This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrading OpenGL?

My admittedly venerable old Thinkpad with Intel graphics card runs 17.10 fine, but I have some apps I need to run in WINE (actually Codeweavers Crossover) that are complaining about needing an opengl update (MS Office 2016 -- I have clients that are stuck on MS products, so no I can't suggest they move to Libre Office).
    I've installed the proprietary Intel graphics drivers; set System Settings -> Display & Monitor -> Compositor to OpenGL3.1
    But ... it looks like I'm stuck on OpenGL 1.20, and my WINE apps are calling out for 1.30, so they don't work.

Output of glxinfo | grep OpenGL
    Code:
    OpenGL vendor string: Intel Open Source Technology Center
    OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Mobile Intel® GM45 Express Chipset 
    OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 18.1.0-devel
    OpenGL shading language version string: [b]1.20[/b]
    OpenGL extensions:
    OpenGL ES profile version string: OpenGL ES 2.0 Mesa 18.1.0-devel
    OpenGL ES profile shading language version string: OpenGL ES GLSL ES 1.0.16
    OpenGL ES profile extensions:
    So, that looks like OpenGL v. 2.1, with shading language v. 1.20

Output from Crossover
    Code:
    [Properties]
    "opengl.glsl_version"="1.20"

[OpenglNoGLSL130]
    "Level"="Suggest"
    "Title"="OpenGL shading language version is older than 1.30"
    "Description"="This is needed for limited DirectX 10 support."
    Question -- any way to get Opengl 1.30 installed & running without requiring a hardware update? I need the v. 1.30 shading language.

I know I should really invest in a new laptop, but would rather not go that route atm.
    Dont pretend you havent noticed my cardboard box, Julia, because I know you have!

Are you running CodeWeaver's CrossOver 17 ?
    http://www.wine-reviews.net/2017/12/...-games-on.html

https://www.codeweavers.com/crossover-17
    Last edited by GreyGeek; Mar 02, 2018, 08:55 PM.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

What specific gpu do you have (use lspci to find out)?
      It may simply not support GLSL 1.3

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
        Yes, latest version of Crossover. 17.1

(and BTW, it's spelled heroin not heroine -- if you're going to have a provocative sig, you should really try to make it look like you've at least given it some thought
        Last edited by devnulljp; Mar 05, 2018, 05:48 PM.
        Dont pretend you havent noticed my cardboard box, Julia, because I know you have!

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
          What specific gpu do you have (use lspci to find out)?
          It may simply not support GLSL 1.3
          Code:
          ~$lspci -k                                                                                                                                                             
          00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Memory Controller Hub (rev 07)                                                                                      
                Subsystem: Lenovo Mobile 4 Series Chipset Memory Controller Hub
          00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 07)
                Subsystem: Lenovo Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller
                Kernel driver in use: i915
                Kernel modules: i915
          00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 07)
                Subsystem: Lenovo Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller
          I see conflicting reports that this chipset does/doesn't support later versions of openGL.

Probably time to get some new hardware
          Last edited by devnulljp; Mar 05, 2018, 05:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by devnulljp View Post
            Yes, latest version of Crossover. 17.1

(and BTW, it's spelled heroin not heroine -- if you're going to have a provocative sig, you should really try to make it look like you've at least given it some thought
            Thanks for the heads up, and I have given it a LOT of thought. Why would a typo make you assume otherwise?
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
            X