This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrade 14.04 to 16.04 - Upstart works System D doesn't

Hi all, long time no speak. Wondering if you can help. Just upgraded my brother's laptop from 14.04 to 16.04. Went the upgrade route rather than clean install. All seemed to go to plan. However selecting the default boot I see the kubuntu logo for a while then I get a black screen. Rebooting and using the grub advanced options if I select the upstart option it boots as normal. Using the recovery mode (which I assume is systemd) if I drop to a root shell and type startx I get to a desktop as root..

Any thoughts on a simple way to fix this please?

While for some the upgrade path worked just fine, the actual recommended path, initially, was a clean install because of probable issues. I suppose one clue might be to know what kernel it DOES boot into and some system specs.

If you run
    Code:
    inxi -Fxz]
    in a terminal after successfully booting, and paste it in a code box here, I think it could be helpful.
    The next brick house on the left
    Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

IF you get a black screen after you log in it may be that your ~/.Xauthority file has become owned by root. Delete it and reboot.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Hi Thanks for the replies! Actually the more I played with it the more things appeared weird - unresponsive desktop, things generally not working well. What finally sealed the deal was that I was attempting to install spotify and skype for him. The way forward for those 2 appears to be to use snap packages. Whilst the upgrade installed snapd I was unable to actually get it running so I went the clean install route. Success!

There is one weird thing however - on my own laptop whenever I call up an application in the main menu I am able to drag it to the desktop and link it. That doesn't happen on this one whether widgets are locked or unlocked. Wondering if there is a hidden setting somewhere?

Comment

After you unlock widgets and the surf the menu to an app and right click mouse on it, doesn’t it give you options to pin it to favorites, or panel or desktop?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Thanks, unfortunately all I got was add to panel. I don't have the laptop immediately to hand, but I'm wondering whether I need to re-generate the plasma.rc files in the config folder. Possibly a conflict due to the home folder dating back to 14.04 - would that be kde 4? If that's correct there might be other stuff that needs the same treatment. Possibly the .kde folder?

Comment

Config conflicts. One reason why I never upgrade, I always did a fresh install.

Actually, KDENeon is a rolling upgrade and I haven’t done a re-install since I installed it almost 3 yrs ago. When it switches to 21.04 I’ll do a fresh install.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Ahumm ,,,yes it is NOT recommended to try the in place upgrade rout from 14.04 to 16.04 ,,,to big a change from plasma/KDE-4 to plasma-5 ,,,,,you should not even be using the same home folder ,,,that said ,,,,remove/rename the .local .config .cache and .kde and see if it helps when they are regenerated .

as far as linking anything to the desktop ,,,,rite click desktop>configure desktop>layout chang from "desktop" to "folder view"

F snap packages ,,,,I don't like the way it installs a hole virtual root file system to install the packages to then uses loopback mounts to run them ,,,,AND leaves the loop devices mounted even after closing any apps that were using it.

both spotify and skype will install as normal ,,,,,,I have spotify myself ,,,,just DL the desktop client from their website .

VINNY
                i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                16GB RAM
                Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/XenialXerus/...eNotes/Kubuntu

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                  X