This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

nomodeset causing issues with desktop

Ever since I installed my Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 some years ago I've had an issue with a 23 second delay on boot followed by this error line:

Code:
    NMI watchdog: BUG: soft lockup - CPU#1 stuck for 23s! [nvidia-smi:712]
    I was able to make that go away by adding "nomodeset" to the kernel boot parameters. Fantastic: system now boots 23 seconds faster.

But now there's a new problem: after I have booted into Windows 8.1 on my dual boot system, the subsequent time I boot to linux there is a 90% chance that after logging in the desktop is reached but some or all of my monitors lack a desktop image (black screen), and i'm missing my KDE panels and so forth. The system is basically running, but in some kind of broken desktop state, and I need to reboot it to make it usable. After it comes back up, it boots normally, all desktop images and panels are fine, etc.

I.e. something in the video driver and the interaction with windows is causing the desktop to fail to appear when "nomodeset" is in use, but I really want to use "nomodeset" so I don't have to wait a pointless 23 seconds on every boot.

Anything I can try? Thanks!

I can't help much with the bug, but with the black screen(s), try hitting alt-f2 to see if Krunner comes up. If it does, enter plasmashell.
    It seems plasmashell is either crashed or not starting up,but I have no idea why.

Comment

when you get the "black screen" try pressing "alt+F2" if you get the Krunner box type in "plasmashell" , or konsole and then run "plasmashell &" from the konsole if you get the desktop back then plasmashell is not starting .

when you run with the "nomodeset" option no drivers (nvidia) are loaded so the system will boot with fallback vesa display this may be why the black screen .

VINNY

EDIT:looks like I'm dule posting with @claydoh
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post

EDIT:looks like I'm dule posting with @claydoh
        dual or duel ?

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
          dual or duel ?
          yes ,well , we all know VINNY cant spell

VINNY
          16GB RAM

Comment

VINNY
            BUT, we also know that his Linux advice is excellent, so who cares if we read his posts phonetically!
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
              BUT, we also know that his Linux advice is excellent, so who cares if we read his posts phonetically!
              LOL well I appreciate the vote of confidence , especially coming from you Sr,

VINNY
              16GB RAM

Comment

VINNY
                I just wanted calcification, so i can pick a weapon if necessary

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                  I just wanted calcification, so i can pick a weapon if necessary
                  I have many if necessary and am proficient with a few .

but I consider you a friend so it's "dual" instead of a "duel" ,,,,ya I had to google that

VINNY
                  16GB RAM

Comment

Calcification; a sign of old age

Call Roto Rooter(r) and get those veins cleared...
                    Kubuntu 23.11 64bit under Kernel 6.8.1, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

Originally posted by TWPonKubuntu View Post
                      Calcification; a sign of old age

Call Roto Rooter(r) and get those veins cleared...
                      I must need a Rooter treatment too, because I looked at that and saw "clarification".
                      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Never pass up a chance to make a joke...
                        Last edited by TWPonKubuntu; Apr 10, 2018, 04:24 PM. Reason: syntax was poor...
                        Kubuntu 23.11 64bit under Kernel 6.8.1, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

Actually, the use of "dule" may be preferred because it allows the reader to interpret the phase to their liking. For example, when I read about booting a linux distro with another linux distro, "dual" is correct. However, if one attempts to boot a linux distro with Windows, "duel" is the most correctly descriptive adjective.

Please Read Me

Comment

A politician in the making!

Comment

Working...
                            X