This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Server automount with NFS fails during boot using wireless network

Returning to Kubuntu after abandoning it for about a year, I suddenly encounter a failure to automount my network shares, but only when using the wireless network. Automount is successful using a wired connection to my laptop (Dell XPS).

I've configured fstab countless times with several distros, almost all Ubuntu-based (including Ubuntu):

Server IP:/Server_folder /home/*****/Server nfs defaults 0 0

The mount command in Terminal works fine.

Here is the lower portion of the output of "systemctl status home-*****-Server.mount" (-- suggested for viewing by /var/log/boot.log):

Mar 06 09:13:05 XPS-13-9360-Kubuntu1710 systemd[1]: Mounting /home/*****/Server...
    Mar 06 09:13:05 XPS-13-9360-Kubuntu1710 systemd[1]: home-*****-Server.mount: Mount process exited, code=exited status=32
    Mar 06 09:13:05 XPS-13-9360-Kubuntu1710 systemd[1]: Failed to mount /home/*****/Server.
    Mar 06 09:13:05 XPS-13-9360-Kubuntu1710 systemd[1]: home-*****-Server.mount: Unit entered failed state.

I notice that the wireless network icon loads once the desktop appears at the end of the boot process. Thus, I think the system fails to load networking in time to perform the automount. Why this happens only with the wireless is baffling to me.

Any ideas?
    Last edited by doubled; Mar 06, 2018, 10:35 AM.

Is the wireless connection configuration set to be useable by 'all users'?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Yes.

I finally found just now a solution -- at least it works, inelegant as it seems:

I have replaced "defaults" in fstab with "rw,auto,x-systemd.automount" and I now can open the Server folder in $HOME and see the shares. However, the network icon on Server folder does not show up until I close the folder. That's odd.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/6895...lly-on-startup

Thanks for your reply. I just wish I knew what change has occurred to make "defaults" cease to work.

Comment

I use autofs to mount NFS shares; they remain unmounted unless I need them, mount on demand and unmount when they're no longer needed. Might be worth a look -
        we see things not as they are, but as we are.
        -- anais nin

Comment

Working...
        X