• Time
  • Show
Clear All

User Management 2018

Older: https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...ser-Management

With the KDE Frameworks 5.41.0, Plasma 5.11.5

A wish: Bug 376157 - kf5 kuser: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=376157

The lxqt-admin-user will ask password when needed:

Adding the LXQt User and Group Settings to the KDE Menu and the KDE systemsettings

lxqt-admin: https://github.com/lxde/lxqt-admin

Ubuntu packages: https://packages.ubuntu.com/search?k...ll&section=all

KDE Menu

Copying the lxqt-admin 0.12.0 /usr/share/applications/lxqt-admin-user.desktop to the $HOME/.local/share/applications/lxqt-admin-user.desktop

and disabling the
    Code:
    OnlyShowIn=LXQt;
    =>
    Code:
    #OnlyShowIn=LXQt;

Now the lxqt-admin-user is shown in the KDE menu:

KDE systemsettings

The lxqt-admin-user can be added to the KDE Systemsettings as an external application by writing a desktop file $HOME/.local/share/kservices5/kcm_lxqt_users_groups.desktop:

Code:
    [Desktop Entry]
    Exec=lxqt-admin-user
    Icon=user-group-properties
    Type=Service
    Categories=Qt;KDE;X-KDE-settings-system;

X-KDE-ServiceTypes=SystemSettingsExternalApp
    X-KDE-ParentApp=lxqt-admin-user

X-KDE-System-Settings-Parent-Category=accountdetails
    #X-KDE-Weight=20
    X-KDE-Keywords=users,groups,system,administration
    X-KDE-Keywords[x-test]=xxusersxx,xxgroupsxx,xxsystemxx,xxadministrationxx

Name=LXQt User Manager
    Name[x-test]=xxLXQt User Managerxx

Comment=Add, remove or edit system users and groups
    Comment[x-test]=xxAdd, remove or edit system users and groupsxx
    Last edited by Rog131; Jan 07, 2018, 05:39 AM.
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Great post! I was just about to start a thread in the software support section for 18.04 before I found your article. I have been away from KDE since v4, so I was unaware kuser disappeared. lxqt-admin-user has returned the functionality I desire (mainly group membership management). Thank you Rog131!

One question though, I do not have a .local/share/kservices5 folder in my home directory, but it is not a big deal since I can access lxqt-admin-user from the menu.
    Nowadays I'm mostly Mac, but...
    tron: KDE neon User | MacPro5,1 | 3.2GHz Xeon | 48GB RAM | 250GB, 1TB, & 500GB Samsung SSDs | Nvidia GTX 980 Ti

Comment

Originally posted by benny_fletch View Post

One question though, I do not have a .local/share/kservices5 folder in my home directory, but it is not a big deal since I can access lxqt-admin-user from the menu.

The user can create missing directories either with the mkdir:

Code:
      $ mkdir --help
      Usage: mkdir [OPTION]... DIRECTORY...
      Create the DIRECTORY(ies), if they do not already exist.

Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too.
      -m, --mode=MODE   set file mode (as in chmod), not a=rwx - umask
      -p, --parents     no error if existing, make parent directories as needed
      -v, --verbose     print a message for each created directory
      -Z                   set SELinux security context of each created directory
                             to the default type
          --context[=CTX]  like -Z, or if CTX is specified then set the SELinux
                             or SMACK security context to CTX
          --help     display this help and exit
          --version  output version information and exit
      or with the Dolphin - 'Create New' context menu:

Comment

and the kitchen sink

If you think that the installation of the lxqt-admin is installing too much:

(with the Ubuntu 18.04 & minimal plasma 5 desktop & VirtualBox)

Code:
        Log of sudo apt-get install lxqt-admin 
        Thu Oct  4 07:54:49 2018

Reading package lists...
        Building dependency tree...
        Reading state information..

0 upgraded, 116 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
        Need to get 13.7 MB of archives.
        After this operation, 58.6 MB of additional disk space will be used.
        Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
        There are options - man apt-get:
        OPTIONS

All command line options may be set using the configuration file, the descriptions indicate the configuration option to set. For boolean options you can override the config file by using something like -f-,--no-f, -f=no or several other variations.

--no-install-recommends
        Do not consider recommended packages as a dependency for installing.
        Not installing the kitchen sink:

Code:
        Log of sudo apt-get --no-install-recommends install lxqt-admin 
        Thu Oct  4 07:58:19 2018

Reading package lists...
        Building dependency tree...
        Reading state information.

