X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can do nothing on my primary formated ext4 externe HDD

Hi everybody,
    (Sorry if I opened topics that I interrupted. I've been a few month abroad).
    I've been formating an external HDD primary ext4. Now I cannot do anything on it: I cannot write on it and I cannot unmount it. Please, how could I succeed in writing something on it?

If this can help you:
    Code:
    auie@uwe:~$ cat /etc/fstab
    # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
    #
    # Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
    # device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
    # that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
    #
    # <file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options>   	<dump>  <pass>
    # / was on /dev/sda8 during installation
    UUID=37cdb496-76cd-45cf-9d77-da57a4af5248 /           	ext4	errors=remount-ro 0   	1
    # swap was on /dev/sda7 during installation
    UUID=5c783e48-20cf-4b79-bad4-b6485fc3697f none        	swap	sw          	0   	0
    192.168.0.101:/     	/s          	nfs 	auto,user
    auie@uwe:~$
    Code:
    auie@uwe:~$ sudo parted -l
    [sudo] Passwort für auie: 
    Modell: ATA WDC WD5000BPKT-7 (scsi)
    Festplatte  /dev/sda:  500GB
    Sektorgröße (logisch/physisch): 512B/4096B
    Partitionstabelle: msdos
    Disk-Flags: 

Nummer  Anfang  Ende	Größe   Typ   	Dateisystem 	Flags
    1  	32,3kB  41,1MB  41,1MB  primary   fat16       	diag
    2  	41,9MB  828MB   786MB   primary   ntfs        	boot
    3  	828MB   90,9GB  90,1GB  primary   ntfs
    4  	90,9GB  500GB   409GB   extended              	LBA
    8  	147GB   362GB   215GB   logical   ext4
    6  	362GB   437GB   75,4GB  logical   ext4
    7  	437GB   446GB   8291MB  logical   linux-swap(v1)
    5  	446GB   500GB   54,3GB  logical   ntfs

Modell: SD 128MB (sd/mmc)
    Festplatte  /dev/mmcblk0:  126MB
    Sektorgröße (logisch/physisch): 512B/512B
    Partitionstabelle: msdos
    Disk-Flags: 

Nummer  Anfang  Ende   Größe  Typ  	Dateisystem  Flags
    1  	50,7kB  126MB  126MB  primary  fat16    	boot                                                                                                                               	

Code:
    auie@uwe:~$ sudo blkid                                                                                                                                                                 	
    /dev/sda1: SEC_TYPE="msdos" LABEL="DellUtility" UUID="5450-4444" TYPE="vfat" PARTUUID="9a91e749-01"                                                                                    	
    /dev/sda2: LABEL="RECOVERY" UUID="D28EE6808EE65C8B" TYPE="ntfs" PARTUUID="9a91e749-02"                                                                                                 	
    /dev/sda3: LABEL="OS" UUID="EEA49BBBA49B84AD" TYPE="ntfs" PARTUUID="9a91e749-03"                                                                                                       	
    /dev/sda5: UUID="DA10AA6610AA48F9" TYPE="ntfs" PARTUUID="9a91e749-05"                                                                                                                  	
    /dev/sda6: UUID="84b62f09-e544-44b6-959b-ade9d18ba970" TYPE="ext4" PARTUUID="9a91e749-06"
    /dev/sda7: UUID="5c783e48-20cf-4b79-bad4-b6485fc3697f" TYPE="swap" PARTUUID="9a91e749-07"
    /dev/sda8: UUID="37cdb496-76cd-45cf-9d77-da57a4af5248" TYPE="ext4" PARTUUID="9a91e749-08"
    /dev/mmcblk0: PTUUID="8dc297e4" PTTYPE="dos"
    /dev/mmcblk0p1: SEC_TYPE="msdos" UUID="0000-0001" TYPE="vfat" PARTUUID="8dc297e4-01"
    Last edited by nicrnicr; Mar 29, 2018, 10:47 AM.

Based on the above post, there's no external USB device connected. Unplug the device, run "dmesg" in a terminal, plug it back in, and do "dmesg" again.

If it's detected, dmesg will tell you the device name(s) that are available - likely sdb1. Then attempt to mount it using the terminal and post the output.

If it's not detected, then you probably have a hardware problem.

Please Read Me

Comment

Thank you very very very much oshunluvr!
      I wrote dmeg with and without HDD in the terminal as you advised me. In both case the answer was way too long to copy it here.
      Thanks to your answer I could understand that I have this problem because the HDD is configured for root root and it appears that I am not allowed to do what I want with it, though I am the only user of my computer... Someone made me a folder with the right for anybody so that I can save what I want on it, but it is not the best solution. I should learn how to become root.
      Last edited by nicrnicr; Apr 03, 2018, 04:44 AM.

Comment

You can be root in two ways. The first way is to precede a command with sudo

For example:
        sudo apt update
        sudo apt full-upgrade
        sudo apt autoremove

You will be asked for your account password. You can continue to preface commands with sudo for about five minutes without being asked for your password. Then you will be asked again.

The second way is to issue
        sudo -i
        And when prompted enter your account password. At that point you become root, as indicated by the prompt itself. You can issue commands without prefacing them with “sudo” for as long as you have root business to do.

sudo -i
        apt update
        apt full-upgrade
        apt autoremove

When you are done giving administrative commands return to your own account by issuing
        exit

That will put you back in your own account as you. Issuing “exit” again will close the konsole.

DO NOT issue normal user commands as root. I.E, do not run user applications from your home account as root. To do that you might as well drop your pants and hang your fanny out the window! The results will be the same.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Thank you very much GreyGeek for these advices towards terminal.
          But I'm surprised that I am not allowed to take one file with the mouse to move it in the HDD. I don't know what to do.

Comment

If you have Krusader installed then run it as root:

kdesudo krusader

You should be able to create two panels side-by-side, pointing each panel to display the desired directory, and then use your mouse to drag and drop files owned by root from one location to the other. BUT, why do you want to drag root's files around? That swamp is where alligators live! For your home account you can use Dolphin in the same manner.

To install krusader:
            sudo apt update
            sudo apt install krusader
            Last edited by GreyGeek; Apr 03, 2018, 04:40 PM.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Thank you GreyGeek for your advice.
              I don't understand why I would have to use Krusader. I believe you that I can solve my problem with Krusader but this is not a normal way to do simple things such as drag and drop.
              A friend of mine made me a File in this hdd. I can drag and drop in this file. This is enough for me, though I have to click each time I use it one more time.

Comment

This thread is rather old. You can try
                kdesu dolphin
                To do your d&d’s
                Failing that you can use mc
                sudo-i mc

Comment

Thank you GreyGeek for your advices.
                  One wrote me to write
                  Code:
                  sudo chmod -R 755 /media/auie/my_hdd
                  and since then I no longer have any problem :-)

Comment

you could try adding yourself to the disk group.
                    Code:
                    sudo usermod -G disk -a <user>
                    log out log back in .
                    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
                    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Working...
                    X