This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] K3B - Can't burn ISO image

Trying to burn an ISO image to CD but K3B continually states "cdrecord has no permission to open device". I can say before moving to 18.04 it worked fine under 17.10. I made no changes on my end so leads me to believe something is up with K3B or some other portion of 18.10?

Error Log:
    Code:
    [FONT=Hack]evices[/FONT]
    [FONT=Hack]-----------------------[/FONT]
    [FONT=Hack]PIONEER BD-RW   BDR-209M 8.11 (/dev/sr0, CD-R, CD-RW, CD-ROM, DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD-R DL, BD-ROM, BD-R, BD-RE, DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD+R DL) [DVD-ROM, DVD-R Sequential, DVD-R Dual Layer Sequential, DVD-R Dual Layer Jump, DVD-RAM, DVD-RW Restricted Overwrite, DVD-RW Sequential, DVD+RW, DVD+R, DVD+R Dual Layer, CD-ROM, CD-R, CD-RW, BD-ROM, BD-R Sequential (SRM), BD-R Random (RRM), BD-RE] [SAO, TAO, RAW, SAO/R96P, SAO/R96R, RAW/R16, RAW/R96P, RAW/R96R, Restricted Overwrite, Layer Jump, Random Recording, Sequential Recording, Sequential Recording + POW] [%7][/FONT]
    [FONT=Hack]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Hack]System[/FONT]
    [FONT=Hack]K3b Version: 17.12.3[/FONT]
    [FONT=Hack]KDE Version: 5.44.0[/FONT]
    [FONT=Hack]Qt Version:  5.9.4[/FONT]
    [FONT=Hack]Kernel:      4.15.0-13-generic[/FONT]
    [FONT=Hack]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Hack]Used versions[/FONT]
    [FONT=Hack]cdrecord: 1.1.11[/FONT]
    [FONT=Hack]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Hack]cdrecord[/FONT]
    [FONT=Hack]/usr/bin/wodim: Operation not permitted. Warning: Cannot raise RLIMIT_MEMLOCK limits.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Hack]/usr/bin/wodim: Resource temporarily unavailable. Cannot get mmap for 12587008 Bytes on /dev/zero.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Hack]TOC Type: 1 = CD-ROM[/FONT]
    [FONT=Hack]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Hack]cdrecord command:[/FONT]
    [FONT=Hack]/usr/bin/wodim -v gracetime=2 dev=/dev/sr0 speed=40 -sao driveropts=burnfree -data -tsize=141824s -[/FONT]
    [FONT=Hack]
    [/FONT]

check k3b>settings>settings>>programs and see that you have "growisofs" and "mkisofs"/given by "genisoimage" and then check the "permissions"tab and see if it's all root,root

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Also, K3B application did update today.
      Maybe do an update in Start/System/Discover and try the newer version of K3B

Jesse

Comment

Originally posted by JeZ-l-Lee View Post
        Also, K3B application did update today.
        Maybe do an update in Start/System/Discover and try the newer version of K3B

Jesse
        or
        Code:
        sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get  dist-upgrade
        I don't trust discover

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Maybe both. I did check those settings earlier but was in a rush and didn't really pay attention to certain notes. I did this time on the permissions tab and it stated that the Permissions Helper was not enabled during build and it does want to update that automatically so that actually may be it. Can't test until later though. I'll also update. I know it is in Beta and expect this. Just needed to find out if it is something needing reported or not.

Thanks!

Comment

I tried the permissions and the making sure all was up to date. Still have that issue. I'll wait until final release to see if it is corrected.

Comment

I haven't used K3b in years, since I started using USB sticks.
              About a year ago I had a need to burn a CD so I installed K3b. It gave me this error when I tried to run it:
              Unable to find cdrecord executable
              K3b uses cdrecord to actually write CDs.
              Solution: Install the cdrtools package which contains cdrecord.
              I opened Muon and when I searched for cdrtools that package was missing from the repository.

After reading this thread I wondered if K3b's problem was resolved?
              I installed K3b from the repository and all seemed well. No errors were given
              I stuck a CD into my external USB CDROM drive and fired up K3b. It gave me the same error msg as before.

Another search of the repository with Muon revealed that it still was not in the repository.
              I searched the Internet for a downloadable version of cdrtools and discovered this
              $ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:brandonsnider/cdrtools

$ sudo apt-get update

$ sudo apt-get install cdrtools
              I added that PPA, updated, and then tried to install.
              :~$ sudo apt install cdrtools
              Reading package lists... Done
              Building dependency tree
              Reading state information... Done
              E: Unable to locate package cdrtools
              I opened Muon, selected the "By Origin" tab, clicked on "CDRTools" and noticed four files in the right panel.
              I install all four, one being "cdrecord" but none being "cdrtools", and then retried to burn a CD using K3b. K3b worked perfectly!

I found this info about cdrtools, which I never knew about, and until a year ago, never had any problems burning CDs with K3b.
              http://cdrtools.sourceforge.net/private/linux-dist.html
              Last edited by GreyGeek; Apr 09, 2018, 02:35 PM.
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Based on that then, it could be that for me too. Though I don't get the error you do, mine would suggest that cdrecord requires cdrtools. I'll have to look into that and report back when I can.

Thanks!!

Comment

Does your cdrecord have this set of permissions
                  :~$ vdir /usr/bin/cdrecord
                  -rwsr-xr-x 1 root root 496688 Jul 22 2017 /usr/bin/cdrecord
                  "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                  – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
                  X