X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I Do This to Keep My System Clean?

Merry Christmas everyone.

Perhaps as ya'll recall, you cleaned up my system when I was having an issue. I was merely the key stroker. https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...nges-Error-Msg

Today i was perusing the forum and ran across this from Snowhog. I was wondering if I can do all of these now and then to keep my system at the state you took me to.

"You need to clean up your system.

Open a konsole and run:

sudo apt-get clean && sudo apt-get autoclean && sudo apt-get autoremove
    • apt-get clean → cleans the packages and install script in /var/cache/apt/archives/
    • apt-get autoclean → cleans obsolete deb-packages, less than clean
    • apt-get autoremove → removes orphaned packages which are not longer needed from the system, but not purges them, use the --purge option together with the command for that.

When it’s finished, close the konsole, logout and reboot."

Thanks
    Kubuntu 14.04 / KDE 4.13.3 / GRUB Version: 0.97-29ubuntu66
    HP15 -
    -f033wm Laptop / CPU: Intel / GPU: Intel Corporation Atom Processor / RAM: 8GB / Hard Drive: 1 each / Seagate / Optical Drive: HP DVDRW GUB0N / Windows 10

On my Kubuntu installs, it's the approach I utilize every time I boot up. Period. Without exceptions. I run these commands (I've made it easier by including them into an alias) after I've updated and upgraded (dist-upgrade) my system, which again, I do every time I boot up.

So, for me, it's:

Boot into Kubuntu
    Open a konsole and run: sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade (for you, running 14.04.5, you'd be using apt-get dist-upgrade)
    IF packages are identified for upgrading, their downloaded and installed. Afterwards I run the cleaning commands I cited.

Doing this ensures that our system is fully up to date with available package updates, and that downloaded packages, after having been installed, are deleted, packages that were installed but no longer needed by the system are uninstalled, and older installed kernels are removed. This ensures that space in your root partitions space doesn't get consumed unnecessarily or so quickly.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Or again, you could install and use ucaresystem-core, which does the above and more

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20171222_221529.png
Views:	2
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	643698
      ​"Keep it between the ditches"
      K*Digest Blog
      K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by dequire View Post
        Or again, you could install and use ucaresystem-core, which does the above and more
        And I have this script 'installed' and use it as well.

Comment

It doesn't seem to install correctly for my Neon/Kubuntu configuration.

Comment

Originally posted by dequire View Post
            OK so I have seen you push this before ,,,,,and just took a look at the page linked to .

you seem to use it so I will ask you ,,,,,,,dose it run "apt upgrade" or "apt full-upgrade" or can you tell it witch to use?

VINNY
            i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
            16GB RAM
            Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by oldgeek View Post
              It doesn't seem to install correctly for my Neon/Kubuntu configuration.
              in what way do you mean ?

@hear if I download the ucaresystem-core_4.3.0_all.deb for xenial and rite click it >open with>QApt package installer ,,,it tells me it needs 18 additional packages (mostly gnome and GTK stuff that would be ok) ,,,,,,,I have not done it yet .

VINNY
              16GB RAM

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
                dose it run "apt upgrade" or "apt full-upgrade" or can you tell it witch to use?

VINNY
                apt full-upgrade

Comment

Originally posted by logan01 View Post
                  sudo apt-get clean && sudo apt-get autoclean && sudo apt-get autoremove
                  Running "autoclean" after "clean" is redundant, it doesn't remove anything the previous clean hadn't already removed from the package cache.
                  Also, if you're in a habit of cleaning the package cache fairly regularly, you could probably consider configuring apt to not cache packages at all, removing the necessity to "clean" them.

Comment

in what way do you mean ?

@hear if I download the ucaresystem-core_4.3.0_all.deb for xenial and rite click it >open with>QApt package installer ,,,it tells me it needs 18 additional packages (mostly gnome and GTK stuff that would be ok) ,,,,,,,I have not done it yet .

