X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Invisible menus and tooltips?

Hello all,
    I have a strange issue where some applications have invisible menus.
    Examples:
    - In KTorrent the all the menus are invisible; the menu bar works fine (the button stays highlighted after clicking), each menu is there but is invisible (confirmed by clicking at random below the clicked button). Same for right-click menus.
    - In Firefox (58) all the buttons of the default toolbar have that same behavior (invisible effect): for example the "download" button (to the right of the address bar in the default configuration) should show a panel with the ongoing/completed downloads, it is there but again invisible. Same for the quick-bookmarking button. Instead the menus from the menu bar work just fine. Also in Firefox all the image tooltips are missing (presumably invisible too?).
    - In Okular all the menus are invisible (from the menu bar, the toolbar and right-click).

Some applications which appear to work fine instead: konsole, gimp, chromium, vlc, dolphin, ksysguard.

Kubuntu 16.04.03, Qt 5.6.1, KDE Frameworks 5.36.0.

Any tips? Thank you!
    Last edited by Ocirne94; Jan 26, 2018, 05:51 AM. Reason: Added more examples

See this thread: https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...ight=tool+tips
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

In terms of Firefox 58.0, the download arrow only shows during and after a download. If you clear the download list, the download arrow disappears. It's now designed that way. In the Tools dropdown menu, the first entry is the Downloads box and History. The download arrow's display behavior has changed, but it kind of makes sense because if you have nothing in your download list, why display the arrow when it can't do anything.
      The next brick house on the left
      Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

Just to address the download arrow in Firefox 57 onward, if one wants the arrow to always be visible, click on Customize and then click on the download arrow. A little pop-up (?) appears to give the user the choice to autohide the download arrow.
        Attached Files
        Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

That works, but it doesn't do much. if you have no current downloads listed, it just says "No downloads for this session" and shows a link to the Downloads menu, which is already in the Tools drop down. So I just turned Autohide back on; the arrow will show up the next time I download something. Until then ...
          The next brick house on the left
          Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

I am having the same problem with Okular, is there a fix?

Comment

Does anyone know if there is a fix for this? I tried reinstalling Okular through the Muon Package Manager, it did not fix the problem…

Comment

Snowhog recommended this thread:
                https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...ight=tool+tips

Did you visit that thread?
                It could be that you have the wrong theme installed.
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Thanks, I did see that thread, but it doesn't describe the problem I am having.

My problem is only in Okular, and there are no menus whatsoever, not black-on-black text as described in the thread. Not even a blank box of the size and shape that the menu would be if it were there; simply nothing, and only in Okular. And I have never changed the theme of Okular. While I have changed the system theme, it has been quite some time since I did so and this problem only started recently.

Comment

I would suspect something in your user configuration has gone awry. A quick (ish) way to check that is to add another user and see if the problem occurs logged in as that user.

If it doesn't, a next step might be try and identify what in your set-up has changed. F. ex. in a konsole:
                    Code:
                    $ find . -newermt "last monday" | more
                    (the date can be in many formats, and there may be pages of stuff to ignore).

Another could be to rename .config to .config-old, log out and back in, check for the problem, then rename it back, log out and in. If that affects the problem, cd into .config and investigate there. Repeat for .local and other dot files in your home directory.

Consider also cutting your losses and wipe and reinstall after backing up your data. The point where that will save time only you can judge, but it can be surprisingly early for some. (Not me... though I have wasted lots of time and effort through stubbornly chasing problems long past when I should have reinstalled.)

Here I must make a plug for the benefits of using btrfs with regular snapshots, particularly before updates (if I don't GreyGeek will). With btrfs one has easy options for going back in time, either to investigate or to undo stuff.

Regards, John Little
                    Regards, John Little

Comment

Someone in another thread with a similar problem found that changing the compositor to xrender to fix it.
                      https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...l=1#post417824
                      Last edited by GreyGeek; Jul 12, 2018, 06:30 PM.
                      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Thanks, I'll give it a try!

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
                          Here I must make a plug for the benefits of using btrfs with regular snapshots, particularly before updates (if I don't GreyGeek will). With btrfs one has easy options for going back in time, either to investigate or to undo stuff.

Regards, John Little
                          Thanks for the suggestions, I'll try them out! What is "BTRFS"?

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                            Someone in another thread with a similar problem found that changing the compositor to xrender to fix it.
                            https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...l=1#post417824
                            Thanks, this did it!

Comment

Originally posted by jpc2769 View Post
                              ... What is "BTRFS"?
                              What is BTRFS he asks?

Just the only file system I will ever use (unless I am using a server for databases and virtual drives).

Comment

Working...
                              X