This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Audio quality worst than Win10

Hello friends, I can notice a lot of difference in my Kubuntu 17.10 audio in comparison to my win10, which is better. The bass quality in kubuntu is just horrible. I really wanna workaround this. My motherboard is Asus P8Z68-V (onboard audio).

Please help, I'm very new to linux, this is like my first distro.

First, it's all about the driver and how it works with the audio card/chip, plus some audio applications are better than others. So it's not so much about Windows as it is someone who does Linux work for free, or as a side job. So in your Linux, in a terminal, input
    Code:
    inxi -Fxz
    and post the results here, along with the audio application you are using.
    The next brick house on the left
    Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

Originally posted by jglen490 View Post
      First, it's all about the driver and how it works with the audio card/chip, plus some audio applications are better than others. So it's not so much about Windows as it is someone who does Linux work for free, or as a side job. So in your Linux, in a terminal, input
      Code:
      inxi -Fxz
      and post the results here, along with the audio application you are using.
      System: Host: 09321833 Kernel: 4.13.0-32-generic x86_64 bits: 64 gcc: 7.2.0
      Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.10.5 (Qt 5.9.1) Distro: Ubuntu 17.10
      Machine: Device: desktop Mobo: ASUSTeK model: P8Z68-V PRO v: Rev 1.xx serial: N/A
      BIOS: American Megatrends v: 0501 date: 05/09/2011
      CPU: Quad core Intel Core i7-2600 (-HT-MCP-) arch: Sandy Bridge rev.7 cache: 8192 KB
      flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 28022
      clock speeds:max: 5900 MHz 1: 3502 MHz 2: 3502 MHz 3: 3502 MHz 4: 3502 MHz 5: 3502 MHz 6: 3502 MHz
      7: 3502 MHz 8: 3502 MHz
      Graphics: Card: NVIDIA GM204 [GeForce GTX 970] bus-ID: 01:00.0
      Display Server: x11 (X.Org 1.19.5 ) drivers: nvidia (unloaded: modesetting,fbdev,vesa,nouveau)
      Resolution: 1920x1080@60.00hz
      OpenGL: renderer: GeForce GTX 970/PCIe/SSE2 version: 4.5.0 NVIDIA 384.111 Direct Render: Yes
      Audio: Card-1 NVIDIA GM204 High Definition Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 01:00.1
      Card-2 Intel 6 Series/C200 Series Family High Definition Audio Controller
      driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
      Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.13.0-32-generic
      Network: Card: Intel 82579V Gigabit Network Connection driver: e1000e v: 3.2.6-k port: f040 bus-ID: 00:19.0
      IF: eno1 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
      Drives: HDD Total Size: 628.1GB (1.8% used)
      ID-1: /dev/sda model: WDC_WD5000AAKX size: 500.1GB temp: 40C
      ID-2: /dev/sdb model: M4 size: 128.0GB temp: 0C
      Partition:ID-1: / size: 51G used: 11G (22%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sdb3
      RAID: No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
      Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 42.0C mobo: N/A gpu: 0.0:40C
      Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: 0
      Info: Processes: 251 Uptime: 5:35 Memory: 4520.6/16017.6MB Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 7.2.0
      Client: Shell (bash 4.4.121) inxi: 2.3.37

Comment

btw, I'm using soundcloud and youtube to listen to music (through Brave browser). But usually when I'm playing offline I use VLC. Thanks for the quick response!

Comment

I don't know much about the sound side of Linux but can say these Intel cards should work just fine.

You might wan to install an audio equaliser, check in Muon for pulseaudio-equaliser.

Comment

You can try Clementine or Amarok as an actual music player, as well as a music manager - although VLS SHOULD work also.
            The next brick house on the left
            Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

A) to some extent, "sound quality" is "subjective".

B) this person had a long and storied experience with "sound cards".

Notice the word "card"

By and large it "seemed" to be a situation of

a) "fiddling" with stuff.
              b) NVIDIA "seemed" to need "less fiddling"...

One has to remember that the "sound" is "analog" which is being conveted to "digital"

which is to a greater or lesser extent...

a) the "amount" of digital sampling"
              b) the "amount" of digitial sampling in various parts of the "spectrum".

The "spectrum" is "assumed" to be a bell curve but it really is a "jagged edge" wave and also one has to deal with what is known as "RMS" Root Mean Square"...the "bell curve" is "chopped" to the square root of the "mean" of the "bell curve"...

given all that...

The HARDWARE... forces the "programmer" to "interpret" the output of the hardware into the "code"...

