X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SpeedStep not working, running hot and noisy

Hello

I have some trouble with laptop's fan constantly running. I just installed Kubuntu and it's working very well otherwise. I've had several distros installed on this one and am quite sure that something's different now. Temperature is not really problematic - the fan keeps the system at ~45 Celsius when idle. And it is mostly idling.

To me it seems the cores are running at the same frequency all the time. For example:
    $ watch -n 0 "lscpu | grep 'MHz'"

CPU MHz: 2494.319
    CPU max MHz: 3100,0000
    CPU min MHz: 800,0000

Those stay always the same. And:
    $ grep MHz /proc/cpuinfo
    cpu MHz : 2494.319

I'm pretty sure that cpuinfo tells the real frequency, since it does vary on my other computers and I'm quite sure it did on this one, too. Scaling settings are:
    $ cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq/scaling_governor
    powersave
    powersave
    powersave
    powersave

$ cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq/scaling_driver
    intel_pstate
    intel_pstate
    intel_pstate
    intel_pstate

But even though the CPU seems to be running at full speed, it also seems that the governor is really trying to run it slower, like this:
    $ cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq/scaling_cur_freq

I have not touched the BIOS settings for some time but I did make sure that Intel's SpeedStep is enabled. There aren't any performance settings in BIOS at all. I haven't installed anything exotic or tweaked much. I did install Intel microcode update using Muon, but that was just in effort to solve this problem. OS: Kubuntu 17.10, hardware: Lenovo L440 laptop, Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4200M CPU @ 2.50GHz, 4 GB, ~180 GB SSD.

Any ideas?

Added:
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="intel_pstate=disable"

-->
    $ grep MHz /proc/cpuinfo
    cpu MHz : 900.000
    cpu MHz : 800.000
    cpu MHz : 1800.000
    cpu MHz : 900.000

Ok for now...

Comment

their is a program for Intel i3,i5 and i7 CPU's to monitor wats going on in real time ,,,,it's "i7z"

VINNY
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Neat, VINNY! Thanks!
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
          Neat, VINNY! Thanks!
          your welcome ,,,I was trying for the past few days to report on this find , but the .gif I made to show it in action got me blocked from KFN 3 times when trying to upload it,,,,I kinda lost interest in trying further , my bad .

in KFN's defense the .gif was 20MB in size and Snowhog thinks that maybe the ZB block gave it a false positive as a virus .

I guess I'll go make that thread using the vid I made the .gif from instead through youtube

VINNY
          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
          16GB RAM
          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Working...
          X