This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I change the ip?

What's so friendly, if it's impossible to decipher how to change the ip?

I clicked right mouse button on the network icon, I changed parameters but it doesn't save it.

I went to the preferences of the blessed kde, I go to network parameters and it does not appear enabled the ok button to save.

It is the year 2018 and still linux is still getting more complicated.

Unless you yourself are the ISP (Internet Service Provider) providing Interenet access, you can't change your IP.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

It may be case of having an incorrect IP address in the system, in which case you'll want/need to change it.

This article discusses this under Linux. DO NOTE at the bottom some links to how to make that change more permanent for various distros.

https://danielmiessler.com/study/set_ip/

Snowhog is correct as far as obtaining your actual EXTERNAL IP address from your ISP.

You may still need to input that new IP address into your system, see the linked article.

I recommend doing an online search, using Startpage.com or DuckDuckGo.com for the phrase:

"How to change IP address under Linux"

Specifying "Linux" in the search will sort out most of the non-linux instructions...
      Kubuntu 23.11 64bit under Kernel 6.8.7, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

Changing the contents of /etc/resolv.conf will break your Internet connection software because that process has been taken over by NetworkManager, which is controlled by systemd. If you look at the current contents of resolv.conf it will contian a message
        Code:
        [B]$ cat /etc/resolv.conf [/B]
        # Dynamic resolv.conf(5) file for glibc resolver(3) generated by resolvconf(8)
        #     DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE BY HAND -- YOUR CHANGES WILL BE OVERWRITTEN
        nameserver 127.0.0.1
        "resolvconf" is a binary executable residing in /sbin which generates this file..

The IP address on the Internet side of your WiFi is set by your ISP through their cable modem.
        Your wifi (or router) uses DHCP to dynamically set your IP address on YOUR side of your WiFi (or router). It usually begins at 192.168.1.100 (or something similar. Mine is 192.168.11.100), but the 100 part can be set within the Wifi using its management software. In my case, 192.168.11.1 is called the 'gateway' because it is used to access the router firmware and software. Use your browser and open YOUR gateway IP by entering it into the URL input textbox and you will be presented with a login dialog. Your documentation will tell you what the name and password are, but often it is "admin" and "password" until you change it, which you MUST, or you can get hacked!

In your WiFi admin software you can set which number your DHCP begins dispensing IP addresses. I set mine to begin at 100 and end at 110. I give a static IP address to my printer of 192.168.11.99 so that it won't be stepped on by a PC logging in, or won't step on a PC already logged on.

How to set a static IP using your router admin software? The router HTML code has a section called "Mac Addresses", in my Buffalo 600n router it is under "Services", in which you enter the MAC address of your PC (or printer if you connected it to your WiFi). In the adjacent box put domain name and in the box after it put the IP address you want to use. IT MUST BEGIN with 192.168.11 (or what ever gateway your WiFi router uses - some use IP addresses beginning with 10.0.0.X). Both 192.168.*.* and 10.*.*.* are private address ranges. Devices with those addresses can never communicate DIRECTLY with the Internet without network address translation (NAT) that routers provide. The router changes your 192.168.11.XXX address into the IP address your ISP assigned to you. In fact, every computer connected to the WiFI is given the same outbound IP address assigned by the ISP. When more than one computer is connected to the WiFI the WiFi firmware/software keeps track of which IP packets go to which computer.
        In the final box put the number of minutes to lease the address. I use 1440. (Whole 24 hour day). Save it. Then apply it, and restart the network.

OR, you can edit /etc/network/interfaces to reflect something like this:
        Code:
          # This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
        # and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).

# The loopback network interface
        auto lo
        iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
        auto eth0
        iface eth0 inet static
             address [B]192.168.11.X[/B]
             netmask 255.255.255.0
             network 192.168.0.0
             broadcast 192.168.0.255
             gateway [B]192.168.11.X[/B]
             dns-nameservers [B]192.168.11.X[/B]
        Then do a:
        sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart

I used /etc/network/interfaces to set up my Hurricane IPv6 tunnel
        Code:
        cat /etc/network/interfaces
        # interfaces(5) file used by ifup(8) and ifdown(8)
        auto lo
        iface lo inet loopback
        auto he-ipv6
        iface he-ipv6 inet6 v4tunnel
                     address 2001:470:7b:56f::2
                     netmask 64
                     endpoint (IP removed for security)
                     local 192.168.11.100
                     ttl 255
                     gateway 2001:470:7b:56f::1
        #        dns-nameservers 2001:4860:4860::8888 2001:4860:4860::8844
                     dns-nameservers 2606:4700:4700::1111, 2606:4700:4007::1001
        Last edited by GreyGeek; Apr 09, 2018, 02:33 PM.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

The OPs issue is that they can't save any changes made to the IP address of their network device. Changes are not saved when accessing the settings via the Network manager systray icon, and when accessing the connections area in System Settings, the OK button is greyed out.

So the user either has a bug, or more likely a permissions problems, maybe.
          To the OP : have you run any GUI programs, including System Settings, using the 'sudo' command?
          Have you disconnected from your network connection, and then reconnected?
          I am assuming an Ethernet or wifi connection to a router here. How are you connecting to the internet?

There is no OK button in System Settings' connections section,
          Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20180409_173410.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	643826

but there is in the applet popup
          Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20180409_173509.png
Views:	1
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	643827

Comment

Originally posted by sergioszy View Post
            What's so friendly, if it's impossible to decipher how to change the ip?

I clicked right mouse button on the network icon, I changed parameters but it doesn't save it.

I went to the preferences of the blessed kde, I go to network parameters and it does not appear enabled the ok button to save.

It is the year 2018 and still linux is still getting more complicated.
            may be a little more info on what you are actually trying to do would be helpful in be able to help you. Why do you need to change the IP address? DHCP not working?
            Dave Kubuntu 20.04 Registered Linux User #462608

Wireless Script: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...5#post12350385

Comment

Working...
            X