SO...WHY is woodsmoke wasting time and digits on this...

Welll

ASUS...is NOT a sound provider...ASUS "interprets" what the hardware provider provides for the hardware that is given to a "programmer" whether Windblows(tm) or "Linux(tm)" ...

It really would help ...not for your problem...but for the people who try to FIX this...to type some kind of "ctrl alt whatever" to determine just PARTICULARLY ..."who" is the hardware and software provider" for your device...

ASUS is not an audio provider...ASUS is hardware provider for people who provide hardware AND software for their "thing"...

so...yes... ASUS sent the "data" for the sound hardware and software for that hardware provider to Windblows(tm) ...FOR MONEY...

and it was PERFECT...for you...

Linux does not have access to that stuff...

IS THAT AN EXCUSE!!?? ummmm yes and no...

if someone much smarter than me does not respond...

I would greatly recommend that you try to "get things straight" and then post the information in a SEPARATE thread...

so that the Linux people can take YOUR INFORMATION and incorporate it into the "sound" part of ---Debian/Ubuntu/Kubuntu/...

just a thought
              woodsmoke
              sigpic
              Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

I am with Teuinis on this. I had a new user complain of the sound coming out of his headphones when he started using Linux, I forget which version. My initial reaction was to install Pulseaudio-equalizer from the repositories.

It has quite a few pre-sets or you can play with all the channels to individualise it. The user found a setting that was pleasing and we had another happy user. By the way, settings are system wide but you can set up presets for any application if you want to and switch if you need to. He had a setting for streaming to his TV and another for when he was using headphones.
                Volunteer OS Installer and Supporter for New Linux Users.
                So much to learn.... So little time!

Comment

Funny(?) thing is, I can't get that equaliser working on 17.10...

Code:
                  teunis@W520:~$ qpaeq
                  There was an error connecting to pulseaudio, please make sure you have the pulseaudio dbus module loaded, exiting...

Comment

You may have a corrupted confuguration file. It can be safely deleted and will rebuild itself. Here is from an instruction I sent to a user who had a problem. It fixed it for him.

Reset the pulse audio user Configuration
                    Pulse audio's user configuration file can become corrupted. Deleting it will generate a new one and should fix a problem of no sound. I cannot remember if it needs to be run with "sudo" but try it first and if it tells you you need to have administrator privileges, add sudo in front followed by a space.
                    On Ubuntu 13.04 ,and later, open a terminal session and enter the following command:

rm -r ~/.config/pulse; pulseaudio -k

Copy and paste the command into a terminal.
                    The system must be re-started to rebuild the configuration files.

That is all there is to it. Hope it solves your problem.
                    Volunteer OS Installer and Supporter for New Linux Users.
                    So much to learn.... So little time!

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis View Post
                      Funny(?) thing is, I can't get that equaliser working on 17.10...

Code:
                      teunis@W520:~$ qpaeq
                      There was an error connecting to pulseaudio, please make sure you have the pulseaudio dbus module loaded, exiting...
                      first
                      Code:
                      pactl load-module module-equalizer-sink
                      then
                      Code:
                      pactl load-module module-dbus-protocol
                      ,,,,,,now try the qpaeq again

VINNY
                      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                      16GB RAM
                      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Vinny, great advice!

Yes the equaliser works, yet I wonder why these modules don't load automagically.

It took a bit of fiddling to get the sound via the equaliser to the Dell USB sound bar instead of the internal speakers.

Regretfully the equaliser confirmed what the doctor said, above 8 KHz my hearing is dropping off fast...

Comment

Sounds like you’ll be getting fitted for hearing aids soon. I’ve been wearing them for about 5 yrs and while they help you to hear better they don’t stop the deterioration of your hearing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis View Post
                            Vinny, great advice!

Yes the equaliser works, yet I wonder why these modules don't load automagically.

It took a bit of fiddling to get the sound via the equaliser to the Dell USB sound bar instead of the internal speakers.

Regretfully the equaliser confirmed what the doctor said, above 8 KHz my hearing is dropping off fast...
                            you do not get privet messages ? ,,,I sent you one .

anyway to get the modules to load at boot "automagically" copy and past this at the end ,,,the very end of /etc/pulse/default.pa

Code:
                            ### Load the integrated PulseAudio equalizer and D-Bus module
                            load-module module-equalizer-sink
                            load-module module-dbus-protocol
                            see hear https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...udio-equalizer

VINNY
                            i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                            16GB RAM
                            Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Hi Vinny, sorry for missing your message.

And a big thanks for the solution!

Comment

Working...
                              X