This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ctrl shift key not working

In this last days (after an update, I suppose) ctrl+shift+key does no more work. Today I tried with a new user installation (in effect as other use that key are working): at first, it worked, but then it was enough. And I do not understand later what stopped working. So 2 hours ... for nothing
    Any idea?
    Last edited by jduns; Apr 11, 2018, 11:52 PM.

The person that happened to a couple days ago discovered that their keyboard was set at Generic 101 and not Generic 104. Perhaps your keyboard setting is wrong?
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

No. The strange is that now I have this problem with the new user (with the old name), while with the old user (with new name) the problem is fixed.
      So, the problem is not in the "home". But where? In "/tmp" maybe. I don't have changed the permissions in /tmp, when I changed the user-name: indeed I 1) first created a new user (neoduns), 2) after, from another installation, I changed the name (duns -> neoduns, and neoduns -> duns) in /home, but not in /tmp. Maybe that is the origin of the actual problem.
      Now what should I do?
      Last edited by jduns; Apr 05, 2018, 09:15 PM.

Comment

You've confused me... Who's on first?
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Thank you, GreyGeek! My english is no perfect, sorry.
          In this last day I notice this strange behavior: as a main user do not work combinations of ctrl + shift (shift) + other key. For example, if I press ctrl + shift + left (left arrow key) I do not select the word to the left of the cursor, and so on. Only with autokey it works (for example, pressing ctrl + shift + m writes "mente", as it should)
          As another user everything works perfectly.

Then I tried to 1) create a new user (neoduns), 2) link all the main settings (which I keep in a separate partition), 3) then going on another installation I renamed / home/duns in home/neoduns, changing all permissions, and I renamed /home/neoduns in /home/ duns, also changing all permissions there.

What did not I do? I have not changed the permissions on files and folders in / tmp in the root.

What happened? At first things worked well in the new "duns", but then enough, the problem was repeated. With the joke that instead in the old user, renamed "neoduns" the problem has been solved.

Interpretation
          The problem is not, it seems, in the home, but either in /tmp or in some other system folder in which the user duns has the wrong settings. The problem seems the user "duns", i.e. me

Comment

Solved: incredible, but the problem was Clementine settings, shared from another partition.

Comment

ctrl shift key not working

Originally posted by jduns View Post
              Solved: incredible, but the problem was Clementine settings, shared from another partition. [emoji3]
              Did you have a soft link or did you copy the config file?

Comment

Soft link. In Clementine shared folder there were 3 folders "spotify" and some other words, and many libraries and an executable: maybe a virus?
                Last edited by jduns; Apr 12, 2018, 12:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                  Did you have a soft link or did you copy the config file?
                  the operative words are" "clemintine settings", the new KDE is not the old Compiz fusion.

woodsmoike
                  sigpic
                  Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

And, a virus in Kubuntu is rare. In 10 years I’ve never seen one. In fact, in 20 years of using Linux I’ve never seen a viral infection, except when I was specifically testing Windows viruses under WINE.
                    Last edited by Snowhog; Apr 15, 2018, 08:03 AM. Reason: 'never' added between "I've" and "seen"

Comment

of course

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                        And, a virus in Kubuntu is rare. In 10 years I’ve never seen one. In fact, in 20 years of using Linux I’ve never seen a viral infection, except when I was specifically testing Windows viruses under WINE.
                        LOL!
                        Amazing how words get left out while typing one’s thoughts. You continue to put the missing words in without realizing they aren’t there. Thanks Snowhog. Now, if I could just get you to read my mind ....
                        (Ya, scary thought!)

Comment

Working...
                        X