This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
    I believe that is actually true, and if I wasn’t able to change that, I wouldn’t use it. I edited the script and replaced “apt upgrade” with apt-full-upgrade”. Running “apt upgrade” is a sure way (IMO) to wreck havoc on your system!
    How would I edit the script? I've never done that before--not intentionally, at any rate.

Comment

Originally posted by oldgeek View Post
      How would I edit the script? I've never done that before--not intentionally, at any rate.
      it dos not appear to need editing if you have the latest ver ,,,

from the script ,,,,,,,,,,,,

Code:
      ## Updates package lists
         sudo apt update;
         echo
         echo "###############################"
         echo "Finished updating package lists"
         sleep 1

## Updates packages and libraries
         [COLOR=#ff0000]sudo apt full-upgrade -y;[/COLOR]
         echo
         echo "###############################################"
         echo "Finished updating packages and system libraries"
         sleep 1
         echo
      VINNY
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
        it dos not appear to need editing if you have the latest ver ,,,

from the script ,,,,,,,,,,,,

Code:
        ## Updates package lists
          sudo apt update;
          echo
          echo "Finished updating package lists"
          sleep 1

## Updates packages and libraries
          [COLOR=#ff0000]sudo apt full-upgrade -y;[/COLOR]
          echo
          echo "Finished updating packages and system libraries"
          sleep 1
          echo
        VINNY
        That's almost literally what I just posted above! At any rate, it's a great tool! If one chooses to use it or not doesn't change that fact.
        ​"Keep it between the ditches"
        K*Digest Blog
        K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by dequire View Post
          That's almost literally what I just posted above! At any rate, it's a great tool! If one chooses to use it or not doesn't change that fact.
          I am sorry if I seamed to be disparaging to what is obviously one of your preferred tools ...I did not mean to come across like that ,,,,but re-reading it all I guess I did.

after looking over the script it looks ok to me ,,,,but I am apprehensive toured automated scripts like this for package management as I have been bit in the Arss by things like this befor and I think it was "deborphan " that got me ,,,so it being in the script gives me pause.

+ I like to see what is going to be done and have the chance to cancel if I do not like what I see.

when I said in post#6 ,,,"OK so I have seen you push this before " ,,,I did not mean it like your pushing obscure scripts at us ,,,,,my bad choice of words it should have been "recommend" ,,,,,,I "push" things I like as well ,,,,,like QMplay2 .

again I apologize if I seamed to be badmouthing one of your go to tools ,,,,it dose look like a good one for most people.

VINNY
          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
          16GB RAM
          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Actually, Vinny, I for one appreciate your scepticism. I like the program, but every time I run it get a series of error messages while it seems to complete every task assigned to it. I'm including a screenshot with a highlighted section which appears during every task. I don't know why I keep getting it and I don't know what is wrong. As long as I keep getting this I do not depend on ucare for my daily maintenance tasks. Can anyone tell me what's going on?
            Attached Files

Comment

The image you posted is to small to be able to read the text when zoomed in on. Can you repost with a full-sized image, or just copy/paste the relevant text?
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Hmm, I thought it was a full-sized image. Here's another version, and it seemed to zoom all right in Firefox.
                Attached Files

Comment

You have a 3rd Party Repository -- Utappia -- which doesn't appear to be available for neon/xenial. That in itself raises the question: why are you using a neon/xenial PPA in a Trusty installation? Mixing repository versions is generally not a good idea.

Comment

I use this script to clean up the mess. It runs deborphan over and over until there are no orphaned packages left. Be careful, though - and make sure you understand and agree with deborphan's output before telling it to go ahead

Code:
                    #!/bin/bash
                    # run deborphan and remove the output packages untill there are no more
                    while true; do
                       if [[ $(deborphan --guess-all) ]]; then
                           apt-get purge `deborphan --guess-all`
                           apt-get --purge autoremove
                       else
                           break
                       fi
                    done
                    we see things not as they are, but as we are.
                    -- anais nin

Comment

I just check and Utappia does have xenial packages. I wonder if you have a mis-configured source in apt for that PPA.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20171227_131812.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	643704

Please Read Me

Comment

Ah. So the PPA is where ucaresystem-core is obtained. But he's using neon/xenial instead of trusty. He should just need to change the designation in the utappia sources list file to trusty. Then update the package cache and re-run the script.

Comment

I'm not the one using Trusty. I have a Neon/Kubuntu hybrid (16.04) and was taking advantage of the thread to ask why I got the error messages. I just followed the link to download and install it. Maybe it's the hybrid nature of my OS. I have no error messages with Lubuntu (on my old netbook).

Comment

This might be related to the above problem, so I'm posting it here. I tried to install the latest SM Player (17.12) but when I tried to add the repository I got the same type of message as with Utappia repository.

Comment

oldgeek, do you get any errors when you run sudo apt update in a terminal?

Please Read Me

Comment

No errors at all. Just when I try to add the repos.
                                Last edited by oldgeek; Dec 27, 2017, 04:45 PM. Reason: more info

Comment

Working...
                                X