The following NEW packages will be installed:
        desktop-file-utils liblxqt0 libqt5xdg3 libqt5xdgiconloader3 lxqt-admin
        0 upgraded, 5 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
        Need to get 295 kB of archives.
        After this operation, 1,179 kB of additional disk space will be used.
        Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
        Last edited by Rog131; Oct 03, 2018, 11:38 PM.

Comment

Worked like a charm, Rog131! Thanks!

I, like a lot of others thought that 86 files and 45?? Mb was too much, but then I downloaded the last Kuser-4.14.3 tar file from 2014 and looked at the code, with the idea of compiling it myself. The last line of ku_mainwidget.cpp: "#include "ku_mainwidget.moc", convinced me otherwise. Including the output of the metaobject compiler as part of the cpp source, is something I never had to do in nearly 10 years of coding with Qt.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Thanks!! What I've been looking for. Minimal works great!

Comment

Great post. Good work!!
              I still use kuser. Downloaded a .deb package (forgot the site I downloaded it from) and installed it half a year ago.
              The version is: 4:16.08.0-1+b1

Comment

Has anyone tried this on a current/fresh install of kde neon? I receive an error in muon that lxqt-admin conflicts with lxqt-admin and is not installable. Trying apt-get in the console results in this:

Code:
                [FONT=monospace][COLOR=#54FF54][B]fletch@TRON[/B][/COLOR]:[COLOR=#5454FF][B]~[/B][/COLOR]$ sudo apt-get install lxqt-admin
                Reading package lists... Done
                Building dependency tree        
                Reading state information... Done
                Starting pkgProblemResolver with broken count: 4
                Starting 2 pkgProblemResolver with broken count: 4
                Investigating (0) libqt5xdg3:amd64 < none -> 3.1.0-5build2 @un uN Ib >
                Broken libqt5xdg3:amd64 Depends on libqt5xdgiconloader3:amd64 < none | 3.1.0-5build2 @un uH > (>= 3.0.0)
                Considering libqt5xdgiconloader3:amd64 0 as a solution to libqt5xdg3:amd64 13
                Holding Back libqt5xdg3:amd64 rather than change libqt5xdgiconloader3:amd64
                Investigating (0) lxqt-session:amd64 < none -> 0.12.0-5 @un uN Ib >
                Broken lxqt-session:amd64 Depends on libqt5xdg3:amd64 < none | 3.1.0-5build2 @un uH > (>= 1.3.0)
                Considering libqt5xdg3:amd64 13 as a solution to lxqt-session:amd64 7
                Holding Back lxqt-session:amd64 rather than change libqt5xdg3:amd64
                Investigating (0) lxqt-policykit:amd64 < none -> 0.12.0-3 @un uN Ib >
                Broken lxqt-policykit:amd64 Depends on lxqt-session:amd64 < none | 0.12.0-5 @un uH >
                Considering lxqt-session:amd64 7 as a solution to lxqt-policykit:amd64 7
                Holding Back lxqt-policykit:amd64 rather than change lxqt-session:amd64
                Investigating (0) lxqt-notificationd:amd64 < none -> 0.12.0-3 @un uN Ib >
                Broken lxqt-notificationd:amd64 Depends on libqt5xdg3:amd64 < none | 3.1.0-5build2 @un uH > (>= 1.0.0)
                Considering libqt5xdg3:amd64 13 as a solution to lxqt-notificationd:amd64 6
                Holding Back lxqt-notificationd:amd64 rather than change libqt5xdg3:amd64
