X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem with USB device

Hi,
    I am using a 64 GB USB 3.0 device for videos that I want to play on my TV. After the last time I have added some videos I got a problem on my computer. The OS (Dolphin) does not mount the device any more. I always get the message attached. But when I use the device with my TV I can play almost all files. Only two files look like corrupted. But I cannot erase the files until Dolphin will mount the device again.
    What can I do to fix the problem?
    Kind regards,
    Sigurd
    Attached Files

did you try to follow the instructions? i.e. "run chkdsk /f on Window$ then reboot into Window$ twice".
    community is what will save us

Comment

Hi flamboyant,
      I don't know how to run "chkdsk /f" on the USB stick if it is not mounted? And what does Window$ mean? As long as the USB stick is not mounted it is not recognized even not by the Konsole.
      Please can you tell me the steps I have to go?
      Kind regards,
      Sigurd

Comment

the file system must be unmounted in order to be checked and fixed.

Window$ stands for Microsoft Windows. the dollar sign designates that the operating system was created to make money, unlike most Linux distributions.

do you have a Window$ computer at hand? or can your computer also boot into Window$?

Comment

Hi flamboyant,
          I am running Kubuntu 17.10 only and I am happy with it. I do not have a Windows computer at hand or boot into Windows. Is there any method in Kubuntu or any special software to fix this problem?
          Kind regards,
          Sigurd

Comment

i'm happy with it too ;-)

plug in your USB stick, press Alt+F2 and enter partitionmanager.

choose your device [likely to be /dev/sdd in your case] in the devices panel. right click on your partition [/dev/sdd1] in the partition panel, left click Check in the pop-up menu and Apply in the toolbar.

Comment

Hi flamboyant,
              Sorry, but "Check" in the pop-up menu is light gray and this way not available. I guess the reason is that the USB stick is not mounted. If I try to mount it I can see the message, "this device cannot be mounted".
              Kind regards,
              Sigurd

Comment

can i see a screenshot of the partition manager with the menu popped up?

Comment

Hi flamboyant,
                  I have formatted the USB stick. Even easy formatting did not work. I guess there was a major mistake. Curiously it still worked with my TV. I guess the NTFS file system was corrupted. Now I am using a FAT32 file system that my TV accept. And after downloading all the files from Internet (a lot of work) now everything works again. Thank you for your help.
                  Kind regards,
                  Sigurd

Comment

Great to hear! You probably want to mark this thread as "solved".
                    ​"Keep it between the ditches"
                    K*Digest Blog
                    K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

my pleasure, Sigurd. please mark the thread as solved.

Comment

Working...
                      X