Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Type ls -la ~/.mozilla/firefox instead. Copy/paste the output inside of CODE tags.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Take a look at
      https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...ores-user-data and https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/...tiple_profiles

I may have missed it, but what is your reason for not using Firefox from the repos? Things would be simpler.
      Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
        Type ls -la ~/.mozilla/firefox instead. Copy/paste the output inside of CODE tags.
        greg@greg-OptiPlex-990:~$ ls -la ~/.mozilla/firefox
        total 28
        drwx------ 6 greg greg 4096 Mar 4 07:06 .
        drwx------ 4 greg greg 4096 Feb 26 15:02 ..
        drwx------ 3 greg greg 4096 Mar 4 07:06 Crash Reports
        drwx------ 17 greg greg 4096 Mar 8 20:02 ibf0en2f.default
        drwx------ 2 greg greg 4096 Mar 4 07:06 Pending Pings
        -rw-rw-r-- 1 greg greg 104 Feb 28 13:30 profiles.ini
        drwx------ 17 greg greg 4096 Feb 28 13:29 r8uw1dh2.default
        greg@greg-OptiPlex-990:~$
        Greg
        W9WD

Comment

Originally posted by chimak111 View Post
          Take a look at
          https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...ores-user-data and https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/...tiple_profiles

I may have missed it, but what is your reason for not using Firefox from the repos? Things would be simpler.
          Didn't know how to do it
          Greg
          W9WD

Comment

To use code tags, type [CODE] before the content and [/CODE] immediately after the content.

Re. installing regular Firefox, just run
            Code:
            sudo apt-get update
            followed by
            Code:
            sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
            and then, if there are no errors, run
            Code:
            sudo apt-get install firefox
            Last edited by chimak111; Mar 09, 2018, 12:13 AM.
            Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
              If you have Muon package manager (not Discover), you can view different package versions available, and lock a particular one, all from the GUI. Right-click on the package, and you will see the option there
              I can confirm this works great, and unless one is doing this from the CLI for educational reasons (which is a VERY valid reason!) this would be the easiest way to control and manage this.
              ​"Keep it between the ditches"
              K*Digest Blog
              K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by dequire View Post
                I can confirm this works great, and unless one is doing this from the CLI for educational reasons (which is a VERY valid reason!) this would be the easiest way to control and manage this.
                But OP has installed Firefox in the home folder by extracting a compressed file downloaded directly from Mozilla: http://download.cdn.mozilla.net/pub/firefox/releases/. Apt/dpkg weren't involved at all in the installation. So this particular software isn't registered with the system.
                Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Originally posted by chimak111 View Post
                  But OP has installed Firefox in the home folder by extracting a compressed file downloaded directly from Mozilla: http://download.cdn.mozilla.net/pub/firefox/releases/. Apt/dpkg weren't involved at all in the installation. So this particular software isn't registered with the system.
                  Yepp - I missed that. Your advise from earlier would be best. I would remove the downloaded FF folders (but keep your profile for now until a future issue forces it's revisitation) and install properly either from Discover or as chamik111 stated a few posts ago.
                  ​"Keep it between the ditches"
                  K*Digest Blog
                  K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by GregM View Post
                    I tried to do what Bing suggested but maybe I screwed it up.
                    It's just that every time I tried to start what I hoped was FF55, 45 would start.
                    Probably those terminal inputs that you suggested told you what is where and what is installed and so on.
                    Wish I knew more about it.
                    Maybe you downloaded 45 by mistake?

Comment

I had 45 installed/runniing and then downloaded 53 and then 55.
                      I did your solution on 55 but when I clicked the icon on the panel it always started 45. So I went in to the icon and changed the location entrees to where 55 is.
                      It starts 55 fine now but as you can tell 45 is still lurking.
                      Since then I have totally deleted 53.
                      Maybe if I uninstalled 45 your solution would yield different results??
                      Greg
                      W9WD

Comment

Downloading from the site won't change your icons so that's perfectly normal. As you downloaded it from the site then you will always have to manually point things to that folder. So when you want other programs to open a link in a browser, you will need to point to the folder, not just type "firefox" as the latter points to the one that installed from the repository. Which I am presuming in your case is 45? Only uninstall if you've no further use for it. It's not required to do so.

As Chimak said, pinning is only relevant to things that are installed from the repository. If you've turned off updates in the Firefox settings, as I said then you should be fine.

Comment

The only thing I fear in uninstalling 45 is that it might pull all the FF icons and what not. I think that happened to me once before
                          Greg
                          W9WD

Comment

Why do you think you have Firefox 45 installed on your system?
                            Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Because I was running it and had troubles with videos with it.

https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...k-videos/page2
                              Last edited by GregM; Mar 09, 2018, 07:44 PM.
                              Greg
                              W9WD

Comment

I think someone needs to invent a GUI that will install programs for you from tar files, so I can tell it to install what I want.
                                That's my story and I'm sticking to it
                                Greg
                                W9WD

Comment

Working...
                                X