laptop: Toshiba-Satellite-L350

Did you download it from the 'Net? Is there a reason you didn't install it from the repositories: sudo apt-get install unetbootin
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
      Did you download it from the 'Net? Is there a reason you didn't install it from the repositories: sudo apt-get install unetbootin
      Hello,

I did download it from the Net. I was reading a page and it recommended unetbootin as a programme to make live USB's.

Should the programme work using ./, and should I use sudo?

Will unetbootin reformat the pendrive, or can I leave information that is stored on the drive?

Good wishes

Ps. I downloaded it from github.io
      Last edited by anonprivate; Apr 11, 2018, 07:38 AM.

Comment

I'd recommend this https://etcher.io/ Comes in an easy to use appimage.

Comment

Originally posted by Bings View Post
          I have downloaded the zip file.

Will this application wipe the pendrive, or ignore the stored files?

I assume that it installs to the hard-drive (or do I place the files in a folder) and creates bootable pendrives. I hope that it does not need to be installed to the pendrive.

They advertise the programme as safe. I wonder what they mean?

Regards

Ps. Have you found any online information regarding this application?

Comment

Yes, it will wipe the pendrive.

1: Extract the file anywhere you like on your hard drive. It doesn't matter.
            2: In Dolphin: Right click the file, click properties. Check the file is set to executable in the permissions tab.
            3: Open the file = open the program.

That works for any appimage file.

Comment

IMO, AppImages is the way to go. Add them by downloading either the AppImage file or the zip of the AppImage file. Unzip the zip file and copy the AppImage revealed to any location you want. I have over a dozen AppImage applications installed and I put them in a subdirectory of Download called AppImages. Usually the AppImage is already marked executable but check to make sure. If not, use Dolphin to set it to executable. Create a Menu option pointing to it. When you upgrade to a newer AppImage release just copy the new one over the old. When you want to remove it from your system merely delete it (and the menu option IF you installed one). Nothing could be easier.
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                ... zip file ... Usually the AppImage is already marked executable...
                I was puzzled by the use of the zip file, because its size is close to the unzipped executable, why bother? Then I noticed that it unzipped with the execute bit set; maybe that's why.

Regards, John Little
                Regards, John Little

Comment

I second Etcher works great. I've had problems with unetbootin before. But if you want to use it I would recommend that you install it from the repositories not the net. That way all dependencies will be checked and working. Etcher comes as an appimage and will work very well. good luck.
                  Dave Kubuntu 20.04 Registered Linux User #462608

Wireless Script: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...5#post12350385

Comment

I have extracted the programme to a folder. It is executable, but when I click on the icon nothing happens.

Comment

Originally posted by kc1di View Post
                      I second Etcher works great. I've had problems with unetbootin before. But if you want to use it I would recommend that you install it from the repositories not the net. That way all dependencies will be checked and working. Etcher comes as an appimage and will work very well. good luck.
                      Etcher is not in the repository for kubuntu 14.04. Perhaps I lack the dependencies that you mention which would account for the fact that it will not run

Comment

Originally posted by anonprivate View Post
                        I have extracted the programme to a folder. It is executable, but when I click on the icon nothing happens.
                        You can open it in terminal by going to the folder and

Code:
                        ./FILENAME.AppImage
                        May give you some error messages if something is wrong.

Comment

You can open it in terminal by going to the folder and

Code:
                          ./FILENAME.AppImage
                          May give you some error messages if something is wrong.
                          I see:

andrew@andrew-Dell-DM061:~/Etcher$ ./etcher-1.3.1-x86_64.AppImage
                          bash: ./etcher-1.3.1-x86_64.AppImage: cannot execute binary file: Exec format error
                          andrew@andrew-Dell-DM061:~/Etcher$

Ps. I obtained the programme for etcher.io
                          Last edited by anonprivate; Apr 12, 2018, 09:08 AM.

Comment

I use the AppImage from that source and it runs fine when I double click on it (my preferred setting). Did your download give a good checksum?
                            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I would suspect a bad download also. retry.

Also when you extract it make sure it has the proper permissions to run as an executable.
                              Dave Kubuntu 20.04 Registered Linux User #462608

Wireless Script: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...5#post12350385

Comment

Working...
                              X