This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LibreOffice 6.0.1.1

Please update to LibreOffice 6.0.1.1. If you are already working on the packages then great. Thank you.
    Just to remind users and devs that Ubuntu and its flavors have a long way to go to be as usr friendly as they should be.

http://www.kubuntu.org/getkubuntu

You can download the .deb files from libreoffice.org, extract them, open a terminal window, navigate to the location you extracted the files, and use sudo dpkg -i *.deb to install. This method should create menu shortcuts.

Or wait until kubuntu 18.04 and hope they include that release of LibreOffice in the final to be released at the end of April.
    Nowadays I'm mostly Mac, but...
    tron: KDE neon User | MacPro5,1 | 3.2GHz Xeon | 48GB RAM | 250GB, 1TB, & 500GB Samsung SSDs | Nvidia GTX 980 Ti

Comment

Originally posted by benny_fletch View Post
      You can download the .deb files from libreoffice.org, extract them, open a terminal window, navigate to the location you extracted the files, and use sudo dpkg -i *.deb to install. This method should create menu shortcuts. ...
      Or install via https://launchpad.net/~libreoffice/+archive/ubuntu/ppa which keep your LibreOffice relatively new and shiny. Going the .deb download route won't provide automatic updates.
      This PPA will have what the Document Foundation calls "LibreOffice fresh", the latest release of the newest series (but no alpha/beta releases).
      Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Originally posted by chimak111 View Post
        Or install via https://launchpad.net/~libreoffice/+archive/ubuntu/ppa which keep your LibreOffice relatively new and shiny. Going the .deb download route won't provide automatic updates.
        Thank you for the heads up! I will definitely utilize this when 18.04 is released.
        tron: KDE neon User | MacPro5,1 | 3.2GHz Xeon | 48GB RAM | 250GB, 1TB, & 500GB Samsung SSDs | Nvidia GTX 980 Ti

Comment

Don't want to hijack the thread but...

MY COLLEGE...I am bragging here...MY COLLEGE...apparently...APPARENTLY...after I could not open PREVIOUS SEMESR PQPWNRTa that WERE ON THE SERVER...and that I had used for a couple of years

did something...

And now...

an OPEEEN DOKUMnt PREXtnata

OHHH DEEE PEEE

Opens...perfectly under the latest greratest updated for tens of thousands of dollars WiDBloZ Teeen\ to avoid bots

A College can do something if it so chooses...

AND...WE CAN THANK ol willlly billlll clUNTO on for this...that man actually toook the evil one to task...and the thing has been working its way through the syatem for years...

woodlikeswhatthatmandiddecadesagiosmoke
          sigpic
          Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

@benny_fletch, you're welcome. BTW, here's something I haven't tried which is a way to have two versions installed on the same system at the same time: https://askubuntu.com/questions/3064...of-libreoffice

I think it would be simpler to install the newer version on a VM before installing it on your main machine(s).
            Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

my misspellings were apuropose to throw off bots
              woodsmoke
              sigpic
              Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

@chimak111 - General question... how long have you used this PPA and have you ran into any issues related to its use? I noticed LibreOffice 6.0.4 was release today so I added the PPA you mentioned above, but I noticed some of the packages are labeled rc2. Now I know LibreOffice is notorious for releasing rc2 builds as final builds when no fixes were needed, but I just was curious on your past experiences with this repo. TIA!

Comment

@benny_fletch, I can't say for sure, but it's easily been a few months. This was on Kubuntu 16.04.

Just today, I purged the default LibO on Kubuntu 18.04,

ran
                  Code:
                  sudo add-apt-repository ppa:libreoffice/libreoffice-6-0
                  and then installed just writer and calc which is all I need.

Code:
                  libreoffice-base-core/bionic,now 1:6.0.3-0ubuntu1 amd64 [installed,automatic]
                  libreoffice-calc/bionic,now 1:6.0.3-0ubuntu1 amd64 [installed]
                  libreoffice-common/bionic,now 1:6.0.3-0ubuntu1 all [installed,automatic]
                  libreoffice-core/bionic,now 1:6.0.3-0ubuntu1 amd64 [installed,automatic]
                  libreoffice-gtk3/bionic,now 1:6.0.3-0ubuntu1 amd64 [installed]
                  libreoffice-math/bionic,now 1:6.0.3-0ubuntu1 amd64 [installed,automatic]
                  libreoffice-style-galaxy/bionic,now 1:6.0.3-0ubuntu1 all [installed,automatic]
                  libreoffice-style-tango/bionic,now 1:6.0.3-0ubuntu1 all [installed,automatic]
                  libreoffice-writer/bionic,now 1:6.0.3-0ubuntu1 amd64 [installed]
                  I (still) prefer to have libreoffice-gtk3 rather than the kde versions.

Overall, it does the job. I can't point to a single benefit of using the ppa over the regular repo version except that I can pick the components I want.

Re. 6.0.4, I guess it maybe a couple of days before the ppa gets it.
                  Last edited by chimak111; May 09, 2018, 08:06 PM.
                  Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

I added this repo:
                    Code:
                    [COLOR=#333333]sudo add-apt-repository ppa:libreoffice/ppa[/COLOR]
                    and most of my packages are this version:
                    Code:
                    [COLOR=#333333][FONT=Ubuntu]1:6.0.4~rc2-0ubuntu0.18.04.1[/FONT][/COLOR]
                    Apparently I did it wrong (maybe "differently" is a better word)... oh well, I will monitor the situation and let you know how it goes.

Comment

Originally posted by woodsmoke View Post
                      my misspellings were apuropose to throw off bots
                      woodsmoke
                      I think they threw off more than the bots! [emoji3]
                      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by benny_fletch View Post
                        I added this repo:
                        Code:
                        [COLOR=#333333]sudo add-apt-repository ppa:libreoffice/ppa[/COLOR]
                        and most of my packages are this version:
                        Code:
                        [COLOR=#333333][FONT=Ubuntu]1:6.0.4~rc2-0ubuntu0.18.04.1[/FONT][/COLOR]
                        Apparently I did it wrong (maybe "differently" is a better word)... oh well, I will monitor the situation and let you know how it goes.
                        The reason I chose the ppa I did, is that it's limited to version 6.0.x. I won't get updated to version 6.1.x, etc. I can then choose to move to version 6.1.x when it reaches the second or third bug fix and, presumably, be "better"

Right now,I'm experiencing a niggle with Calc. When I enter text or numbers in a cell or even edit a cell, the contents are "pushed up" and become partly visible. When I hit enter, things get into the right position. Of course, I can always look at the formula bar instead where things are normal.
                        Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Originally posted by chimak111 View Post
                          Right now,I'm experiencing a niggle with Calc. When I enter text or numbers in a cell or even edit a cell, the contents are "pushed up" and become partly visible. When I hit enter, things get into the right position. Of course, I can always look at the formula bar instead where things are normal.
                          I have Lubuntu 18.04 in a qemu/kvm machine. I just installed libreoffice-calc & libreoffice-gtk3 in that OS and see the same thing.
                          Code:
                          libreoffice-calc/bionic,now 1:6.0.3-0ubuntu1 amd64 [installed]
                          So I'm guessing this is a feature, and not something I did.
                          Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Working...
                          X