This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LibreOffice Fonts

Now that I have 17.10, LibreOffice fonts no longer match up with my old documents, I.e., the fonts that I used to use have disappeared!

I now have a whole lot of fonts for languages other than American English. Now I realize that American English is not used throughout the world and Kubuntu is used internationally, but I am literate in one language only and that is American English. In my previous experience with LibreOffice, I could choose which language fonts I wanted to use. It appears, at least as far as my investigations have found, that I can no longer do that. I have to use all of those other language fonts irregardless of whether I can read and write them. Having those other fonts may be nice, but I have also lost those English Latin fonts that I used prolifically.

When I now open an old document in LibreOffice All of those fonts I used to use are displayed in Time New Roman, which isn't a bad font, but it is NOT the font used in creating the document which gave a better visual effect.

LibreOffice claims that the font displayed is the font I originally used, but it is really Times New Roman. Big Difference.

Looking on the internet (wiki.documentfoundation.org), I find that the fonts used in LibreOffice are now families of fonts. None of those listed contains the fonts I used and loved.

Does anyone know how to tell LibreOffice how to use only American English latin fonts? I could find no way to do that. I seems that the LibreOffice developers have decided that the users are going to have to use the fonts they have settled on and only those. Well probably not, but they do not make it easy to change the fonts desired.

See https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/....cgi?id=104701 in case it's relevant.
    Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Forget this question. I have found the answer - adding fonts to Kubuntu. Found a good site for a LOT of fonts:

https://fontlibrary.org

Now if I can find the UAW Chancery. Found a few that seem to be similar.

Comment

“UAW” ? A Google search on UAW Chancery font doesn’t come up with anything using UAW. What does it stand for?
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
          “UAW” ? A Google search on UAW Chancery font doesn’t come up with anything using UAW. What does it stand for?
          It's URW Chancery. Some programs other than LibreOffice, such as Calligra, still use PS Type 1 URW fonts as discussed in the bug I linked to.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by chimak111; Dec 24, 2017, 11:19 AM.
          Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

I found Chancery and Coronet. I run Win10 under Vbox and looked at the fonts in Win10. Both Coronet and Chancery were there. Moved copies over to the directory shared with Linux. Funny that Linux thinks that everybody should be international from the get-go now and so no longer sets up fonts particular to the language of choice of the user. But MS still does. At least my installation of win10 does. Exactly the opposite of what I would have expected.

But reading the bug report you pointed to above. I have serious doubts that the Coronet & Chancery fonts will useful.

Just looked at the Coronet and Chancery font files and they are both TTF. Installed the fonts and opened LibreOffice and they are both listed in the font list there and both seem to work just fine.

So I got some excellant fonts back and a lot more.
            Last edited by geezer; Dec 25, 2017, 11:20 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X