This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fstab still in use?

Been using fstab for a long time to mount the secondary drives in several of my machines, and then symlink one of the directories in the mounted drive to /home.

Has fstab been deprecated? What replaces it?

Without fstab mounting, Dolphin sees the second drive and mounts it for use in Dolphin, but Libre Office does not see it unless I symlink the drive to /home. Problem is that when I do that without using fstab, the symlink gets broken each time I reboot.

Suggestions?

Frank.
    Linux: Powerful, open, elegant. Its all I use.

The filesystem mounts and automounts are now handled by systemd. But you can still use fstab to "force" mounts/options. Systemd will dynamically convert the lines in fstab into systemd mount units at boot time.

So while you don't often need to define mounts in fstab anymore, you can still use it in the cases you need to.

Comment

Kubicle:

So while you don't often need to define mounts in fstab anymore, you can still use it in the cases you need to.
      It looks like this is a time where I need to, unless there is a better way to do what I am trying to do. And, I am open to suggestions.

In the meantime, I have used fstab to mount the /data directory on sda (2 TB secondary drive in my laptop) to the filesystem on nvme0n1 (boot device), and then successfully added it to my /home directory. Things now work as they did before.

Thank you!

Frank.
      Linux: Powerful, open, elegant. Its all I use.

Comment

Working...
      X