VINNY
                    I did all that, and it seems to work, yet I get error messages in the process, even though it says it's done. I can't copy/paste the output, but one message is that it can't find a neon/xenial template; another is that errors were found while processing ucare-core, without specifying what those erros were. I can do all this maintenance stuff the way I used to, but ucare-core seems a nice way to do it all quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                      apt full-upgrade
                      humm the page linked to said "apt upgrade" ,,,,the deborphan thing is all that makes me apprehensive for trying it .

VINNY
                      16GB RAM

Comment

Originally posted by oldgeek View Post
                        is that it can't find a neon/xenial template;
                        yes and it wont ,,,,,their is a way to change how it would read this as ubuntu and be ok ...but this is one more thing that makes me apprehensive for trying it on a non-standard system like ours .

I think I will stick with running my own package maintenance tasks.

VINNY
                        16GB RAM

Comment

yes and it wont ,,,,,their is a way to change how it would read this as ubuntu and be ok ...but this is one more thing that makes me apprehensive for trying it on a non-standard system like ours .

I think I will stick with running my own package maintenance tasks.

VINNY
                          Not sure what you mean here, as I only run KDE Neon on multiple systems and have never seen such messages in the years I've run it...It's made for any debian-based distro; Ubu, Kubu, Mint, Neon, should make no difference. The source code is here - feel free to peruse it. The relevant section is

Code:
                          [TABLE="class: highlight tab-size js-file-line-container"]
                          [TR]
                          [TD="class: blob-code blob-code-inner js-file-line"][COLOR=#6A737D]#Variables[/COLOR][/TD]
                          [/TR]
                          [TR]
                          [TD="class: blob-num js-line-number, align: right"][/TD]
                          [TD="class: blob-code blob-code-inner js-file-line"]DIST_CODENAME=[COLOR=#032F62]$(lsb_release --codename [COLOR=#D73A49]|[/COLOR] cut -f2)[/COLOR][/TD]
                          [/TR]
                          [TR]
                          [TD="class: blob-code blob-code-inner js-file-line"]DATE=(date +%F_%T)[/TD]
                          [/TR]
                          [TR]
                          [TD="class: blob-code blob-code-inner js-file-line"]UCARE_VERSION=(4.3.0)[/TD]
                          [/TR]
                          [/TABLE]
                          On KDE Neon the command "lsb_release --codename | cut -f2" just returns "xenial". It is used for those wishing to versions (i.e. xenial to yakkety) using the proper switch (do-release-upgrade or do-release-upgrade -d); otherwise isn't relevant, as it's just using whatever sources one already has on their PC. See:

Code:
                          ## Updates packages and libraries    
                            [COLOR=#ff0000]sudo apt full-upgrade -y;[/COLOR]
                            echo
                            echo "###############################################"
                            echo "Finished updating packages and system libraries"
                            echo "###############################################"
                            sleep 1
                            echo
                          But really, whatever works for one, by all means, is what should be used. I really am not here to "push" it any more than saying I use "xxx" browser. Take it for what it's worth, I merely wish to inform.
                          ​"Keep it between the ditches"
                          K*Digest Blog
                          K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

humm the page linked to said "apt upgrade" ,,,,the deborphan thing is all that makes me apprehensive for trying it .

VINNY
                            I believe that is actually true, and if I wasn’t able to change that, I wouldn’t use it. I edited the script and replaced “apt upgrade” with apt-full-upgrade”. Running “apt upgrade” is a sure way (IMO) to wreck havoc on your system!
                            Last edited by Snowhog; Dec 25, 2017, 08:59 AM.

Comment

Thanks guys. Hope you all have a great New Year.
                              Kubuntu 14.04 / KDE 4.13.3 / GRUB Version: 0.97-29ubuntu66
                              HP15 -
                              -f033wm Laptop / CPU: Intel / GPU: Intel Corporation Atom Processor / RAM: 8GB / Hard Drive: 1 each / Seagate / Optical Drive: HP DVDRW GUB0N / Windows 10

Comment

Working...
                              X