X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MrPlod View Post
    Great thanks for your help...
    It all makes sense, but it was a fresh install today from an iso that I downloaded from Ubuntu.com, ah well.

The upgrade has been saying 2hr 30mins for about 30mins...

It would be quicker to just download a fresh iso? What do you think?
    Doing so would be 'cleaner'. If you have anything in the /home partition you want saved, back those items up first to an external device. IF you do a clean installation, I would recommend that you have the installer format the /home partition as well; that ensures that nothing remains that might cause issues.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I have a separate /home partition. Could that be causing the issue/s? Because the upgrade has just completed, but changed nothing!

Comment

you have a seperate /home partition . Do a reinstall .. when asked durring seting up the disks, reformat your / and then pick the exsiting /home partiton for your home (dont format that)
        Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
        (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Originally posted by acheron View Post
          Instructions for upgrading end of life releases are here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EOLUpgrades
          That site won't help for those using KDE Neon, which isn't a "rolling update" for the 16.04 Ubuntu part but IS a rolling update for the KDE desktop part. From its FAQ:
          Is it a rolling distro?

Not quite, it's a package archive with the latest KDE software on top of a stable base. Unlike rolling distros only the KDE software will be updated continuously.
          Then there is this:
          How do I Update to the Latest Software?

KDE neon does continuous deployment of the latest KDE software which means there are nearly always new versions of our software to update to. We recommend using Plasma Discover's updater which appears in your panel:

If you prefer to use the command line you can use the pkcon command:

pkcon refresh
          pkcon update

This will install all new packages and uses the same PackageKit code as Plasma Discover. Some uses of apt do not install new packages which makes it less suitable for KDE neon.
          So, IF I read all this right, sometime in the future KDE Neon will switch from 16.04 LTS to a later LTS version. Meanwhile, 16.04 is good till 21.04, KDE is continually updated to the latest and greatest, and I'm good with that. All is well in the garden!
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

The update completed. But, changed nothing.
            So, I want to do a fresh install.
            I've downloaded a fresh 17.10 iso But, I can not find the 'Startup Disk Creator' on kubuntu.

Any ideas?

I downloaded 'Live-USB Install' but that failed to install with a 'Dependency Resolution failed' error

Comment

I was stuck for a while but fortunately I found a USB stick with Mint 16.04 on it. So, I installed that, burnt the Kubuntu 17.10 iso on to it and here I am now on Kubuntu 17.10
              I do hope that it was worth the effort!!!

I have to admit that I did have a copy of 17.04 in my download folder, so I assume that I probably put that on my stick by mistake. A lesson learned... get rid of old iso's.

Thanks to Snowhog, if you hadn't spotted it I would still be pulling out my hair. I've even labeled the drive 17.10

Comment

try to run it manually with the command
                Code:
                muon
                Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
                (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

When you can't find dedicated apps to burn an ISO you can use dd:
                  sudo dd if=path to ISO of=/dev/sdX
                  or, with a progress bar:
                  sudo dd if=<path to input file> | pv -s <size e.g. 1377M> | dd of=/dev/sdX
                  where X is the USB drive which you can determine by using
                  sudo fdisk -l

NEVER use /dev/sdX1 or some other partition. Usually it's /dev/sdb or /dev/sdc, assuming your HD is /dev/sda
                  "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                  – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
                  X