This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

setting up a lan

I'm running kubuntu 17.10 on my desktop and kubuntu 16.10 on my wife's laptop and need to network these two computers. What do I need to do?

NFS would be the best way on 2 linux boxes .

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SettingUpNFSHowTo

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
      NFS would be the best way on 2 linux boxes .

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SettingUpNFSHowTo

VINNY
      Okay, fine, but will deploying nfs wipe both hard drives since this is a new file system? Also, I'll be adding a windoze box to the lan when it arrives tomorrow. I already have samba installed, but neither kubuntu box can see or use it right now. Is this because I don't have a windoze box on the network yet? Basically, I need a lot of hand holding here.
      Last edited by markslaw; Mar 30, 2018, 02:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by markslaw View Post
        Okay, fine, but will deploying nfs wipe both hard drives since this is a new file system? Also, I'll be adding a windoze box to the lan when it arrives tomorrow. I already have samba installed, but neither kubuntu box can see or use it right now. Is this because I don't have a windoze box on the network yet? Basically, I need a lot of hand holding here.
        Aaa well I cant "hold a hand" I'm not that good at it but if you have a windows box coming into the fold you will want to stick with SAMBA , some one will be along soon that can answer better than I on this than I .

VINNY
        16GB RAM

Comment

thanks

Comment

I think Kubuntu has the samba-clyent installed by default , I have no prob browsing my wifes windows box from my Kubuntu box from in Dolphin>network>samba shares , but for the linux box to send files it needs the samba server to be installed (I think) and I have no idea how to set that up . other than googling it

VINNY
            16GB RAM

Comment

You stated you need to "network" these computers without really explaining what you meant by "network". Most often, people mean file sharing, but there a dozens of other use-cases that could be lumped under the term "network". It's more efficient and more likely to result in useful information if you are more specific with your questions. However, from the above conversation, I will assume you meant "file sharing".

As stated by others, your two primary choices are NFS and SAMBA. Samba has the benefit of having built-in Windows compatibility. NFS is faster (IMO) and more robust (less likely to drop out) than SAMBA. There is an NFS client available for Windows, but I've never attempted to use it. If you're just going to occasionally access a file or two on one of the other computers, then SAMBA will probably be the easiest way to go. You can use both SAMBA and NFS if you wish, but that added layer would be overkill unless you're regularly moving files across the network.

Okay, fine, but will deploying nfs wipe both hard drives since this is a new file system?
              Both NFS and SAMBA are Network protocols not storage drive file systems. Neither requires "wiping" anything. Another common misconception is the idea that the underlying file system matters - it does not. The file system in use by the server is not exposed to the client. In other words, if the server uses NTFS and the client doesn't support NTFS - it won't matter one bit. They only both have to support NFS or SAMBA.

Generally, to share files both directions, both computers have to have both server and client installations. A "server" allows other computers to access it's files and a "client" can access the files on the server. In other words, a computer only configured as a "server" would not be able to access files on other computers. A computer only configured as a "client" would not share it's files with other computers. How you intend to share files will determine the amount and types of configuration required.

Here, I have an actual physical server with both NFS and SAMBA so all my user PCs are configured as clients and we share files through the server. The Windows machines use SAMBA and the Linux machines use NFS.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
              X