X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Most Popular Linux Desktop and Programs

Slashdot just came up with this story:
    https://linux.slashdot.org/story/18/...sktop-programs

The most recent Linux Questions poll results are in. Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols, writing for ZDNet: LinuxQuestions, one of the largest internet Linux groups with 550,000 members, has just posted the results from its latest survey of desktop Linux users. In the always hotly-contested Linux desktop environment survey, the winner was the KDE Plasma Desktop. It was followed by the popular lightweight Xfce, Cinnamon, and GNOME. If you want to buy a computer with pre-installed Linux, the Linux Questions crew's favorite vendor by far was System76. Numerous other computer companies offer Linux on their PCs. These include both big names like Dell and dedicated small Linux shops such as ZaReason, Penguin Computing, and Emperor Linux. Many first choices weren't too surprising. For example, Linux users have long stayed loyal to the Firefox web browser, and they're still big fans.

Firefox beat out Google Chrome by a five-to-one margin. And, as always, the VLC media player is far more popular than any other Linux media player. For email clients, Mozilla Thunderbird remains on top. That's a bit surprising given how Thunderbird's development has been stuck in neutral for some time now. When it comes to text editors, I was pleased to see vim -- my personal favorite -- win out over its perpetual rival, Emacs. In fact, nano and Kate both came ahead of Emacs.
    http://www.zdnet.com/article/the-mos...-programs-are/

Nice to see KDE is on top, among the Gnome and Unity users there are still a lot of old wives tales about KDE and Kubuntu but this is with 10,000 voters probably closer to the facts, KDE just works for many people.

IMHO, the "Most Popular Linux Desktop" is the one that the user chooses to run on their machine. It doesn't matter what other people use, only what you use.

Ergo, when Shuttlesworth was dorking around with the Ubuntu desktop I sailed along happily on my KDE ship with nary a leak and no one threatening to pull the plug.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

imo, Linux Questions users are by noi means your average bunch of users

Comment

I thought this thread was close enough w/o starting a new one, since it's sort of a DE-centric thread :P List will be updated monthly. Kinda surprisingly (or maybe not) KDE Neon is on top by a nice margin. I know...take DistroWatch with a grain of salt, but it's still something.

The Top 5 Dedicated KDE Plasma Distributions on DistroWatch - Updated March 2018 -

BlueStar at #3 was a bit surprising, I have to admit.
        ​"Keep it between the ditches"
        K*Digest Blog
        K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by dequire View Post
          I thought this thread was close enough w/o starting a new one, since it's sort of a DE-centric thread :P List will be updated monthly. Kinda surprisingly (or maybe not) KDE Neon is on top by a nice margin. I know...take DistroWatch with a grain of salt, but it's still something.

The Top 5 Dedicated KDE Plasma Distributions on DistroWatch - Updated March 2018 -

BlueStar at #3 was a bit surprising, I have to admit.
          and my 2 favorites are right their in first and second place .

VINNY
          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
          16GB RAM
          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Ditto, VINNY!
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Always nice to see KDE right in there
              Dave Kubuntu 20.04 Registered Linux User #462608

Wireless Script: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...5#post12350385

Comment

And the quality continues!!
                Yesterday I dl’d the 20180411 binary of KDE Neon and made a persistent LiveUSB. Running off of the USB stick with the default video driver it was rock solid and just as fast as my HD installation. It wasn’t using Btrfs.
                I found that Discover was very fast and usable. It did hang, however. I clicked on about a dozen apps to install them and Discover showed the % progress bar, beginning with 0% for each app.
                The last app started at 0% and stayed there. Eventually I clicked the “X” to close it. An “Application not responding” dialog appeared and I terminated it. Investigating, I found that all the apps had installed correctly.

That daily binary was, in all respects, excellent. IMO.

Comment

Working...
                X