Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Proprietary Nvidia driver will not work.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry for the "off topic"
    @vinnywright, in your post 4 you have a screenshot of your desktop, what panel you have in your right image? I like so much...
    Again, sorry for the off topic.

Comment

Originally posted by wonder View Post
      Sorry for the "off topic"
      @vinnywright, in your post 4 you have a screenshot of your desktop, what panel you have in your right image? I like so much...
      Again, sorry for the off topic.
      thats "conky" it can be,,,,, tedious to setup

VINNY
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

THIS is a smart man.

Originally posted by mr_raider View Post
        Don't trust the manager. Use the command line:

Code:
        sudo apt install nvidia-xxx
        Where xxx is your driver series. I'm not running 17.10 so you need to verify which driver comes in the repo.

Code:
        apt search nvidia*
        sigpic
        Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Originally posted by deathromantik View Post
          As far as my card being too new, this model is over a year old and worked previously on older versions of Kubuntu.
          Something is up with my system, I want help finding out exactly what is wrong and how to fix it not irrelevant information or preaching.
          Here since you did not get what i was saying let me repeat myself.
          Your system can only be held hostage by what kernels their driver supports. Try an older driver and / or kernel 4.15 maybe to new and Nvidia may not support it in their properitary driver.

I.e YOU NEED TO WAIT FOR NVIDIA TO SUPPORT THE NEWER KERNELS DKMS will only get you so far and there will be time that your video will just break because nvidia does not work with our community to provide drivers that can be updated correctly with the kernel. This kind of stuff is completely normal for properitary drivers. Now is the time to get a card that has better open source support because when we all move to wayland your gonna have some serious problems with Nvida. They still refuses to support the methods neeed for wayland to work correctly they refuse to help the nouveau folks so you dont get a nice wayland experanse on either driver. Knowing this stuff is not relevent to you.
          Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
          (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Originally posted by deathromantik View Post
            as for that DKMS thing oshunluvr posted, I am stuck with that since I don't know what to put in the DKMS file and where to put it. The instructions are for a network driver and it is put in a path that does not exist, this is a GPU driver so what do I do?
            What I was trying to suggest is to check dkms, see if the kernel package built, if not, attempt a manual build, if you get any errors, you've found the problem.

Start with;

dkms status

You should see something like:

nvidia-387, 387.34, 4.13.0-33-generic, x86_64: installed
            nvidia-387, 387.34, 4.13.0-35-generic, x86_64: installed
            nvidia-387, 387.34, 4.13.0-36-generic, x86_64: installed

I have three kernels currently and dkms built a nvidia module for each of them. If the kernel you're booting to or the driver you have installed does not appear in this list, attempt a manual module build. For example:

sudo dkms build -k <kernel version> -m nvidia -v <driver version>

Please Read Me

Comment

Mostly, as sithlord and I tried to say: If you want a working system, use a known working kernel and known working nvidia driver.

IMO, more than half the problems people encounter with nvidia drivers is they upgrade for no reason. If you are having a problem that a newly released driver fixes by all means, go for it. But if you're just upgrading because it is there, you're wasting your time and risking your install for no reason at all.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
                thats "conky" it can be,,,,, tedious to setup

VINNY
                Thanks!!

Comment

Originally posted by wonder View Post
                  Thanks!!
                  If you decide to play with conky, the best way to get started is downloading some conky configs from the 'net and playing with them Pick out the pieces you want, etc.

It's actually kinda fun to play with. With enough code and time you can literally load your desktop with info. I keep mine small:
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20180213_125040.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	643797

Please Read Me

Comment

I ended up messing up my installs, so I re-installed. Driver works fine, I have other unrelated issues though.

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                      If you decide to play with conky, the best way to get started is downloading some conky configs from the 'net and playing with them Pick out the pieces you want, etc.

It's actually kinda fun to play with. With enough code and time you can literally load your desktop with info. I keep mine small:
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]7436[/ATTACH]
                      Apologies for the delay in answering. I had a problem with my motherboard and, luckily, it is under warranty, and I could change it.

Thanks for your reply, yes, I want play with conky, but your reply, its great help, I try with some conky configs like kinda

Again, thank you!

Comment

Working...
                      X