X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Latest LTS kubuntu and burning software

Hello,

I would like to download the latest kubuntu (LTS) and form a live DVD, for testing purposes.

I have k3b and Brasero on my machine. Bearing in mind that I have an older machine, and 4GB of RAM, would my burning be most likely to be successful with the former, or the latter.

I would also like to use the remaining space, so it would be convenient to leave the DVD unfinalised.

I will use DVD -r for the burning

Thanks
    kubuntu version: 16.04.5 LTS

Laptop: Toshiba-Satellite-L350

A DVD -R only allows a single burning. It cannot be held "open" for finalizing later. If you want that feature then you need to use a DVD +R or a DVD RW (read/write).

An 8GB (or larger) USB stick has become the medium of choice for Live distros.
    Last edited by Snowhog; Mar 07, 2018, 05:21 PM. Reason: Quoting entire OP on 1st reply unneccessary
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Thank you.

I assume that a live DVD will still work, although more slowly that a USB stick.

Previously, I thought that the only difference between a DVD -R and DVD +R was in the the direction of reading by the laser, rather than in the use of the disk
      Last edited by anonprivate; Mar 07, 2018, 05:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by anonprivate View Post

Previously, I thought that the only difference between a DVD -R and DVD +R was in the the direction of reading by the laser, rather than in the use of the disk
        an optical media always starts at the point close to the center and works it's way out , you can actually see this if you catch the light gust right and did not fill the disk ,,and no it dose not spin in 2 directions either
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I have a tiny pile of 2gb and 4gb usb sticks solely for installation media, you don't need more than 2 gb unless you want a persistence file, or you want to do a physical install to one.

Had, rather, as a few of them seem to have been used a few too many times, they are so old. Looks like most are USB3 8gb and up

Comment

I have a collection of 256Mb, 512Mb, 1Gb, 2Gb, 4Gb and my better ones 8Gb and up. My latest are 32Gb. The 64Gb are still too $$$ for my budget. In my garage I have about 200-300 CD's and DVD stored with Linux backups going as far back as 2002. Around 2010 or so I did a test read of them and was surprised to find that about 1/3rd of them would no longer read, even with all the "restore" techniques. Now, I assume that more than half are unreadable. A few weeks ago I went looking for a file I wrote in 2008 and found three CDs that had it (bkup of my /home/jerry account). Two of the three would not read, luckily one did.

I've noticed a similar pattern with my older USB sticks.
            And, two of the three USB passport $50 320Gb backup HD's I bought five years ago have failed.
            Because I want to use persistance I create my LiveUSB's on 16Gb sticks as a minumum. I carry one in my pants watch pocket at all times, KDE Neon, along with a "data" USB stick. I just made a Kali 2018.1 LiveUSB stick and may start carrying that one in my watch pocket as well.

About 8 months ago I noticed that I hadn't burned a CD or DVD in two or three years, so I purchased an HD Caddy that fits in my DVD port and put a 750Gb HD in that port, giving my Acer three HD's of 750 Gb each. Two are in a Btrfs RAID0 and one is just a Btrfs backup that I mount when I want to send a copy of @ and @home to it. I am not without a CD/DVD player, however. I purchased a $30 USB version from Amazon as a standin.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
              so I purchased an HD Caddy that fits in my DVD port and put a 750Gb HD in that port, giving my Acer three HD's of 750 Gb each. Two are in a Btrfs RAID0 and one is just a Btrfs backup that I mount when I want to send a copy of @ and @home to it. I am not without a CD/DVD player, however. I purchased a $30 USB version from Amazon as a standin.
              so sence you use yours let me ask you a Q about that , I have one of those that I got with my system76 bonox8 (the HD caddy that fits the DVD drive space) how is the read/rite speed as compared to an internally installed HD just what kind of port is that on and can you use a SSD in it ? "lshw" reports it (the DVD drive) is on "scsi:2"

VINNY
              i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
              16GB RAM
              Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Latest LTS kubuntu and burning software

There is no difference in performance between my two internal 750 Gb HD’s and the identical 750 Gb HD plugged into the caddy. They were identified by their UUID’s and as /dev/sda & sdb & sdc.
                When I switched from RAID1 with sda & sdb to RAID0, sdb and sdc switched labels and RAID0 became sda & sdc (but the actual physical drives remained the same. It taught me to always use UUID, not /dev/sdx designations)
                The caddy I used converted the CDROM Connection to an IDE connection, not an SCSI connection.

The caddy I bought is
                Amazon.com: ORICO Hard Drive SSD Caddy for Laptop 7mm and 9.5mm CD Optical Drives, SATA III Connectivity for Dell, HP, Macbook, ASUS, Acer, Benq: MP3 Players & Accessories
                Last edited by GreyGeek; Mar 07, 2018, 10:50 PM.

Comment

A very old (and I mean VERY old) article, but informative no less:

https://www.askdavetaylor.com/whats_...rw_and_dvdram/
                  Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                  "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
                    an optical media always starts at the point close to the center and works it's way out , you can actually see this if you catch the light gust right and did not fill the disk ,,and no it dose not spin in 2 directions either
                    I thought that the difference between a DVD -R and a DVD +R was that one read from the circumference to the centre, and the other from the centre to the circumference. The rotation would be in the same direction

Comment

GreyGeek

You might hold a record for the number of backups
                      Last edited by anonprivate; Mar 08, 2018, 06:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                        A very old (and I mean VERY old) article, but informative no less:

https://www.askdavetaylor.com/whats_...rw_and_dvdram/
                        I obtained information from th 'PC Help Centre'
                        'What is the difference between the DVD-R and DVD+R formats?'

'Answer: DVD-R (pronounced "DVD dash R") and DVD+R (pronounced "DVD plus R") are nearly identical formats. The discs look the same and are both supported by most DVD-ROM drives and DVD burners. The only difference between the formats is the way they determine the location of the laser beam on the disc. DVD-R discs use tiny marks along the grooves in the discs, called land prepits, to determine the laser position. DVD+R discs do not have land prepits, but instead measure the "wobble frequency" as the laser moves toward the outside of the disc.'

Comment

GreyGeek

You might hold a record for the number of backups
                          I’ve had been using CD’s for data backup and LiveDISTRO’s for a long time.

My first CDROM was on a Sony VAIO Desktop I bought on Dec 29, 1997. I adopted Linux on May 1, 1998 and began using CD’s to backup /home till the size of my /home data got larger than a 4.7Gb could hold. Spanning CD’s helped for awhile but keeping 4 or 5 of a set together was a pain, and if one failed the lot was useless. For reliability I switched to DVD+RW CD’s and reused them. That really worked good for burning LiveDVD’s.

But, as I wrote, I don’t use CD’s (have 150 unused setting around) nor DVD’s (perhaps a dozen left, with 10 unused DVD+RW). It’s all USB sticks and a portable external USB HD now.

My /home data is now over 100 Gb, so when 256 Gb USB sticks (or SSD’s) become commodities I’ll be formatting them as Btrfs subvolumes and using Btrfs send-receive to store my data on them. Until then I am leaning on my cheap 320Gb USB HD and USB sticks.

Comment

Working...
                          X