X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't open an executable.

Hi Folks,

I'm trying to install X-Plane 11 and am not getting very far.

I have downloaded the installer but I can't execute the file.

It's marked as application/executable but it seems to think something else needs to epen it.

I tried the console and it states it can't find the command althought I can see it with ls.

Help.

Two likely issues here:
    1. Does the file have the execute permission?
    GUI way to check/change: Right-click on file>Properties>Permissions-tab>Executable
    Terminal way to check: "ls -l filename", the letters in the first field list permissions, r for readable, w for writable and x for executable, in groups of three for user, group and others, respectively
    Terminal way to add executable permission: "chmod +x filename"

2. If you try to run a file in a terminal in a directory that is not in your $PATH variable, you need to provide a path. If the file is in your current working directory, you can use:
    "./filename" to run it ("." is a shorthand for the current working directory...and the command means "run 'filename' that is in this directory")

More info on permissions in linux, if you are interested:
    https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...and_attributes
    https://www.linux.com/learn/understa...le-permissions
    Last edited by kubicle; Apr 05, 2018, 03:38 AM.

Comment

Thanks for your suggestions kubicle.

I think I may have solved my problem, don't know yet.

It seems when I installed Kubuntu I installed the 32 bit version. I was trying to install XPlane 11 64 bit. Oops.

I found it confusing that the amd download is the 64 bit and the i386 is the 32 bit version.
      I was thinking in the terms of the processor manufacturer: AMD/Intel.

Downloading the amd version and installing soon after.
      Hopefully all will be well.
      Last edited by OzMaz; Apr 05, 2018, 08:28 AM.

Comment

I'm back!

All going well, worked first go. Just have to read the fine print and it all goes.

Comment

That’s a great flight sim, almost as good as flying the real thing and a lot less expensive!
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by OzMaz View Post
            I found it confusing that the amd download is the 64 bit and the i386 is the 32 bit version.
            I was thinking in the terms of the processor manufacturer: AMD/Intel.
            Has tripped many. AMD invented the architecture (while Intel was trying to regain monopolistic control with a new, incompatible design) and it was given its name then.
            Regards, John Little

Comment

Having used FlightGear for a while I downloaded the x-plane-11 demo and fired it up. One word - WOW! Brought back memories of setting in the left seat of the SKyhawk 172.
              It says that the memory requirements are 8GB. I have only 6GB but, it ran perfectly for the things I tried.
              My NVidia GT-650M handled it nicely.
              $60 is a good price.
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

GG - If you have the horsepower and want to have a little aviation fun, install War Thunder! Really fun and playable - WW II air combat, tank combat, and they just added submarine. It's free but there is an option to pay to get quicker upgrades to better aircraft.

The flight model is simple so not a "realism" simulator, but still a real hoot to play. The "Arcade" (simple model) sessions last about 20 minutes so you don't have to kill an entire day to play it. There is also a "Realistic mode" which is harder the operate and kill. There's usually about 10-15K players on at any given time, but the game session are limited to 16 players on each team. They also have a "Practice" arena where you play alone.

FULL DISCLOSURE, if you use the above link and d/l and install it and create an account, I will get some in-game tokens
                Last edited by oshunluvr; Apr 13, 2018, 05:45 PM.

Please Read Me

Comment

Downloading now as I write this post!

EDIT:
                  Crashed the first time I ran it just after the tutorial started up.
                  Re-ran it and it ran through the tutorial just fine. My hardware is fast enough to run it. After the tutorial I was presented with a screen that said to press the "To Battle" button to begin combat. I couldn't see it or find it, and F1 didn't show any help. May have hung? Will continue playing!
                  Last edited by GreyGeek; Apr 13, 2018, 07:07 PM.

Comment

The "To Battle" button here is at the top of the screen when in the "hanger" (viewing your vehicles). Check your video size settings and make sure you're not off-screen at the top.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20180414_065407.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	643828

Please Read Me

Comment

The default screen size setting was listed as 1900X1280, IIRC. My screen is 1600X900. The bottom and sides of my screen are like yours but only the top is cut off. Weird.

The screen size appeared normal during the flight tutorial and shooting down the balloon and aircraft was easy, but flight mechanics was no more realistic than g117.

Comment

Working...
                      X