Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I read the title first time and thought "what, it uninstalls itself and tells you to use a better program?"

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
      Skype. Good only for casual video conversations or chats. Talking about private stuff, future plans, business or political topics is a good way to get your conversation used against you in a FISA court.

http://blog.tmcnet.com/blog/tom-keat...iretapping.asp
      I use (used) Skype quite a bit, it saves a lot on international calls.

But I'm also worried about the lack of privacy and since about half a year I'm using Signal, it works very well and although it can't guarantee total privacy at least it gives complete confidentiality.
      Just a little problem waiting for developers is that it needs to be installed on an Android or iOS device with a phone number.
      Since very recently it has a Linux client that can communicate via the mobile device but so far only for texting and data, no voice or video.

https://signal.org/

Comment

What's a safe place to get skype for Linux (a .deb file), version 8.17.76.1 ?
        Maybe this:
        https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/skype/...-76-1-release/
        ?

(The latest update through Muon is 8.17.76.3, and it has the same issues as the OP discussed.)
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Hmm ... Cancel that ... Woke up this morning, restarted, and the newest Skype 8.17.76.3 DOES work! WTH?
          An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post

Gee, I wish I had something interesting to hide.

Unfortunately, I'm serious.
            It doesn’t matter if you think you have nothing to hide. What matters is what those with the badges think, and what they see between the lines of your innocent conversations. Your menu selection could be interpreted by paranoid investigators to be a coded msg.
            Watch the YouTube video “Don’t Talk to the police” by a law professor
            https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=d-7o9xYp7eE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

... continuing discussion about Skype ... Boy, I just had a Skype experience that shows how stupid the powers-that-be-behind-Skype are when it comes to privacy. I opened Skype. One of my contacts is a competitor-friend I will call B. in the turquoise business, a business that is neat but also kind of stinky: you guard your connections, sources, customers, hear-say, you guard everything you do and only very carefully let out controlled information and only as needed and only "your way." Well, Skype must have seen that B. is in my contact list. In a panel called "Other people you may wish to know," Skype lists B.'s brother. Well, B.'s brother has lots of money, is a new entrant, is on the move, and is someone I would really like to connect with as he is a buyer for certain high-line items. I have not asked my friend B. explicitly for direct contact info on his brother, waiting for the right, appropriate, proper time, maybe a time when I can return some profitable favor to B. B., btw, is also positioning to sell to his brother as his brother is building fresh inventory. Of course, I will tell B. today that Skype served up his brother's contact button to me this morning, we'll have a laugh about it, and let it go, and, of course, I will not tap that contact button without B.'s permission, which, of course, I will not ask for, out of self respect and respect for B. But you get the point. Sometimes privacy issues can be rather sensitive both in friendship and in business. And Skype has no business helping anonymous members build their contact list.

Comment

Skypeforlinux Now Works as it Should

And, of course, Microsoft’s “contact list” contains all three of you, and recordings of everything you write or say.

Does B. and his brother know that? If he does, and he is as stinky as you say, he could lure you into misleading conversations and then use them against you.

When I was conducting my computer consulting business fully 2/3rds of folks who asked me to write GAAP software for them also asked for a second set of “private” books that gave a “better” picture of profits. That’s when I excused myself from the negotiations.
                Last edited by GreyGeek; Apr 21, 2018, 09:21 AM.
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis View Post
                  I'm using Signal, it works very well and although it can't guarantee total privacy at least it gives complete confidentiality.

Those two conditions are contradictory. If you have COMPLETE confidentiality then your have COMPLETE privacy. If you can’t guarantee privacy then neither can you guarantee confidentiality.

Comment

GG: Does B. and his brother know that? If he does, and he is as stinky as you say, he could lure you into misleading conversations and then use them against you.
                    No nothing like that, nothing illegal. It is all about proprietary info, or secret info on sourcing rough turquoise, or info on pricing, customers, websites, and markets. Of course, this game has changed a lot: If someone has a website selling goods, say especially on Instagram, you can go there and see exactly what that seller is doing, his prices, his products, and even WHO he is selling to as the buyers' user names are right there in front of god and everyone. In fact YOU can easily contact HIS buyers, simply by clicking on the buyer's user name and it takes you to contact info on that buyer, his/her website, interests, etc. The real game now is guarding your sources of rough material. I'm glad I'm somewhat mostly pretty much retired from that rat race, except for occasional hobby-level participation.

Comment

You made me glad I never had to sell Turquoise for a living!

Comment

Working...
                      X