                Investigating (0) lxqt-powermanagement:amd64 < none -> 0.12.0-4 @un uN Ib >
                Broken lxqt-powermanagement:amd64 Depends on libqt5xdg3:amd64 < none | 3.1.0-5build2 @un uH > (>= 1.0.0)
                Considering libqt5xdg3:amd64 13 as a solution to lxqt-powermanagement:amd64 3
                Holding Back lxqt-powermanagement:amd64 rather than change libqt5xdg3:amd64
                Investigating (0) pcmanfm-qt:amd64 < none -> 0.12.0-5 @un uN Ib >
                Broken pcmanfm-qt:amd64 Depends on libfm-qt3:amd64 < none | 0.12.0-14build2 @un uH > (>= 0.12.0)
                Considering libfm-qt3:amd64 0 as a solution to pcmanfm-qt:amd64 2
                Holding Back pcmanfm-qt:amd64 rather than change libfm-qt3:amd64
                Investigating (0) lxqt-config:amd64 < none -> 0.12.0-3 @un uN Ib >
                Broken lxqt-config:amd64 Depends on libqt5xdg3:amd64 < none | 3.1.0-5build2 @un uH > (>= 1.0.0)
                Considering libqt5xdg3:amd64 13 as a solution to lxqt-config:amd64 2
                Holding Back lxqt-config:amd64 rather than change libqt5xdg3:amd64
                Investigating (0) lximage-qt:amd64 < none -> 0.6.0-3 @un uN Ib >
                Broken lximage-qt:amd64 Depends on libfm-qt3:amd64 < none | 0.12.0-14build2 @un uH > (>= 0.12.0)
                Considering libfm-qt3:amd64 0 as a solution to lximage-qt:amd64 0
                Holding Back lximage-qt:amd64 rather than change libfm-qt3:amd64
                Investigating (1) liblxqt0:amd64 < none -> 0.12.0-5 @un uN Ib >
                Broken liblxqt0:amd64 Depends on libqt5xdg3:amd64 < none | 3.1.0-5build2 @un uH > (>= 1.0.0)
                Considering libqt5xdg3:amd64 13 as a solution to liblxqt0:amd64 14
                Holding Back liblxqt0:amd64 rather than change libqt5xdg3:amd64
                Investigating (1) lxqt-sudo:amd64 < none -> 0.12.0-3 @un uN Ib >
                Broken lxqt-sudo:amd64 Depends on liblxqt0:amd64 < none | 0.12.0-5 @un uH > (>= 0.9.0+20150911)
                Considering liblxqt0:amd64 14 as a solution to lxqt-sudo:amd64 3
                Holding Back lxqt-sudo:amd64 rather than change liblxqt0:amd64
                Investigating (2) lxqt-admin:amd64 < none -> 0.12.0-4 @un puN Ib >
                Broken lxqt-admin:amd64 Depends on liblxqt0:amd64 < none | 0.12.0-5 @un uH > (>= 0.11.0)
                Considering liblxqt0:amd64 14 as a solution to lxqt-admin:amd64 9999
                 Reinst Failed early because of qtbase-abi-5-9-5:amd64
                 Reinst Failed because of libqt5xdgiconloader3:amd64
                 Reinst Failed because of libqt5xdg3:amd64
                Done
                Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
                requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
                distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
                or been moved out of Incoming.
                The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
                lxqt-admin : Depends: liblxqt0 (>= 0.11.0) but it is not going to be installed
                           Recommends: lxqt-qtplugin but it is not going to be installed
                           Recommends: lxqt-policykit but it is not going to be installed
                E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

