This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
    In a konsole just type: cat /etc/fstab and look for an entry that identifies swap. If it's there, you have a swap partition.
    I have one:

Code:
    # swap was on /dev/sda5 during installation
    UUID=cd4e1636-84f6-4ee9-bbe9-0ff88cd69429 none            swap    sw              0 # swap was on /dev/sda5 during installation
    kubuntu version: 16.04.5 LTS

Laptop: Toshiba-Satellite-L350

Comment

you have a swap partition ,,,,,,,but why you put it in an extended partition is beyond me at the moment .

at any rate the drive is full so the only option for making the swap bigger is a bit dangerous,,,,,at this point I would just wate until you get the RAM installed and see how it goes ,,,,if you decide then that you need more swap then we can deal with it then .

VINNY
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
        you have a swap partition ,,,,,,,but why you put it in an extended partition is beyond me at the moment .

at any rate the drive is full so the only option for making the swap bigger is a bit dangerous,,,,,at this point I would just wate until you get the RAM installed and see how it goes ,,,,if you decide then that you need more swap then we can deal with it then .

VINNY
        I expect that the programme made the decision

Comment

I agree with vinny, just leave your swap at 1GB. Chances are you won't use it much with 4GB RAM, and you won't miss the drive space at all.

I have a 3GB swap partition on my desktop and 8GB RAM. I don't think my swap has ever been used, but it's there if Linux needs it for something.
          The next brick house on the left
          Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

Does the swap file purge itself?

Comment

Originally posted by anonprivate View Post
              Does the swap file purge itself?
              you have a swap partition ,,,,,not swap file ,,,,,it's 2 different things.

if you mean dose the swap partition empty it's self when the system is done using it ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,yes ,,,the system will empty it back out.

VINNY
              i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
              16GB RAM
              Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I have now ordered 4 1xGB memory modules.

The manual says regarding installation:

'Install memory module in DIMM 1 before installing modules in other connectors'

I think that I could disconnect the system from the mains (touch the case) remove the 512 MB modules, install the 4 x 1 GB modules, switch the power back on and press the on button.

Will this not work?

Comment

Yes, that will work. The instruction about putting memory in DIMM 1 first refers to using that slot if you only have one DIMM, not the sequence of installing DIMMs.
                  Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

I have noticed that, at present, my system freezes a lot and I have to reboot. Is this likely to be due to only having 1 GB of RAM, or, and, a full swap partition? When the system freezes, I can hear the disk spinning away, almost as if it is looking for something, but can't find it.

Best wishes

Ps. RAM should arrive in a few days

Comment

To prevent static discharge from damaging your RAM or components on your mobo you should connect a wrist strap from your wrist to the chassis (power supply case or ground terminal) of your PC. It is difficult to keep one hand on the power supply case while trying to remove or insert a RAM card with the other hand. Not impossible, but difficult.
                      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I have noticed that, at present, my system freezes a lot and I have to reboot. Is this likely to be due to only having 1 GB of RAM, or, and, a full swap partition? When the system freezes, I can hear the disk spinning away, almost as if it is looking for something, but can't find it.

Best wishes

Ps. RAM should arrive in a few days
                        That's all the swapping that Linux is doing to process something within limited resources! Back and forth between memory, disk, swap space and so the disk spins even though it doesn't LOOK like the computer is doing anything. Your new RAM should take care of all but the most severe computing/processing activities. Those activities will go to memory (which is really fast) in bigger chunks with fewer small writes to disk or swap.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                          To prevent static discharge from damaging your RAM or components on your mobo you should connect a wrist strap from your wrist to the chassis (power supply case or ground terminal) of your PC. It is difficult to keep one hand on the power supply case while trying to remove or insert a RAM card with the other hand. Not impossible, but difficult.
                          Good advice

Comment

Originally posted by jglen490 View Post
                            That's all the swapping that Linux is doing to process something within limited resources! Back and forth between memory, disk, swap space and so the disk spins even though it doesn't LOOK like the computer is doing anything. Your new RAM should take care of all but the most severe computing/processing activities. Those activities will go to memory (which is really fast) in bigger chunks with fewer small writes to disk or swap.
                            Thank you

Comment

Good advice
                              Not quite good enough ... be sure to pull the plug out of the wall first!
                              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                                Not quite good enough ... be sure to pull the plug out of the wall first!
                                Hmmm, that sounds about right!! A 220 volt leak into the case in anonprivate's UK, would be a stinker ...

Comment

Working...
                                X