This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Phantom Printers Appearing

O.K., this is one I've never seen before. I just purchased a new laptop, repartitioned it to get Windows off, and installed 16.04. It works just fine, except that when I went to add my printer in System Settings, I discovered there are already three there. Where did they come from? More to the point, how do I get rid of them? I've tried to delete them both through System Settings and through CUPS, but they seem invulnerable. Is there some command-line syntax I can use as root to get rid of them?

For what it's worth, here is the CUPS listing:

Brother_MFC_J825DW 3641 Home Printer @ alfred’s MacBook Pro alfreds-MacBook-Pro.local Remote Printer Idle

PrintSmart_BW_Laser PrintSmart_BW_Laser @ Jennifer’s MacBook Pro Jennifers-MacBook-Pro-3.local Remote Printer Idle

PrintSmart_Color_Laser PrintSmart_Color_Laser @ Jennifer’s MacBook Pro Jennifers-MacBook-Pro-3.local Remote Printer Idle

Since I wiped the original (Windows 10) OS off with the repartition, nothing should be there except what I put there. Any ideas what I should do now?

those look like printers with wireless broadcasting there selves , you got neighbors close by ?

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

All three are 'remote printers', so they are printers on your network and available to 'all'. Who is Jennifer and alfred?
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I've no help to offer, but to say my bother printer on my LAN does that, appearing on its own, reappearing if I remove it, even though there's another entry I set up for that printer.

Regards, John Little
        Regards, John Little

Comment

Hi, Vinny,
          Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I think you have hit on it. I was at work when they showed up. I took the laptop home (65 miles from work, which certainly would stop me from picking up those broadcasts) and upon booting it up, Alfred and Jennifer and their printers had disappeared. (In answer to Snowhog, I know of no one on the campus where I work with either of those names, but that doesn't mean they can't be there somewhere.)
          What confused me is that the printers showed up in System Settings, but not as separate entries in "Networks." There are other printers on the network I use at work, but none of them showed up in Printers; I have to add them manually through socket://IP address. So I'm confused but no longer concerned. At least those "phantom printers" are not actually installed on my machine.
          Thanks to all.

Comment

And here's one other weird thing. When I got back to my office this morning, I checked System Settings/Printers on my desktop, which is on the same wireless network as the laptop. The rogue printers do not appear there. And neither, this morning, do they appear on the laptop. Go figure. (I supposed it's always possible that they were there yesterday and removed overnight.) In any event, since their appearance seems to do no harm, I'm going to mark this thread solved . . . if I can figure out how.

Comment

You probably haven them set for “Auto” in the Show property of the system settings configuration. Change it to “Always”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

When I find an unsecured printer, I send it a comment page...

Please Read Me

Comment

Comment? As in the entire contents of "War and Peace"?

Sorry, that was evil ...
                  The next brick house on the left
                  Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

Originally posted by jglen490 View Post
                    Comment? As in the entire contents of "War and Peace"?

Sorry, that was evil ...
                    LOL, no but a good idea. I just send a "Hey, nice printer. Thanks for letting me use it." or something similar. It's only happened twice.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                    X