[/FONT]
                I assume this stems from the different versions of qt on kde neon 15.14 vs. ubuntu 18.04. Any insight would be appreciated. The lxqt-admin package was a god send in my opinion.
                Last edited by benny_fletch; Nov 10, 2018, 10:29 PM.
                tron: KDE neon User | MacPro5,1 | 3.2GHz Xeon | 48GB RAM | 250GB, 1TB, & 500GB Samsung SSDs | Nvidia GTX 980 Ti

Comment

Are you running the user or developer version of neon?
                  Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                  "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

The user edition (20181108-1900) installed yesterday.

Comment

After installing, did you perform a dist-upgrade? sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
                      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

What Neon is and what it is not.

Originally posted by benny_fletch View Post
                        Has anyone tried this on a current/fresh install of kde neon? I receive an error in muon that lxqt-admin conflicts with lxqt-admin and is not installable. Trying apt-get in the console results in this...:

I assume this stems from the different versions of qt on kde neon 15.14 vs. ubuntu 18.04. Any insight would be appreciated. The lxqt-admin package was a god send in my opinion.
                        Yes - problem is the Qt version.

Ubuntu is using 5.9
                        KDE Neon is using 5.11

Short:

Code:
                        $ sudo apt-get --no-install-recommends install lxqt-admin
                        [sudo] password for rog131: 
                        Reading package lists... Done
                        Building dependency tree       
                        Reading state information... Done
                        Starting pkgProblemResolver with broken count: 1
                        Starting 2 pkgProblemResolver with broken count: 1
                        Investigating (0) libqt5xdg3:amd64 < none -> 3.1.0-5build2 @un uN Ib >
                        Broken libqt5xdg3:amd64 Depends on libqt5xdgiconloader3:amd64 < none | 3.1.0-5build2 @un uH > (>= 3.0.0)
                        Considering libqt5xdgiconloader3:amd64 0 as a solution to libqt5xdg3:amd64 0
                        Holding Back libqt5xdg3:amd64 rather than change libqt5xdgiconloader3:amd64
                        Investigating (1) liblxqt0:amd64 < none -> 0.12.0-5 @un uN Ib >
                        Broken liblxqt0:amd64 Depends on libqt5xdg3:amd64 < none | 3.1.0-5build2 @un uH > (>= 1.0.0)
                        Considering libqt5xdg3:amd64 0 as a solution to liblxqt0:amd64 0
                        Holding Back liblxqt0:amd64 rather than change libqt5xdg3:amd64
                        Investigating (2) lxqt-admin:amd64 < none -> 0.12.0-4 @un puN Ib >
                        Broken lxqt-admin:amd64 Depends on liblxqt0:amd64 < none | 0.12.0-5 @un uH > (>= 0.11.0)
                        Considering liblxqt0:amd64 0 as a solution to lxqt-admin:amd64 9999
                          Reinst Failed early because of qtbase-abi-5-9-5:amd64
                          Reinst Failed because of libqt5xdgiconloader3:amd64
                          Reinst Failed because of libqt5xdg3:amd64
                        Done
                        Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
                        requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
                        distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
                        or been moved out of Incoming.
                        The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
                        lxqt-admin : Depends: liblxqt0 (>= 0.11.0) but it is not going to be installed
                        E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
                        Code:
                        $ apt-cache policy libqt5core5a
                        libqt5core5a:
                        Installed: 5.11.2+dfsg-0xneon+18.04+bionic+build47
                        Candidate: 5.11.2+dfsg-0xneon+18.04+bionic+build47
                        Version table:
                        *** 5.11.2+dfsg-0xneon+18.04+bionic+build47 500
                        500 http://archive.neon.kde.org/user bionic/main amd64 Packages
                        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
                        5.11.2+dfsg-0xneon+18.04+bionic+build46 500
                        5.11.2+dfsg-0xneon+18.04+bionic+build45 500
                        5.11.2+dfsg-0xneon+18.04+bionic+build10 500
                        5.9.5+dfsg-0ubuntu1 500
                        500 http://fi.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic/main amd64 Packages
                        Code:
                        Package: libqt5core5a

Version: 5.11.2+dfsg-0xneon+18.04+bionic+build47

Maintainer: Neon CI <neon@kde.org>

Provides: qtbase-abi-5-11-0
                        Code:
                        Package: libqt5core5a

Version: 5.9.5+dfsg-0ubuntu1

Origin: Ubuntu
                        Maintainer: Ubuntu Developers <ubuntu-devel-discuss@lists.ubuntu.com>

Provides: qtbase-abi-5-9-5
                        What Neon is and what it is not - consequences

Officially: https://neon.kde.org

The latest and greatest of KDE community software packaged on a rock-solid base.
                        My version:
                        - The Neon is a KDE showcase / testbed.
                        - KDE is piggybacking Ubuntu repositories so the KDE doesn't have full control of all applications - Neon is not a distribution.

It mean that if you are trying install a Qt based application from the Ubuntu repositories you could bump to the version (size) mismatch.

Last edited by Rog131; Nov 11, 2018, 03:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                          After installing, did you perform a dist-upgrade? sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
                          No, I was unaware this was necessary on a fresh install of kde neon.

Originally posted by Rog131 View Post
                          Yes - problem is the Qt version.

Ubuntu is using 5.9
                          KDE Neon is using 5.11

What Neon is and what it is not - consequences

It mean that if you are trying install a Qt based application from the Ubuntu repositories you could bump to the version (size) mismatch.
                          Understandable, it is what it is. Thank you for confirming this was the problem. I will have to make due or find a different solution for managing user accounts. It is sad KDE ships a watered down user management gui (ie no group membership management), but this isn't something new to the technology world and I have definitely seen similar tactics in other OSes. Thank you both for your input!

Comment

Working...
                          X