X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Backup Home Folder, and Usability of Older LiveDVD

Hello,

I would like to make a copy of my Home folder. With all the sub folders it is GB's in size. What is the best way to back this folder up? I have no external hard-drive, full pendrive's, and a few DVD-r's.

In addition, I only have a livedvd for version 12.04.4 LTS. In cases of emergency, and needing to re-install the OS, will this live dvd suffice, and then upgrade online to 14.04. Or, would it be best to download the live 14.04 LTS version?

Thanks
    kubuntu version: 16.04.5 LTS

Laptop: Toshiba-Satellite-L350

I don't know your particular budget constraints but external drives are relatively inexpensive these days and a robust backup system needs to have more than one backup. The 3-2-1 system is what I follow: Three copies of your file(s) including the original. Two different media and at least one copy "off-site."
    If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

I have another related question.

I was wondering if it is feasible to create a partition and transfer the Home folder and its subdirectories into this space.

It occurs to me that if I needed to re-install, then I could leave the Home partition unformatted and, hence, would not need to back up Home and its subdirectories.

Low risk is important to me.

Comment

Originally posted by anonprivate View Post
        I have another related question.

I was wondering if it is feasible to create a partition and transfer the Home folder and its subdirectories into this space.

It occurs to me that if I needed to re-install, then I could leave the Home partition unformatted and, hence, would not need to back up Home and its subdirectories.

Low risk is important to me.
        IF low risk is important then remember that when an HD fails ALL partitions on it are lost. For the lowest risk your storage should be a second HD, preferable two. One which you keep on site and a second which you store in another building. With 64, 128 and 256 GB USB's and SSD's, rsync'ing your home account to one of those devices should be a snap. Snowhog posted a link to an rsync tutorial in another recent post.

The ideal solution would be to save your data to an external storage device and then reinstall your system using Btrfs as the root filesystem. Then you could take snapshots of @home in seconds, when ever you wanted, and send the results to external drives with the Btrfs send & receive commands. Oshunluver has posted excellent tutorials in this forum about using Btrfs.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
          IF low risk is important then remember that when an HD fails ALL partitions on it are lost. For the lowest risk your storage should be a second HD, preferable two. One which you keep on site and a second which you store in another building. With 64, 128 and 256 GB USB's and SSD's, rsync'ing your home account to one of those devices should be a snap. Snowhog posted a link to an rsync tutorial in another recent post.

The ideal solution would be to save your data to an external storage device and then reinstall your system using Btrfs as the root filesystem. Then you could take snapshots of @home in seconds, when ever you wanted, and send the results to external drives with the Btrfs send & receive commands. Oshunluver has posted excellent tutorials in this forum about using Btrfs.
          Am I right in assuming that creating a separate partition and transferring the Home folder to this new partition would be risky

Comment

Working...
          X